Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Sigh....

People play perfect defense against me only when it matters.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, I'm taking out my shame at being demoted to D League by winning four of my first five games. It is probably not a coincidence that some of the other demotees I remember are doing similarly well. Currently, I'm fourth, leaving me one position behind a reinstatement if I could keep it there. Comic book legend (and husband of Jeopardy champion Christine Valada) Len Wein is back from his illness. My match against him is scheduled for June 8. If it were a week later I could do my match right before going to the AwesomeCon convention in D.C.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

boson wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 amMy wife beats me.
Let's hope this isn't a cry for help.
Woof wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:03 pm
Troydozzy wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:01 pmI am still surprised by how many people got New Orleans right. Maybe it's because I'm a Midwesterner who's lived out of the US too long, but that didn't even cross my mind.
I considered it, but went with Richmond because it was the capital of the Confederacy and I knew it was historically one of the largest cities in the early USA.
Wish I'd considered New Orleans, which I'd guess was so large in part because (I think) it was a hub for the slave trade. But like a couple others, I got stuck on Richmond as the capital.

Never thought of wood for alcohol and thought grain was it for sure.
In and out of the pool four times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 3:31 pm Never thought of wood for alcohol and thought grain was it for sure.
I had always thought it was called "wood grain alcohol", which didn't make much sense to me, but at least it kept "wood" ahead of "grain", so that's what I went with. :)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

reddpen wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 3:31 pm
Just a plea to the trivia gods to send some luck my way. In hindsight, perhaps in poor taste. My apologies to all.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Never thought of wood for alcohol and thought grain was it for sure.
That's because your mother never sang you this ditty:
We never stagger
We never fall
We sober up on wood alcohol
While our loyal friends go marching
Back to the bars for more
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Math is still my worst subject (and obviously spelling is not great either), but I added my 4th notch to the hit column thanks to this spelling being accepting: intergal

Too bad it was not enough to overcome a 7(5)-6(4) defeat.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Two straight days of 9(6)-9(6) ties for me, the latest with my nemesis bomtr. #ARundleLife
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

boson wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 6:22 pm
Just a plea to the trivia gods to send some luck my way. In hindsight, perhaps in poor taste. My apologies to all.
I have not abused my husband, except by defeating him on the plains of trivia battle. Apparently I am his second biggest opponent in LL, after ButschekAHeyHey.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:04 am Math is still my worst subject (and obviously spelling is not great either), but I added my 4th notch to the hit column thanks to this spelling being accepting: intergal
I always got a kick out of this math guy driving an Acura Integra LS. Must be part of the reason that I kept it for 26 years.

(Still waiting for an auto manufacturer to come out with the Differentia hatchback.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yesterday was my day to overthink the questions. I thought the Spanish one was asking for the number of U.S. states so I answered "cinquante." For the ancient general I put Scipio Africanus. Lost 7(4)-6(4).
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 am Yesterday was my day to overthink the questions. I thought the Spanish one was asking for the number of U.S. states so I answered "cinquante." For the ancient general I put Scipio Africanus. Lost 7(4)-6(4).
I knew 'pais' was country, but I thought 'nombre' was number. Stupid french.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

mennoknight wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:34 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 am Yesterday was my day to overthink the questions. I thought the Spanish one was asking for the number of U.S. states so I answered "cinquante." For the ancient general I put Scipio Africanus. Lost 7(4)-6(4).
Yeah, stupid French. But I should have known better, living in SoCal. I answered "uno", which was the MCWA, based on thinking number of countries bordering. :oops:
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 am For the ancient general I put Scipio Africanus. Lost 7(4)-6(4).
Exceedingly timely podcast listening made that one particularly easy for me, as I had listened to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History show "Punic Nightmares" on a road work trip on Thursday before the Friday question came out.

It's hard to tell the Scipios apart sometimes (well, most of the time), because there are so many of them. I fancifully imagine a barker calling out "Programs! Get yer programs here! You can't tell one Scipio on the battlefield from another without a program! Programs!"
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

georgespelvin wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:10 pm Well, I'm taking out my shame at being demoted to D League by winning four of my first five games. It is probably not a coincidence that some of the other demotees I remember are doing similarly well. Currently, I'm fourth, leaving me one position behind a reinstatement if I could keep it there. Comic book legend (and husband of Jeopardy champion Christine Valada) Len Wein is back from his illness. My match against him is scheduled for June 8. If it were a week later I could do my match right before going to the AwesomeCon convention in D.C.
Dropping down a level does wonders for your record. I fell to E for this season and am 4-1-1 so far. High school Latin got me Hannibal and I correctly guessed he wanted the country just north of Mexico to get me a 3(3)-1(2) win.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I guessed cinco cinco (semi nod to Chad Johnson) (no clue for 55) as I translated what was wanted was a number in the country north of Mexico and did speed limit. If I would have known to do nombre = name and woke up that I knew number is número then I would have known how to translate the U.S. into Spanish.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

In the first six match days, my TCAs have been 3, 2, 1, 0, 5, and 4. Consistently inconsistent! I am at 2-2-2, smack in the middle of the leaderboard.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Yeah I toyed with Pyrrhus (word origin: Pyrric victory!), then wondered whether that was too esoteric even for LL, then wondered if it wasn't about 100 years earlier BCE, which it was. so Hannibal at Cannae went into the box.

Afterwards I got to read all about it at the above link and get really smart on something I kind of knew, such fun!
BTW when u l@@k @this, one realizingly; "WOW! What an epic journey! And to think he could've LANDED AT CANNAE FIRST and skipped the Alps!

The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

goatman wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 pm Afterwards I got to read all about it at the above link and get really smart on something I kind of knew, such fun!
BTW when u l@@k @this, one realizingly; "WOW! What an epic journey! And to think he could've LANDED AT CANNAE FIRST and skipped the Alps!
This is cool stuff. I need to read up on it more. Amazing to think all this was happening more than 2,000 years ago.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mennoknight wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:34 pm
Yep, that'd be me, too.