Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

A very lively, peppy pace to a game to start a fresh week after the Teachers completed their work...

Excluding the Bold & Beautiful video clue category. Ugh. I really, really hate those categories. They're really just cheeseball nonsense that makes it hard to see all of the clues. Add in a pitch from Alex for the new J! mobile game into the DJ round, and well, just Ugh.

Nonetheless, three very good players, playing very well, across the board.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE BRITISH EMPIRE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The city that some 19th century Englishmen called “Caranjee” is now the biggest in this country

Ragavan Ramsubramani: 16200-16199=1
Justin Braddock: 8800+1200=10000
Tanya Obreiter: 18600+16205=34805 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pakistan (Ragavan – India) (Tanya – India Pakistan)

Daily Doubles
Tanya: 1200+1200
Ragavan: 4000+3000
Tanya: 8600+2000

Coryats
Ragavan: 14400
Justin: 8800
Tanya: 18000

Combined: 41,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was double promotion day with the app for the Jeopardy! World Tour game and the Online Tests next week.

The Fresh Off the Boat clue had my ears perk up as Alex pronounced character Jessica’s last name Huang as sounding like the Wang in Wang Chung while on the show it’s said closer to “Wong” rhyming with Hong Kong. I would have made Alex record a do over.

Eddie Huang wrote the memoir that is the basis for the sitcom and I found several videos on YouTube where he was introduced as Alex pronounced the last name while there were just as many said the other way. The clue was only about the ABC show though, so I say faulty work by the researchers and Alex.

I think the writers want contestants to know John Quincy Adams served in the House as that was a correct DD response all the way back on May 2nd.

For the FJ! clue I exactly matched Tanya with the cross out to correct response pattern. My thinking was it looked like perhaps India and it was only when saying “Caranjee” aloud that I realized I needed to make the switch.

That was nice of Tanya to get it and bet big to ease the ouch factor of Ragavan’s incorrect response and wager. Losing $1000 for such offenses is just. $31,000 and a TOC spot lost is harsher.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

The "World Tour" didn't ring any bells, but seeing the art for each of the places talked about made me realize that it's the same art in the game. (Apparently the game is just being released in the US now, it was released internationally months ago, and I've been playing it for about that long.)

Sounding out "Caranjee" made it a pretty quick get.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What was with the $600 clue in Bold and Beautiful? It didn't fit the category at all and didn't have the actors reading the clue. I suspect it was a last-minute replacement.

====

Precalled Shiner Bock = Texas in Beers, which was also my only get in the category.

NHO "lightning rod".

Lightning bug = firefly was new to me. I thought they were two different things.

I've heard of all those films except The Hurt Locker, but the obscure names being used as TOMs didn't help me.

All but the bottom in Double Vowels.

As someone who's suffered from allergies his entire life, I can't believe I couldn't get "ragweed".

Lach Trash: Thunder Bay

I twigged instantly to it sounding like "Karachi", but was still high and dry because I have no idea where Karachi is. I love how I can figure it out but still not figure it out. Much like how I handle Idiotest puzzles.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess the third B&B clue had some sort of production error so Alex had to read the clue. I don't mind them that much, but I wouldn't object if they retired that category.

India here. Tonya seemed to be having a lot of fun. I'm glad she won.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

JLJ wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:56 pm 1) A very lively, peppy pace to a game to start a fresh week after the Teachers completed their work...

