Thursday, May 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART & POP CULTURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Brooklyn mural seen here is an homage to this fictional group whose first appearance came in 1984

Mackenzie Vogt: 11200+11200=22400
Melanie Tannenbaum Hepler: 1800-1800=0
Jon Groubert: 13400+9001=22401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Melanie – Power Rangers Teen [possibly Mut?])

Daily Doubles
Jon: 1200+1200
Mackenzie: 5000-2000
Mackenzie: 4200+3000

Coryats
Mackenzie: 11800
Melanie: 1800
Jon: 12800

Combined: 26,400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex was not familiar with gimlet?
Spoiler
#5927, aired 2010-05-25 DRINK VARIATIONS $1000: If you change the olive to a cocktail onion in the original martini, you've made this drink variation
#5139, aired 2007-01-04 NAME THAT TOOL $2000: A sharp tool used for boring holes, or a vodka & lime drink that will dull your senses
#4663, aired 2004-12-08 WHOSE LIME IS IT ANYWAY? $600: To make this drink supposedly named for a British naval surgeon, all you need is gin & sweetened lime juice
#3972, aired 2001-12-04 GIN $1000: Tool name for the cocktail of gin & lime juice shaken in ice & served with a lime garnish
#3739, aired 2000-11-30 CHEERS $300: It's what a martini is called when the olive is replaced by a pearl onion
#1193, aired 1989-11-08 POTENT POTABLES $400: Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide says don't use bottled lime juice unless you're making this drink
#1162, aired 1989-09-26 BOTTOMS UP $400: All you need to make this simple cocktail is gin & sweetened lime juice
Mackenzie was at first ruled correct for his “medical examiner” $200 response and the when the DJ! round began just $200 was taken away, so it seems like the clue was tossed instead of Mackenzie losing an additional $200 for an incorrect response.

For the FJ! clue I had a good enough look at the photo to have no doubt what was wanted. In the comfort of home I took the shortcut of writing just four letters although in the studio I would have written it out like the guys did today.

Mackenzie may have to watch out for a gift of philodendron from teasing family/friends on his next gift receiving occasion?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It really only matters for the FJ! round as input in the Archive, but what do you see for Melanie's FJ! response after the strike out? Plus this is a good reason to post the photo with the fun facial expression.
Spoiler
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Looks like she got as far as "teen mute" when the electronic pen ran out of ink.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
mhepbaum
Contributor

Post by mhepbaum »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 5:54 pm It really only matters for the FJ! round as input in the Archive, but what do you see for Melanie's FJ! response after the strike out? Plus this is a good reason to post the photo with the fun facial expression.
Spoiler
Can confirm, it was "teen mut." I don't know. My husband after was like YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST WRITTEN TMNT.

But, I mean...I knew it didn't actually matter what I got down because I had no shot of winning. At that point I was scribbling it down entirely to prove for the record that I actually did know what it was, just for the purpose of lessening my inevitable every-family-Thanksgiving-for-the-rest-of-my-life-with-my-in-laws-who-just-like-my-husband-himself-are-OBSESSED-with-TMNT annual humiliation. And "teen mut" accomplishes that goal just as much as "TMNT," so. Shrug.

Of course, that was the craziness of the situation impacting my rational thought process anyway.

I should've known nothing I could get down would save me from the "not having put it down immediately first" humiliation 😂
Last edited by mhepbaum on Thu May 25, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mhepbaum
Contributor

Post by mhepbaum »

Oh, and. I can explain.

I had trouble seeing the faces from a distance. All I saw were 3 dudes and one person with hair long enough that from a distance I thought it was a woman. I couldn't tell who the people were. For some reason in my head I thought they were depictions of either politicians or prominent people from that neighborhood who the artist had decorated to look like the famous characters. So my head goes -- ok, the artist picked several dudes and 1 woman to look like characters from the 80s/90s where each one is assigned a different color. What fictional group from 80s/90s has a different color each and 1 woman and several men? Power Rangers...ooh and they have a new movie coming out soon too...I bet it's power rangers!

At the last minute I recognized the iconic masks. Only after did I realize who the people were.

