Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sam Adams = Boston is something I've known from commercials, but it didn't surface in time for me. No idea how I knew Bock = Texas, although there was plenty of Bock around when I was at Texas Furry Fiesta.

No idea on the other 3.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 pm BEERS BY STATE went right past me. I drink plenty of beer but couldn't tell you where in the US these beers are brewed, unless we're talking Brooklyn Lager. How does anyone know this?
Pint Night at the pub trivia; you even get to keep the glass. Pretty sure I have the Brooklyn Lager glass somewhere.

Jai Alai was the only one I hadn't heard of out of the bunch. The rest I think are more widely distributed? Yuengling is still somewhat limited, but it's the oldest brewery in the US, so it's noteworthy in that sense.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:03 am No idea how I knew Bock = Texas, although there was plenty of Bock around when I was at Texas Furry Fiesta.
Probably that Jason Aldean song that references Shiner Bock, when the lyrics are not changed to "Rocky Tops." Shiner, TX.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 pm BEERS BY STATE went right past me. I drink plenty of beer but couldn't tell you where in the US these beers are brewed, unless we're talking Brooklyn Lager. How does anyone know this?
Sam Adams = what state/colony was he from?
Sierra Nevada = what state are the namesake mountains in?
Jai Alai = in what state is jai alai played?
Yuengling and Shiner Bock = you just have to know these, but they are both famous beers, Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the U.S.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:03 am Sam Adams = Boston is something I've known from commercials, but it didn't surface in time for me. No idea how I knew Bock = Texas, although there was plenty of Bock around when I was at Texas Furry Fiesta.
Bock is merely a type of beer, not a brand.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:03 am Sam Adams = Boston is something I've known from commercials, but it didn't surface in time for me. No idea how I knew Bock = Texas, although there was plenty of Bock around when I was at Texas Furry Fiesta.

No idea on the other 3.
What is the Texas Furry Festival? Anyway, it's nice to have the higher level of difficulty back. Ordinarily I disdain those Bold & Beautiful-style categories but those "actors" were kind of funny. I got FJ by making a guess & sticking with it. I figured it was that part of the world & I couldn't think of a city like that in India or Bangladesh. So, Pakistan.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnblue wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:52 am What is the Texas Furry Festival?
I think it's somewhat well known by now that I'm a furry and have been for some time. TFF is just one of many furry conventions.
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

Would "fugue" work instead of "psychotic"?

I wasn't looking at the screen when the FJ clue was read, and I think that helped, since I wasn't hung up on the spelling. And I knew that the largest city in India is Mumbai, so that narrowed it down.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 10:34 pm How did I get to Karachi but not know where Karachi is?
You don't play Pandemic?
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am Sierra Nevada = what state are the namesake mountains in?
Nevada?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

aeq5006 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am Sierra Nevada = what state are the namesake mountains in?
Nevada?
OK what state are they PRIMARILY in?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

aeq5006 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 am Would "fugue" work instead of "psychotic"?
The clue specified nine letters.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 pm LT: Karen O. Love that band!
Me too. I would have been very surprised (and impressed) if any of the contestants got it.

I only found one other hit for Karen O in the archive: COMPLETELY BASSLESS for $2000 in this game. The $1600 clue was also an unsurprising TS that I knew.
aeq5006 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 10:34 pm How did I get to Karachi but not know where Karachi is?
You don't play Pandemic?
Ha, that's exactly how I got it. I quickly realized it was Karachi, but then I wasn't 100% sure whether that was in Asia or Africa. I was leaning toward it being a black card, so I went with Pakistan. I realized shortly afterward that the other one I was thinking of was Kinshasa, which is the only yellow African city in the game that isn't in a former part of the British Empire, afaik. :roll:

We just played October in Pandemic Legacy on Saturday, and Karachi was one of the infection cards that came up a few times, so I really should have remembered it better.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am Jai Alai = in what state is jai alai played?
I couldn't get "Basque Country" out of my head (where the sport originates from", thankfully didn't "ring in" on that though. Other than that, Florida isn't really *famous* for its jai alai, was a bit undervalued IMHO (especially since Yungling was something I *have* heard of and knew it was Pennsylvanian, I'd at least switch those two, if not put the Jai Alai one in the bottom row.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

JLJ wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:56 pm
Excluding the Bold & Beautiful video clue category. Ugh. I really, really hate those categories. They're really just cheeseball nonsense that makes it hard to see all of the clues.
I don't care for these types of categories, either. They slow down the game and, as you say, are just cheesy.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am Jai Alai = in what state is jai alai played?
Connecticut! (I was going to say in reply to your post until I googled "Milford Jai Alai" and found out it closed in 2001. I guess that explains why I haven't seen any ads for it in a while.)

For some reason, Florida popped into my head during the show, but I had no confidence in it, having no idea why I thought of it and having never heard of the beer. I didn't think it could actually be CT, because I might have heard of it if it were.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

SBurrus wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:05 am
JLJ wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:56 pm
Excluding the Bold & Beautiful video clue category. Ugh. I really, really hate those categories. They're really just cheeseball nonsense that makes it hard to see all of the clues.
I don't care for these types of categories, either. They slow down the game and, as you say, are just cheesy.
I am in no way, shape, or form a soap opera fan, but I thought that category was a lot of fun. It was the cheeseball nature of it that made it that way. Plus I can see something like that being very popular for a lot of the viewers.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

dhkendall wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 2:36 am
Other than that, Florida isn't really *famous* for its jai alai, was a bit undervalued IMHO (especially since Yungling was something I *have* heard of and knew it was Pennsylvanian, I'd at least switch those two, if not put the Jai Alai one in the bottom row.)
I think it was bigger back in the 80s - there was a scene in the intro to Magnum PI, if I recall.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am
Sam Adams = what state/colony was he from?
Sierra Nevada = what state are the namesake mountains in?
Jai Alai = in what state is jai alai played?
Yuengling and Shiner Bock = you just have to know these, but they are both famous beers, Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the U.S.
Ahh, ok. Sam Adams was the only one I got. Never heard of Jai Alai or Shiner Bock.

Coors also stumped me (J6 clue)
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue May 23, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

TomFromMD wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:26 am
Other than that, Florida isn't really *famous* for its jai alai, was a bit undervalued IMHO (especially since Yungling was something I *have* heard of and knew it was Pennsylvanian, I'd at least switch those two, if not put the Jai Alai one in the bottom row.)
I think it was bigger back in the 80s - there was a scene in the intro to Magnum PI, if I recall.
Not sure about Magnum (which was set in Hawaii), but I know there was a jai alai scene in the Miami Vice intro.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

clt013 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am Not sure about Magnum (which was set in Hawaii), but I know there was a jai alai scene in the Miami Vice intro.
D'oh - of course; that's what I meant. My 80s brain cells must be failing...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

clt013 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am
TomFromMD wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:26 am
Not sure about Magnum (which was set in Hawaii), but I know there was a jai alai scene in the Miami Vice intro.
Methinks Jai alai is just one of those old throwback gambling excuses because when America was Great before we didn't allow sins and vices. Except we did, but we covered the hypocrisy with "pari-mutuel" gambling which sustained ridiculous activities like dog racing, sulkies, jai alai, bingo, etc.. Then we went through the phase of "riverboat" gambling - originally the boats had to be seaworthy and go on brief excursions. Gradually they just became buildings and I will be glad when all of these ridiculous vice laws are gone. Regulate the activities, fine.

I guess this isn't a social blog - anyhow, fun game, lots of bucks, way harder questions. I frittered around in FJ trying to match the city as a homonym and decided it must have been a total transmogrification (Like Peking = Beijing). I chose India over Pakistan since Paki wasn't a country until 1947 ish even though the clue didn't restrict the answer. It was easy to TOM to these two since an English speaking colony wouldn't make sense to Anglicize.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.