Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hannibal has an appearance in Ken Jennings's Tuesday Trivia this week:

1. Hannibal fought for what ancient city-state located on the Lake of Tunis?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:09 pm
alietr wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:05 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 am Yesterday was my day to overthink the questions. I thought the Spanish one was asking for the number of U.S. states so I answered "cinquante."
You had company on that one. It probably would have helped to know Spanish better.
As someone else pointed out to me "cinquante" is French for 50, not Spanish, so I was doubly wrong. :)
I think I came up with a reasonably accurate 50 in Spanish. Not that it mattered, of course.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

mennoknight wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:45 pmThere has never been an easier LL question for me. I could sort those goons by PIMs acquired. McSorley is human garbage. Tiger Williams used to be our small town's floor hockey league sponsor, and he'd come up to Haida Gwaii once a year to play a game with us when he was still active with the Vancouver Canucks alumni. He'd set us each up for a tap in goal and then do his stick riding thing (pretending it was a horse and riding it to centre 'ice') before he left. One thing that consistently amazes me about borderline NHLers (Tiger wouldn't sniff the NHL today) is how much better they are than the average person at hockey. It's incredible.
Love your story.

Being from "Hockeytown" aka Detroit, that question was a gimme. Probert, who played for the Red Wings (and later, the Chicago Blackhawks), died in 2010. Last month, before the final game played at Joe Louis Arena, Bob Probert's family spread his ashes in the Red Wings' penalty box.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Thu May 25, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:07 am No clue on Clarissa. Said Becky (for Becky Thatcher from Vanity Fair) but it turns out that novel is from the 1840s, not 1740s (and probably wasn't epistolary nor overly long, but I had nothin).

Today I face my nemesis: 5 losses and 1 win against... Plus he has a silly addendum to his LLama name. I beat him last time with a 6-pack, let's see if that can continue.

It turns out almost everyone in our rundle faces Me then PrussC in sequence. This is the second season this has happened. I almost feel like we should be inviting them over to stay in the guest bedroom at our house.
Wow, I just had a look at A Mag. You have even more boardies and J! champs than my Rundle (A Cont) does.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't know much about hockey, but obviously they didn't hold a record for scoring since Wayne Gretzky wasn't on the top five list.

So that leaves defense. I had vaguely heard of a couple of them, but I as pretty sure they weren't goalies. (I did a quick check of the list of the top goalies for saves and wins, and I do recognize some of them).

The only other stat that came to mind was penalty minutes. It seems a number of people said fights, but I don't think that is an official NHL statistic.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:41 am
jfrumkin wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 am I've never read a letter of Woolf, but since I knew Mrs. Dalloway's first name, I figured it must be relatively common knowledge.
The other part of that question actually threw me off a little. I'd never heard of another novel called Clarissa, but I was sure enough that Mrs. Dalloway's first name was Clarissa that I stuck with it.
I've never read any Woolf either, nor have I heard of a long epistolary novel named Clarissa, but... I did remember hearing in college about a long (and potentially epistolary) 18th-century novel called Pamela (or, Virtue Rewarded), by Samuel Richardson, so overwrought that it inspired Henry Fielding to write a parody called Shamela, so I hoped maybe Pamela was Mrs. Dalloway's first name. Turns out both Pamela and Clarissa are epistolary and by Richardson, but Pamela was 1740.
In and out of the pool four times
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:46 pm
mennoknight wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:45 pmThere has never been an easier LL question for me. I could sort those goons by PIMs acquired. McSorley is human garbage. Tiger Williams used to be our small town's floor hockey league sponsor, and he'd come up to Haida Gwaii once a year to play a game with us when he was still active with the Vancouver Canucks alumni. He'd set us each up for a tap in goal and then do his stick riding thing (pretending it was a horse and riding it to centre 'ice') before he left. One thing that consistently amazes me about borderline NHLers (Tiger wouldn't sniff the NHL today) is how much better they are than the average person at hockey. It's incredible.
Love your story.