SEE. NOT AS BAD AS IT LOOKS. RIGHT?
Last edited by mhepbaum on Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Would TMNT have been accepted? I came up with it but probably too late to write the whole thing down.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

With the category, I felt like Warhol was the obvious precall. I saw pictures on social media of this mural/graffiti when it came out so it was instaget, but there was no way I could have missed this anyhow - I was obsessed with those 4 as a kid. Never having been under the bright lights, I won't judge anyone though.

I said "Jolly Roger" for skull and cross bones and "Rapture" for "Final Judgement." I feel pretty good about Jolly Roger but Rapture is probably completely wrong?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

As a child of the '80s, this was instaget from the masks alone, and then it clicked who the faces were. I like that mural.

That was a weird reversal. What were they going for?
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 pm Mackenzie was at first ruled correct for his “medical examiner” $200 response and the when the DJ! round began just $200 was taken away, so it seems like the clue was tossed instead of Mackenzie losing an additional $200 for an incorrect response.
But if he was flat-out wrong, then why not take more money away, and if some places do call their elected officials 'medical examiner', why reverse it in the first place? I wonder what the problem was.

Also, I got it from the 'blacksmith's tools' bit, but WTF was that hammer and tongs clue talking about?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu May 25, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zakharov wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:28 pm Would TMNT have been accepted? I came up with it but probably too late to write the whole thing down.
I would bet my life it would be accepted.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OSXpert wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm I said "Jolly Roger" for skull and cross bones and "Rapture" for "Final Judgement." I feel pretty good about Jolly Roger but Rapture is probably completely wrong?
Jolly Roger, I suspect is one of those that's technically wrong, but may have been ruled acceptable under J! increasingly lame acceptability standards. The Jolly Roger is the actual flag. While most did have the skull-and-crossbones on it, not all did (some were just plain black flags, for example).
ACW

Post by ACW »

Coroner and medical examiner are close enough to equal IMO.

Who are these judges anyway?
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

OSXpert wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm
I said "Jolly Roger" for skull and cross bones and "Rapture" for "Final Judgement." I feel pretty good about Jolly Roger but Rapture is probably completely wrong?
Re Rapture: Here is the artwork referenced in the clue. I'd say no, given the name of the art, and the concept of the Rapture not being prevalent at the time this would have been painted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_ ... _(Memling)

Wording of clue:

"This ultimate accounting of souls is a common subject in European art. Here's Hans Memling's take"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought I'd hold my own in Sci Fi Movies, but those were some really obscure choices. Waterworld was the only one of those five that I've heard of.

So that's what a coroner is.

More fancy-schmancy food in Main Vegetable.

"Barrier reef" didn't come to me because "reef" was in the clue. That was tricky.

The masks made it an extremely insta-get.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

mhepbaum wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:10 pm Oh, and. I can explain.

I had trouble seeing the faces from a distance. All I saw were 3 dudes and one person with hair long enough that from a distance I thought it was a woman. I couldn't tell who the people were. For some reason in my head I thought they were depictions of either politicians or prominent people from that neighborhood who the artist had decorated to look like the famous characters. So my head goes -- ok, the artist picked several dudes and 1 woman to look like characters from the 80s/90s where each one is assigned a different color. What fictional group from 80s/90s has a different color each and 1 woman and several men? Power Rangers...ooh and they have a new movie coming out soon too...I bet it's power rangers!

At the last minute I recognized the iconic masks. Only after did I realize who the people were.

SEE. NOT AS BAD AS IT LOOKS. RIGHT?
I hear ya, can attest that the screen can be hard to see from a distance.

Congrats on making it to Jeopardy! Tough matchup with Makenzie and Jon both being hot on the buzzer. Your contestant story was also enjoyable.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wouldn't think they'd take TMNT. Would they take GWTW?

I got it right, despite having seen exactly zero seconds of their show in my life. I couldn't really tell who those people were supposed to be but given their appearance, I assumed they were the turtles' namesakes. Like, Melanie, I also thought the clean shaven person was a female at first.

Congratulations on making the show, sorry it didn't turn out like you hoped. At least the issues you had with the video didn't cost you anything.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 8:17 pm I wouldn't think they'd take TMNT. Would they take GWTW?
One of the films was called "TMNT". They'd have to take it.