Tuesday, May 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS TEACHERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
W. J. Bryan gave the keynote speech at this man’s high school graduation in 1919; 6 years later their paths would cross again

Sara Holub: 9400+5000=14400
Mary Parker: 22200+4450=26650 (Semi-Finalist)
Eduardo Sevilla: 13800-1795=12005

Correct response:
Spoiler
John Scopes (Mary – [going for Darrow] Dal Scopes) (Eduardo – C. Darrow)

Daily Doubles
Mary: 2800+1000
Sara: 5800-2000
Eduardo: 9000+4000

Coryats
Sara: 11400
Mary: 22000
Eduardo: 11800

Combined: 45,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The combined Coryat of 45,200 and only about 5 TS clues is people’s exhibit B about the slightly easier material for this tournament. Already after two days we are assured of no craziness of a $0 or $1 score making a wildcard.

Mary did not always sound 100% confident in her responses, but the results were there.

The FJ! category had me thinking ancient Greece and the SPA guys or Annie Sullivan. The clue had keeping my show off factor to a minimum as I added John while refraining from including the T. on my sheet.
During think time my thought was, “Please don’t have anyone with Scope without the S at the end.” I did not anticipate Darrow getting a mention and a half.

I’M GOING TO HAVE TO CONFISCATE THAT brought back memories of having my transistor radio taken away during 9th grade lunch time when I was caught listening to a (most likely) Phillies/Dodgers playoff game. My junior high counselor gave it back at the end of the day.

4th – 6th grade at elementary school I would have had a Beaver Cleaver like collection of stuff I brought to school and never had to hand over anything.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did start with Darrow but then quickly corrected myself to the right person.

A better game than yesterday and we could see all three again.

The Phillies and Dodgers met in the NLCS in 1977 and 1978, if those years match up with your ninth grade.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue May 09, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:48 pm The combined Coryat of 45,200 and only about 5 TS clues is people’s exhibit B about the slightly easier material for this tournament.
Or, we could have just had smart contestants?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks to the reddit guy for leaving on the commercial from the Alabama Hammer at the beginning of the video. I urge everyone to watch it if you want to see what I get to see on a regular basis. (And his aren't the worst).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:53 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:48 pm The combined Coryat of 45,200 and only about 5 TS clues is people’s exhibit B about the slightly easier material for this tournament.
Or, we could have just had smart contestants?
The contestants today were indeed smart and I was not intending to slight them. The 61 clues as a whole today were a little easier than any set from May 1 - May 5. That's not the fault of the contestants. It's the writers that do some kind of adjustment for this tournament like all other tournaments. May 8 - 19 is not regular play material.

Bamaman: I certain it's Fall 1977 when I was in 9th grade and not high school Fall 1978. My slight (5%ish) doubt was that it was perhaps Yankees/Royals pt. deux even though I'm a strong NL guy. 1975 & 1976 I would not have cared enough about Reds, Pirates, or Phillies over play time in the yard (or other off limits areas as the case may have been).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How did volcano have two negs? That's one of the more obvious cognates I've ever seen.

Berg = mountain, playa = beach, and fiume = river seemed extremely obscure though. I saw no way to puzzle those out barring my own fluency in Spanish.

I recognized nothing in that Film category. WLT Tina Fey at $200?

That Barbie clue was total word salad to me. Micro who whats?

Yes, I got "Ferret".

NHO "egg cream", my only miss in the category.

WLT sovereign or Boeing at $400?

Remembering "potter's field" from a previous FJ! helped me run that category. Surprised it was gotten today, because IIRC the "potter's field" FJ! was a TS on-air with a very low poll rate here.