Being from "Hockeytown" aka Detroit, that question was a gimme. Probert, who played for the Red Wings (and later, the Chicago Blackhawks), died in 2010. Last month, before the final game played at Joe Louis Arena, Bob Probert's family spread his ashes in the Red wings' penalty box.
When I was in college I watched hockey and played NHL '94 with my roommates, and then occasionally went to class when hockey wasn't on or two of the other roommates already had a game going. I will never forget the EPIC fight between Probert and McSorley. It went on FOR-EV-ER. And then, to top it off, when they were both completely exhausted and the refs finally broke it up, they tapped their heads together as if to say, "Nice fight, eh."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbyb4mI1bYo
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

clprez wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:15 pm I learned french in high school, but have picked up a bit of spanish along the way. Initially, I thought nombre was spanish for number, but then I remembered that last week I called a company for technical support, and the recording said "prima numero dos,"
It was probably "oprima," unless it was asking for your #2 female cousin for some reason.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I know nothing about hockey but actually considered the correct answer only because of Happy Gilmore (still one of my top 3-5ish comedies of all time). But then I dismissed it for some reason and guessed "blocked goals."

I hate, hate, HATE this season so far.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 pm I know nothing about hockey but actually considered the correct answer only because of Happy Gilmore (still one of my top 3-5ish comedies of all time). But then I dismissed it for some reason and guessed "blocked goals."
If you're thinking of blocked goals by a goaltender those are called saves.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Mount Everest is the highest mountain above sea level on Earth. What is the highest mountain in the world outside Asia?
So, my brain whispered Aconcagua at me when I first saw this Q, but I didn't know why I thought that was right, so I changed it to Kilimanjaro. Turns out, this has been a FJ a number of times, most recently in 2013. Rats. Turned a 9(6) tie into a loss.

Also, that's some weird question phrasing.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Speaking of phrasing, I could have used one additional word in the nato clue, maybe entity or something like it. I somehow got it in my head we were looking for a piece of equipment--a plane, I assumed--and never entertained anything else. One step beyond and the answer was obvious.

I am second in my rundle in TCA, one behind the leader, and I am -4 in MPD. I'm doing very well in CAA.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got only my second win of the season yesterday, but it took some luck in how my opponent played defense. I'm kicking myself for going with McKinley over Aconcagua (I also considered Kilimanjaro), but I stuck with McKinley since it was my first instinct.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:59 am
Mount Everest is the highest mountain above sea level on Earth. What is the highest mountain in the world outside Asia?
So, my brain whispered Aconcagua at me when I first saw this Q, but I didn't know why I thought that was right, so I changed it to Kilimanjaro. Turns out, this has been a FJ a number of times, most recently in 2013. Rats. Turned a 9(6) tie into a loss.

Same here but my second choice was Vinson Massif and I lost on a (literal) coin toss. Won the stamen / pistil flip though- I was driving myself crazy tying to remember which was which. Was over the moon to see a theatre question I actually knew. I should be scoring a lot higher there but it's only my second season and theatre doesn't come up too often. 4 right was good enough for a tie 8(4)-8(5)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Somehow I got credit for Arms and a Man, giving me a 9(5)-1(1) victory! "Arms and a Man" is a cromulent translation of "arma virumque," but "a" is different from "the" in the title, so it would not be accepted under Jeopardy rules.
Chris Berman, if you're reading this, feel free to use "Robinson 'Arma Virumque' Cano" during your Home Run Derby introductions. :lol:
Hoping for a third lap
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:59 am

I think the reason he phrased it like this was to avoid Mauna Kea as an answer.

My defense has been terrible this season. I assigned this one zero thinking it was a total gimme (my opponent got it wrong).
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Nice match yesterday Blue Lion. But why couldn't you have just gotten NATO correct and not screwed up my DE even more than it is? :D
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:46 pm
Being from "Hockeytown" aka Detroit, that question was a gimme. Probert, who played for the Red Wings (and later, the Chicago Blackhawks), died in 2010. Last month, before the final game played at Joe Louis Arena, Bob Probert's family spread his ashes in the Red wings' penalty box.
Now that seems to be a good way to curtail fighting in the NHL. Did any Red Wings dare to incur a penalty in that game?
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

Got hit with my first RTFQ of the season after answering Seattle instead of the horse's name - only hurt my pride and my opponent's defense since it was assigned zero, but still a stupid mistake to make. So far my daily correct answers have been yo-yoing like mad but hoping to settle down and find a groove soon.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

quarterrican wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:31 am Got hit with my first RTFQ of the season after answering Seattle instead of the horse's name - only hurt my pride and my opponent's defense since it was assigned zero, but still a stupid mistake to make. So far my daily correct answers have been yo-yoing like mad but hoping to settle down and find a groove soon.
I was surprised Seattle was the MCWA. As for your hope, good luck with that one!