Tuesday, May 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:13 pm 2. "Atom" for the TS is flat-out wrong. "Photon" is correct.
"Einstein imagined the motion of these units of matter and gave the first experimental proof of their existence in 1905"
No, it's atoms.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Volante wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:38 pm
IronNeck wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:13 pm 2. "Atom" for the TS is flat-out wrong. "Photon" is correct.
"Einstein imagined the motion of these units of matter and gave the first experimental proof of their existence in 1905"
No, it's atoms.
Yeah, photons aren't units of matter.

http://ansnuclearcafe.org/2012/03/20/al ... czVPm.dpbs

"Einstein also in 1905 mathematically proved the existence of atoms, and thus helped revolutionize all the sciences through the use of statistics and probability. "
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 pm The problem is that the clue appeared to be set up for the nonexistent "theory of relativity" to be an acceptable response (although I'm sure they would have accepted special theory of relativity). The clue would have been better worded if it had read along the lines of ". . . the special theory of this."
https://www.ibiblio.org/ebooks/Einstein ... tivity.pdf

The first sentence of the preface of one of Einstein's own works uses the term "Theory of Relativity." It's absurd to argue that the phrase is incorrect.

I got Scopes. Thought about Darrow and Teddy Roosevelt first.

I got Francis Macomber. I read that story and some of Hemingway's other short stories earlier this year. I heard nice things about "Green Hills of Africa" so I gave his short stories a try. I recommend sticking with "Old Man and the Sea", "The Sun Also Rises", and "A Farewell to Arms."

Plot Spoilers of The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber:
Spoiler
The Short, Happy Life of Francis Macomber wasn't very enjoyable. Francis was kind of wimpy and went on a safari with his wife who liked to tease and goad him. His wife ended up sleeping with the outdoorsy safari tour guide while insulting Francis. Eventually Francis has an "Office Space"-like change of temperament and just stops caring about it. He becomes friends with the safari guide and they go hunt a lion together. His wife shoots at a lion because there is some danger and ends up killing Francis. So Francis finally started living his life and then he died.
I mixed up Simon Bolivar and Che Guevara. I knew Bolivar was more associated with Venezuela but I didn't know he was born in Basque Country in Spain and I didn't think of Che Guevara.

I missed Titicaca. I knew that and I'm not sure how I missed one of the most memorable names ever. I'll have to remember that one.

I'm happy that one of the contestants got Colombia correct. Similar clues have been missed before.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:43 pm
No, it's atoms.
And Einstein didn't experimentally prove their existence in 1905. (Or--correct me if I'm wrong--in any other year?)

The only part of the clue that fits "photons" is "Einstein imagined the motion of these units."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 pm
No, it's atoms.
And Einstein didn't experimentally prove their existence in 1905. (Or--correct me if I'm wrong--in any other year?)

The only part of the clue that fits "photons" is "Einstein imagined the motion of these units."
Wiki says this...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cber ... n_Teilchen
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 pm The problem is that the clue appeared to be set up for the nonexistent "theory of relativity" to be an acceptable response (although I'm sure they would have accepted special theory of relativity). The clue would have been better worded if it had read along the lines of ". . . the special theory of this."

The first sentence of the preface of one of Einstein's own works uses the term "Theory of Relativity." It's absurd to argue that the phrase is incorrect
You mean, the work that's titled Relativity: The General and Special Theory? Okay then. At most (assuming the translation into English was accurate), the phrase from the preface that you seized on proves either that AE needed a better editor, or that as a writer he makes a great scientist. It can't seriously be disputed that there are two separate Einsteinian theories of relativity. See Parts I and II into which the book you cited is divided. See also this video, and pay attention to the very first sentence that the host utters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QA8y-xGlRI
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue May 09, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

No, it's atoms.

Einstein published 4 papers in 1905. One (the third) was on the "special theory."
The first 1905 paper developed a formula for the average displacement of particles subjected to the Brownian motion and had far-reaching effects in providing evidence for the atomic theory. The second paper, for which he won his Nobel prize, was a development of quantum theory to account for the phenomenon of the photoelectric effect.
--from the Oxford Who's Who in the 20th Century
So, one deals with atoms, one deals with photons.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:04 pm
No, it's atoms.

Einstein published 4 papers in 1905. One (the third) was on the "special theory."
The first 1905 paper developed a formula for the average displacement of particles subjected to the Brownian motion and had far-reaching effects in providing evidence for the atomic theory. The second paper, for which he won his Nobel prize, was a development of quantum theory to account for the phenomenon of the photoelectric effect.
But none called photons "units of matter." And again, correct me if I'm wrong, the paper on the photoelectric effect did not provide experimental proof of the existence of photons. As I understand it, that paper hypothesized the existence of photons in order to explain the results of earlier experiments by Max Planck (and maybe Heinrich Hertz?) In other words, he did not provide "the first experimental proof of their existence in 1905".
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:23 pm
davey wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:04 pm
No, it's atoms.