No guess on FJ! as usual.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Eduardo didn't get FJ right, but that wager reveals he certainly reads the fan pages. I'll be rooting for him in the semis if he makes the cut.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

INstaget and in my excitement nearly offered Darrow, re-reading clue >>> Scopes, LOL! Seems a common mis-take as 2/3 contestants did also; can we poll?! :o

44R; LT: 1905 'atoms'; MDD: Capt Ahab ("From Hell's Heart I stab at thee, I spit my last breath at thee!!) :shock:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

another near-Darrow here, corrected in time.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That DJ was truly negbaity. I started with Darrow but realized in time that he couldn't have graduated high school only 6 years before the Scopes trial. LOL. In fact, Darrow was older than Bryan. Good one, writers.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Near-instaget FJ. First impulse was Darrow but a quick look at the year in the clue led me to lock in Scopes, as no way Darrow would have been trying such a high-profile case 6 years after graduating from high school (when he would have been no older than 24).
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:48 pm The FJ! category had me thinking ancient Greece and the SPA guys or Annie Sullivan.
Those were my precalls too, although I threw in "Mary Kay Letourneau" just for funsies. :D

I know it was only $200, but the "Genius" clue asking about a theory that Einstein put forth was not well-constructed in calling for a response of "theory of relativity." AFAIU, there's no such thing as the "theory of relativity"; there's the theory of general relativity and the quite different theory of special relativity.

It was funny to hear a contestant say "What is Aleppo?" after that famous Gary Johnson moment during last year's Presidential campaign.E

Oh, and this post by yours truly in the Current Events thread earlier today was timely:

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3951&start=258

:)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Does the winner of the game get to keep her money? If the only prize at stake is qualifying, I can't see the point of wagering anything, when $22k seems like lock for a wildcard if it even comes to that.

Lach trash: Fist Fight, I guess I can forgive the advertisers for showing that trailer nonstop on TV and Youtube ads.

No clue on FJ.

Would they accept "the queen" for that one about the one person not allowed in the House of Commons?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A few weeks ago letters vs. words was contagious. Today it seems like there is a bad case of category-itis going around. FAMOUS TEACHERS not FAMOUS LAWYERS

Sure, I can poll about Darrow detours although sometimes the category is just as important as the clue.
davey

Post by davey »

Wheatley wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:54 pm Does the winner of the game get to keep her money? If the only prize at stake is qualifying, I can't see the point of wagering anything, when $22k seems like lock for a wildcard if it even comes to that.

Lach trash: Fist Fight, I guess I can forgive the advertisers for showing that trailer nonstop on TV and Youtube ads.

No clue on FJ.

Would they accept "the queen" for that one about the one person not allowed in the House of Commons?
Between the contestant's "the sovereign" and Alex's "at the moment, Queen Elizabeth," it's clearly Yes.
Another instanot of Darrow, then remembering the category, in plenty of time.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Only watched half the game so far, but already annoyed by two clues in "Genius".

1. It's criminal that there was no BMS for "theory of relativity", considering Einstein had both the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity, which are very different. The equation E=MC^2 is associated with the former.

2. "Atom" for the TS is flat-out wrong. "Photon" is correct.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

IronNeck wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:13 pm It's criminal that there was no BMS for "theory of relativity", considering Einstein had both the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity, which are very different. The equation E=MC^2 is associated with the former.
I mentioned this clue in my comment upthread. It would have been just cruel to BMS on that (thereby expecting people to know the difference between the two theories of relativity), especially on a top-row clue in a category where even the $1,000 clue (patent clerk) was a gimme. The problem is that the clue appeared to be set up for the nonexistent "theory of relativity" to be an acceptable response (although I'm sure they would have accepted special theory of relativity). The clue would have been better worded if it had read along the lines of ". . . the special theory of this."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 pm The problem is that the clue appeared to be set up for the nonexistent "theory of relativity" to be an acceptable response (although I'm sure they would have accepted special theory of relativity). The clue would have been better worded if it had read along the lines of ". . . the special theory of this."
Agreed.

Anyways, a fun game aside from those two poor clues.

LT: Fist Fight, photons (NOT atoms), Captain Ahab

FJ: Actually considered Darrow myself for a half-second...but switched to Scopes before Alex finished reading the question.