2) Excluding the Bold & Beautiful video clue category. Ugh. I really, really hate those categories. They're really just cheeseball nonsense that makes it hard to see all of the clues. Add in a pitch from Alex for the new J! mobile game into the DJ round, and well, just Ugh.
'Gree with 1); but not 2)!!; How can you possibly call clues about Helen of Troy and her abductor Paris, the Inchon landing by Doug MacArthur, and Leonidas' 300 at Thermopylae "cheeseball nonsense"?!? Your comment is non sequitur; these subjects are core world history clues fundamental to Western culture. I politely request you re-look at these very interesting and cleverly presented clues which I found both charming and interesting (and went 5/5 BTW)! Also ran "Beers by States"!! ;) 8-)

45R. Instaget FJ. LT: Thunder bay; Gravity; Florida Tosca (Puccini); Live Free, DIE HARD (Willis!).
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

goatman wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 pm
JLJ wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:56 pm 1) A very lively, peppy pace to a game to start a fresh week after the Teachers completed their work...

2) Excluding the Bold & Beautiful video clue category. Ugh. I really, really hate those categories. They're really just cheeseball nonsense that makes it hard to see all of the clues. Add in a pitch from Alex for the new J! mobile game into the DJ round, and well, just Ugh.
'Gree with 1); but not 2)!!; How can you possibly call clues about Helen of Troy and her abductor Paris, the Inchon landing by Doug MacArthur, and Leonidas' 300 at Thermopylae "cheeseball nonsense"?!? Your comment is non sequitur; these subjects are core world history clues fundamental to Western culture. I politely request you re-look at these very interesting and cleverly presented clues which I found both charming and interesting (and went 5/5 BTW)! Also ran "Beers by States"!! ;) 8-)

45R. Instaget FJ. LT: Thunder bay; Gravity; Florida Tosca (Puccini); Live Free, DIE HARD (Willis!).
Pardon my lack of clarity in my comment. The subject matter of the clues was just fine. The cheeseball aspect is the delivery via soap opera acting.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

JLJ wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 pm
goatman wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Pardon my lack of clarity in my comment. The subject matter of the clues was just fine. The cheeseball aspect is the delivery via soap opera acting.
"Okay," he replied, somewhat mollified; "Although I myself found the presentation and format quite endearing!" Different strokes... :P
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

goatman wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 pm "Okay," he replied, somewhat mollified; "Although I myself found the presentation and format quite endearing!" Different strokes... :P
Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Good on them for speeding through that last category in J so we could see all 30 clues. I thought we might not finish the DJ round anyway because of the soap opera vids but they managed to get it finished. Good job.

The overall broadcasat was ruined in the end though, with ABC cutting in as Alex started reading the FJ clue. They just couldn't refrain from the blood lust for two more minutes, even though the story broke an hour earlier.

Sub-par wagers from the men with Ragavan throwing caution to the wind when he should have bet small and Justin underbetting for a nice even 10,000.
It is evident that Tanya doesn't fully understand wagering theory either. We'll see whether that hurts her in the next game.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Film (4), Thunder (4), Books (4), Letters (4), Beers (2), The Bold & The Beautiful (3)
Russian (2), Weeds (0), Asian (2), World (2), 19th c. Congress (3), Double Vowel (2)

No Lach Trash.

The sound of the word didn't ring a bell to me. I considered and then wrote off India, but my mind blanked on Pakistan, which was dumb.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

When and where the hell did I learn the word "filigree"?!

Didn't grok Caranjee in time. I knew it had to be a pronunciation link but it just didn't process. Brain was still probably trying to figure out where I ran across 'filigree'...stupid brain.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How did I get to Karachi but not know where Karachi is?
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Went with Wales for "Cardiff" for FJ for lack of coming up with anything better.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Tanya genuinely seemed to be enjoying the process - pleasure to watch. Congrats to her.

Got to the Indian subcontinent, but not the correct response. I'm telling myself that I would convert these kind of halfgets on the actual show :|
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BEERS BY STATE went right past me. I drink plenty of beer but couldn't tell you where in the US these beers are brewed, unless we're talking Brooklyn Lager. How does anyone know this?

LT: Karen O. Love that band!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 pm BEERS BY STATE went right past me. I drink plenty of beer but couldn't tell you where in the US these beers are brewed, unless we're talking Brooklyn Lager. How does anyone know this?
I read the labels :P