2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

"Untitled", a 1982 painting of a skull-shaped human head, by Jean-Michel Basquiat sold at auction for $110.5 million. This is the highest price ever paid at auction for a work by an American artist and for a work by a black artist. Only 10 other paintings have ever gone for $100 million or more. This is the 6th highest price ever paid.

Jeopardy's "Pavlovs" for Basquiat include "Haitian-American", "associate of Warhol", and "graffiti artist".
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

Anthony Weiner just pled guilty to sexting a 15 year old girl. Agrees not to appeal any sentence between 21 and 27 months.

Will he appeal an 18 month sentence claiming it's too short? And what kind of idiot trusts a 15 year old girl not to tell about something like that, especially if you are somewhat famous?

Edit: He also has to register as a sex offender.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Japan is considering an amendment to the Imperial Household Law that would include women in the line of succession to the Chrysanthemum Throne*, as the royal family is running low on male heirs.

The male-only rule of succession was introduced in 1947, when the postwar Japanese constitution downgraded the Emperor from a god to a symbol of national unity.

* Yes, this has come up.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 6:45 pm The male-only rule of succession was introduced in 1947, when the postwar Japanese constitution downgraded the Emperor from a god to a symbol of national unity.
Man, that's a hell of a demotion! I won't complain about a pay cut any more!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 pm Renewed for next season:

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
Did I miss something? Wasn't Law & Order canceled back in 2010?
I would prefer not to.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bartleby wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:09 am

Law & Order. Next season will be its 21st, surpassing Gunsmoke as the second longest-running scripted prime-time show (The Simpsons ranks first).
you missed the part that this is SVU
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Philippa Charlotte "Pippa" Middleton wed millionaire financier James Matthews. Her dress was by British designer Giles Deacon. The service was in St.Mark's Church, Englefield. Her title (as far as I can tell it's after her father-in-dies) will be Lady Glen Affric or Lady Glenaffric. I get bored and confused by figuring out royalty stuff.

Prince Harry is dating Meghan Markle an American actress on the show Suits.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert De Niro is playing fraudster Bernie Madoff in a HBO movie, The Wizard of Lies. Earlier this year in a TV miniseries Richard Dreyfuss played Bernie Madoff. Both actors have also won Oscars for Best Actor.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 am

SVU is only up to season 19. This post is inaccurate.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:31 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 am

SVU is only up to season 19. This post is inaccurate.
He may be taking the entire SVU set of series together. In which case it's only misleading.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Law & Order: SVU. Next season will be its 19th.
This is the original post from Blue Lion. The number is correct for SVU, leaving it one season behind Gunsmoke and original Law and Order. The only other Law and Order on next season's schedule is called "Law and Order True Crime: the Menendez Murders". I don't think this is considered a continuation of the original series, but perhaps it's where the confusion came from.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:25 pm

This is the original post from Blue Lion. The number is correct for SVU, leaving it one season behind Gunsmoke and original Law and Order. The only other Law and Order on next season's schedule is called "Law and Order True Crime: the Menendez Murders". I don't think this is considered a continuation of the original series, but perhaps it's where the confusion came from.
Law and Order's 21st season was in 2010. In this thread bringing up that fact is misleading.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pmLaw and Order's 21st season was in 2010. In this thread bringing up that fact is misleading.
My apologies. I've fixed the post upthread to remove the error.

According to Wikipedia, as of the end of the current season, the five longest-running scripted prime-time shows (by number of seasons, not number of episodes), are:
1. The Simpsons.
t2. Gunsmoke (#1 by number of episodes).
t2. Law & Order.
4. Law & Order: SVU.
5. Lassie.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:51 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pmLaw and Order's 21st season was in 2010. In this thread bringing up that fact is misleading.
My apologies. I've fixed the post upthread to remove the error.

According to Wikipedia, as of the end of the current season, the five longest-running scripted prime-time shows (by number of seasons, not number of episodes), are:
1. The Simpsons.
t2. Gunsmoke (#1 by number of episodes).
t2. Law & Order.
4. Law & Order: SVU.
5. Lassie.
Just as a point of completeness, The Wonderful World of Disney ran more seasons and was also scripted. I personally wouldn't want to count it in the same list, but it is a technicality.

I didn't go looking, but if The Simpsons didn't already pass Gunsmoke for episodes, it's getting extremely close and will definitely do it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Law and Order's 21st season was in 2010. In this thread bringing up that fact is misleading.
When making a correction of a correction, seems like you should double check to make sure your information is accurate, no?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm

When making a correction of a correction, seems like you should double check to make sure your information is accurate, no?
Touche.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 7:36 pmI didn't go looking, but if The Simpsons didn't already pass Gunsmoke for episodes, it's getting extremely close and will definitely do it.
You're right. Gunsmoke 635 episodes, The Simpsons 618.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SNL on the season finale had a parody ad for a fidget spinner. It's one of those toy craze things having its moment in the sun and banned by many schools. S34 should have Alex do another in studio prop clue and the Teen Tournament would be the perfect time.

Yeah, I hear you. A what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNlmm_rR7mc
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Newly published book: Dragon Teeth, about fossil hunters in the 1870s, by Michael Crichton. It's his third posthumously-published book.

(Also, I didn't realize Crichton also wrote and directed the original Westworld movie, so there you go.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Sir Roger "Not Sean Connery" Moore has died at 89
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40018422
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)