But none called photons "units of matter." And again, correct me if I'm wrong, the paper on the photoelectric effect did not provide experimental proof of the existence of photons. As I understand it, that paper hypothesized the existence of photons in order to explain the results of earlier experiments by Max Planck (and maybe Heinrich Hertz?) In other words, he did not provide "the first experimental proof of their existence in 1905".
Yes. The clue was correct. But the misapprehension may be explained.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:25 pm Yes. The clue was correct. But the misapprehension may be explained.
Oh, absolutely! Einstein. 1905. Imagined units of something-or-other. It's easy to go off course. (Though I draw the line at saying "photon" was negbait. :D )
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I'll admit that I'm the dumb-dumb and confess that I put Darrow down. I figured that it was either Darrow or Scopes, but I wasn't able to come up with a date for the trial in the allotted time. I guess that the date of is now something I have to commit to memory.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 11:02 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 pm

The first sentence of the preface of one of Einstein's own works uses the term "Theory of Relativity." It's absurd to argue that the phrase is incorrect
You mean, the work that's titled Relativity: The General and Special Theory? Okay then. At most (assuming the translation into English was accurate), the phrase from the preface that you seized on proves either that AE needed a better editor, or that as a writer he makes a great scientist.
I'm willing to give Einstein the benefit of the doubt that he knew whether it was proper to speak of "the theory of relativity" in a generic sense as encompassing both the general and special theories.

The phrase being translated is Die Relativitätstheorie. After the preface, of course, Einstein divides the discussion into die spezielle Relativitätstheorie and die allgemeine Relativitätstheorie. So in the German it would appear to be natural to think of Relativitytheory as one thing which has both a special and a general aspect or application. Those applications would, of course, be theories themselves. A sub-theory is still a theory. But it's also part of a larger theory.

My conclusion is that it was possible but not necessary to provide a more specific response for this clue.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pmToday it seems like there is a bad case of category-itis going around. FAMOUS TEACHERS not FAMOUS LAWYERS

Sure, I can poll about Darrow detours although sometimes the category is just as important as the clue.
I forgot about the category! I just knew that Bryan and Darrow were both about the same age. There's no way Bryan spoke at Darrow's high school graduation unless Bryan was class valedictorian or something. And it would've been way earlier than 1919. Those guys were both getting up in years by the 1925 Scopes trial. So Darrow was an obvious impossibility regardless of the category. (Sorry to all you Darrow guessers. I've been in your shoes many times.) That left only one reasonable guess.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Genius (3), Films (4), Dictionary (3), Geographic (2), Small (1), Stamp (2)
Page (4), South America (4), Included/Excluded (3), December 2016 (5), "FIELD" (3), Confiscate (5)

No Lach Trash; Daily Double: Captain Ahab

My immediate thought when I saw Bryan's name was Clarence Darrow, but "high school graduation" and "1919" quickly brought me to John Scopes.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: The combined Coryat of 45,200 and only about 5 TS clues is people’s exhibit B about the slightly easier material for this tournament.
Or, we could have just had smart contestants?
The contestants today were indeed smart and I was not intending to slight them. The 61 clues as a whole today were a little easier than any set from May 1 - May 5. That's not the fault of the contestants. It's the writers that do some kind of adjustment for this tournament like all other tournaments. May 8 - 19 is not regular play material.
I definately noticed a less difficult board than usual. I was rattling off correct answers (ahead of the contestants) at a good clip. I don't keep score but I estimate I knew about 80% of both boards. That's way better than a normal game for me.
I got the Captain Ahab DD, but I expect many of the boardies did also.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Surprised at how many of you backed away from Darrow because of the years involved. Like many of you, I'll be checking the "considered Darrow at first" box, but only because for a second I thought Darrow was the teacher, not the lawyer. Once I remembered who was what, I wrote down the right answer. Ages had nothing to do with it.
Wheatley wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:54 pm Would they accept "the queen" for that one about the one person not allowed in the House of Commons?
I'm almost certain they will. I'd be upset about it (as it's not just the queen, but any British monarch, King George VI wasn't allowed in either), but it's totally in character for them to accept "the queen".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pm A few weeks ago letters vs. words was contagious. Today it seems like there is a bad case of category-itis going around. FAMOUS TEACHERS not FAMOUS LAWYERS

Sure, I can poll about Darrow detours although sometimes the category is just as important as the clue.
Even though I had no idea about the answer, as soon as I saw the category I said, "I bet the answer is someone who's famous for something other than being a teacher." Because that just seemed like a Jeopardy thing to do.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

Observations in the DECEMBER 2016 category:

$800: Oh, duh! GJ has been meme-ified because of this.
$1,600: Listening to that NPR article paid off!

Oh, and I have noticed the ease in difficulty. Two $12K Coryats in a row for me! Still, I need to keep up with my Coryat classes...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Wheatley wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 7:08 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pm A few weeks ago letters vs. words was contagious. Today it seems like there is a bad case of category-itis going around. FAMOUS TEACHERS not FAMOUS LAWYERS

Even though I had no idea about the answer, as soon as I saw the category I said, "I bet the answer is someone who's famous for something other than being a teacher." Because that just seemed like a Jeopardy thing to do.
But you're saying you were wrong about this, correct? I guess you could argue John Scopes is most famous for being a defendant in a famous trial, but he was defending his actions as a teacher.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 7:31 pm How did volcano have two negs? That's one of the more obvious cognates I've ever seen.

Berg = mountain, playa = beach, and fiume = river seemed extremely obscure though. I saw no way to puzzle those out barring my own fluency in Spanish.
Playa figures into place names, most notably Playa del Carmen. The French word plage is pretty close.
Berg figures into "iceberg". It's the same in German.

I got both of those, but I know some Spanish and German. I guessed the obvious volcano on Vulkan.

Fiume is a bit more obscure, IMHO. I had no guess. My wife guessed waterfall or rapids, off of the cognate flume. Flumen is the Latin.

I said Isle for Ile - I presume they'd have given me that.