Tuesday, May 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 pm I'm happy that one of the contestants got Colombia correct. Similar clues have been missed before.
Given its proximity to the US and the relatively smaller number of countries / languages / geographical features than say, Europe, Asia or Africa, I'm surprised to see contestants miss any clues about South America ever.

I liked the pace and difficulty level of this game. Not keeping track of my tournament score, but this seemed closer to regular game difficulty. A number of clues went right over my head or I had no guess, and picked up zero LT. But that's just me 8-)

Shoulda got atoms, Dashiel Hammet and track & field, but blurted out molecules, Raymond Chandler and gymnastics.

Captain Ahab was a stunning miss. FJ was a gimme, though I also briefly considered Darrow.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $38,400
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sherry, Fist Fight, Captain Ahab (DD)

Put me down as another "started on Darrow, switched to Scopes." (Poll request!) I realized the whole time that they were looking for the teacher rather than Bryan's opposing counsel, but it took me a few seconds to remember that it was the "Scopes monkey trial."
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:53 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:48 pm The combined Coryat of 45,200 and only about 5 TS clues is people’s exhibit B about the slightly easier material for this tournament.
Or, we could have just had smart contestants?
As an additional data point, my average Coryat for the past two nights is nearly $8,000 higher than my adjusted (to 60 clues per game) average Coryat for this season's regular-play games. I would guess that I have had similar spreads in prior seasons. David posted his averages for the past few seasons in another thread, with similar results.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 7:31 pm I recognized nothing in that Film category. WLT Tina Fey at $200?
Fey famously wrote and played the teacher in Mean Girls. It was her first big project outside of SNL.
Sprinkles are for winners.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

On the subject of poll requests, can we poll for those who, like me, negged with Bolivar for Guevara on that one DD? I say this knowing that the poll results may make me look like an idiot. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:54 pm
I know it was only $200, but the "Genius" clue asking about a theory that Einstein put forth was not well-constructed in calling for a response of "theory of relativity." AFAIU, there's no such thing as the "theory of relativity"; there's the theory of general relativity and the quite different theory of special relativity.
I had a different issue with one of the "Genius" clues. They showed a clip of ballroom dancers while the clue had something about a theory of matter not yet proven. It was a TS with the answer given as "atoms." My wife and I watched that episode, and we both recalled Einstein being berated about "molecules" not yet having been proven to exist before he and Mileva talked about the difference between being jostled in a crowded hallway and swirling around an uncrowded ballroom. My answer was therefore molecules, not atoms.

Anyone else have a memory of the show?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DBear wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 pm another near-Darrow here, corrected in time.
This is my brother Darrow, and my other brother Darrow.

Add me to the "thought of Clarence Darrow" first before quickly realizing the error.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 pm I'm happy that one of the contestants got Colombia correct. Similar clues have been missed before.
Given its proximity to the US and the relatively smaller number of countries / languages / geographical features than say, Europe, Asia or Africa, I'm surprised to see contestants miss any clues about South America ever.
What about Central America?
And before you answer... http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5247
AFRET CMS wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 2:24 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:54 pm
I know it was only $200, but the "Genius" clue asking about a theory that Einstein put forth was not well-constructed in calling for a response of "theory of relativity." AFAIU, there's no such thing as the "theory of relativity"; there's the theory of general relativity and the quite different theory of special relativity.
I had a different issue with one of the "Genius" clues. They showed a clip of ballroom dancers while the clue had something about a theory of matter not yet proven. It was a TS with the answer given as "atoms." My wife and I watched that episode, and we both recalled Einstein being berated about "molecules" not yet having been proven to exist before he and Mileva talked about the difference between being jostled in a crowded hallway and swirling around an uncrowded ballroom. My answer was therefore molecules, not atoms.

Anyone else have a memory of the show?
What am I, chopped liver?
Volante wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:38 pm "Einstein imagined the motion of these units of matter and gave the first experimental proof of their existence in 1905"
Base unit of matter is the atom.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Nice game for all three, overall. And IMHO that was a really nice, well-written FJ. Made you think to do the (little) math, then what did Bryan do in 1925 that had something to do with a famous teacher. Me like.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 2:31 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm
What about Central America?
And before you answer... http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5247
YASS!!! I remember it distinctly! I was appalled by those contestants, frankly, but then I drew a stunning blank on the DD. Doh!

and Alex said, "We will never have this category again!" :cry:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:32 pm On the subject of poll requests, can we poll for those who, like me, negged with Bolivar for Guevara on that one DD? I say this knowing that the poll results may make me look like an idiot. :)
Then we'll be twins, my idiot brother.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TomFromMD wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 7:31 pm How did volcano have two negs? That's one of the more obvious cognates I've ever seen.

Berg = mountain, playa = beach, and fiume = river seemed extremely obscure though. I saw no way to puzzle those out barring my own fluency in Spanish.
Playa figures into place names, most notably Playa del Carmen. The French word plage is pretty close.
Berg figures into "iceberg". It's the same in German.
Because an iceberg is a mountain, right?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:44 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 7:31 pm How did volcano have two negs? That's one of the more obvious cognates I've ever seen.

Berg = mountain, playa = beach, and fiume = river seemed extremely obscure though. I saw no way to puzzle those out barring my own fluency in Spanish.
Playa figures into place names, most notably Playa del Carmen. The French word plage is pretty close.
As a matter of fact, that is the origin of that word.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/iceberg

Scroll down and take a look at the etymology under the world map in this definition.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

Have you ever seen a picture of one? Because the fact that there was a mountain under the water was pretty much what ruined the trip for the passengers on the Titanic (I know, NHOI).

And once again, always with the hostile response before thinking about someone's response for a minute or two.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... rface.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still think that's a huge leap of logic, to think that berg = mountain just because an iceberg kinda sorta vaguely almost looks like a mountain, only made of ice.

A CD kinda sorta vaguely looks like a bagel sliced extremely thin. Does that mean that "bagel" is "CD" in some other language?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the game's apparent homage to our own Mr. Nelson. "What is Kirk?" and "What is Boeing?" in the same game? Coincidence? I think not.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 pm I'm surprised no one has mentioned the game's apparent homage to our own Mr. Nelson. "What is Kirk?" and "What is Boeing?" in the same game? Coincidence? I think not.
He's a writer for the show now, haven't you heard?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 4:39 pm I still think that's a huge leap of logic, to think that berg = mountain just because an iceberg kinda sorta vaguely almost looks like a mountain, only made of ice.

A CD kinda sorta vaguely looks like a bagel sliced extremely thin. Does that mean that "bagel" is "CD" in some other language?
If bagels were called "breadbagels," that question might have merit.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TomFromMD wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 amPlaya figures into place names, most notably Playa del Carmen.
Or, just a couple miles from Sony Pictures Studios, the Los Angeles neighborhood of Playa Vista -- which has become known as "Silicon Beach" due to a number of tech companies having offices there.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 1:32 pm On the subject of poll requests, can we poll for those who, like me, negged with Bolivar for Guevara on that one DD? I say this knowing that the poll results may make me look like an idiot. :)
I said the same thing. I realized my mistake, but not quickly enough.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 pm I'm surprised no one has mentioned the game's apparent homage to our own Mr. Nelson. "What is Kirk?" and "What is Boeing?" in the same game? Coincidence? I think not.
Ha-ha. I didn't even pick up that! :lol: