Thursday, May 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Thursday, May 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

zakharov wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:28 pm Would TMNT have been accepted? I came up with it but probably too late to write the whole thing down.
Nah, could be the Turkmenistan Men's National Team. :)

(Seriously, whenever I read USMNT I read it as US Mutant Ninja Turtles. To the tune of the theme song.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OSXpert wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pmI said "Jolly Roger" for skull and cross bones and "Rapture" for "Final Judgement." I feel pretty good about Jolly Roger but Rapture is probably completely wrong?
Maybe not completely wrong, but probably wrong enough. I said "Judgment Day" instead of "Last Judgment." That's an acceptable synonym, but I think they were looking for the actual title of the painting. "Final Judgment" is probably close enough since the title was probably in Forn and could be translated in different ways.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Aw, Melanie. I was rootin' for ya. Oh well. You look like you had a pretty good time anyway. I assume there was a consolation prize involving donuts and/or ice cream afterwards. Congrats on making it to the big show.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

badgerfellow wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 pm
mhepbaum wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:10 pm Oh, and. I can explain.

I had trouble seeing the faces from a distance. All I saw were 3 dudes and one person with hair long enough that from a distance I thought it was a woman. I couldn't tell who the people were. For some reason in my head I thought they were depictions of either politicians or prominent people from that neighborhood who the artist had decorated to look like the famous characters. So my head goes -- ok, the artist picked several dudes and 1 woman to look like characters from the 80s/90s where each one is assigned a different color. What fictional group from 80s/90s has a different color each and 1 woman and several men? Power Rangers...ooh and they have a new movie coming out soon too...I bet it's power rangers!

At the last minute I recognized the iconic masks. Only after did I realize who the people were.

SEE. NOT AS BAD AS IT LOOKS. RIGHT?
I hear ya, can attest that the screen can be hard to see from a distance.

Congrats on making it to Jeopardy! Tough matchup with Makenzie and Jon both being hot on the buzzer. Your contestant story was also enjoyable.
I had trouble seeing the pictures in my game, too. And I wear glasses! :geek:

Congrats, Melanie, on getting to be a Jeopardy! contestant. I was cheering for you :)
mhepbaum
Contributor

Post by mhepbaum »

I had an AMAZING time. Seriously a thrill. Having to deal with internet turds is such a small price to pay for having had the chance to have such a great experience. I haven't had a chance to watch yet because I'm in CA, but everyone keeps saying I look so excited every time Alex "calls" on me as if it must be some fake affect I'm putting on. It is not. It was just the best most fun surreal time. It's a GAME. And I had the biggest blast!

And yes -- dinner tonight is donuts! With some pizza as an appetizer.
mhepbaum
Contributor

Post by mhepbaum »

My only regret is that I didn't get to write "hashtag blessed" as a Final Jeopardy answer as I'd promised my brother-in-law I would do if I had no chance of winning. I knew I had no chance of winning, I just...I don't know! Heat of the moment 😂
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

I know nobody will agree, but they should not have accepted "Carol Moseley Brown." It's "Braun," not "Brown."
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

OSXpert wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm I said "Jolly Roger" for skull and cross bones and "Rapture" for "Final Judgement." I feel pretty good about Jolly Roger but Rapture is probably completely wrong?
The Rapture is not a medieval concept, and among the subset of modern Christians who do believe in it, it is a distinct event from the Last Judgment and occurs well before it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woppy T wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 pm I know nobody will agree, but they should not have accepted "Carol Moseley Brown." It's "Braun," not "Brown."
I heard that as well and was waiting for a reversal.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woppy T wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 pm I know nobody will agree, but they should not have accepted "Carol Moseley Brown." It's "Braun," not "Brown."
It's not about how she pronounces it, it's how it could be pronounced. The company Braun is pronounced "brown", for example. There was zero chance of reversal.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Aargh! We had two categories on millennial pop culture then a FJ on a cartoon that only millennials would recognize. Must the writers torment we Baby Boomers who know nothing about Beyoncé or Bruno Mars or the Teenage Nugent Minja Turtles?

Made the fatal, but understandable, mistake of responding "Rise and Fall" for Gibbon's work.
Last edited by Kenny on Thu May 25, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

mhepbaum wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:17 pm I had an AMAZING time. Seriously a thrill. Having to deal with internet turds is such a small price to pay for having had the chance to have such a great experience. I haven't had a chance to watch yet because I'm in CA, but everyone keeps saying I look so excited every time Alex "calls" on me as if it must be some fake affect I'm putting on. It is not. It was just the best most fun surreal time. It's a GAME. And I had the biggest blast!

And yes -- dinner tonight is donuts! With some pizza as an appetizer.
Melanie, you started off so hot, I thought you were the new champ. Nevertheless, you are awesome, and congrats on making it on the show.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Didn't the new champ get it? He looks like a boomer. Easy FJ for me, tail end of the boom. The returning champ hit the buzzer hard enough a couple of times that I hope it works tomorrow!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

The terrible week of FJs continues for me :( Overall, not a very good game for me either.

The Streisand songs paid for the champ. The 'phil' DD was strange as so many letters were already given. I doubt even Cheesyguy will be able to look up the archive for DDs with more letters given.

How common knowledge is knowing senators DD? I have seen the ads during their election...if I didn't, no way I am getting that DD.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had Judgment Day, think that would have been accepted?

Oh, and Melanie, I simply thought you were enjoying yourself and didn't think you were trying to put on airs or anything when you were called on. I was rooting for you. :)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was a terrible call on medical examiner/coroner. Those terms are interchangeable. Also, it is a local office so the term that appears on the ballot varies from place to place.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 pm Alex was not familiar with gimlet?
Spoiler
#5927, aired 2010-05-25 DRINK VARIATIONS $1000: If you change the olive to a cocktail onion in the original martini, you've made this drink variation
#5139, aired 2007-01-04 NAME THAT TOOL $2000: A sharp tool used for boring holes, or a vodka & lime drink that will dull your senses
#4663, aired 2004-12-08 WHOSE LIME IS IT ANYWAY? $600: To make this drink supposedly named for a British naval surgeon, all you need is gin & sweetened lime juice
#3972, aired 2001-12-04 GIN $1000: Tool name for the cocktail of gin & lime juice shaken in ice & served with a lime garnish
#3739, aired 2000-11-30 CHEERS $300: It's what a martini is called when the olive is replaced by a pearl onion
#1193, aired 1989-11-08 POTENT POTABLES $400: Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide says don't use bottled lime juice unless you're making this drink
#1162, aired 1989-09-26 BOTTOMS UP $400: All you need to make this simple cocktail is gin & sweetened lime juice
Only one of those helps with today's clue...and is contradicted with another clue
He was probably referring to gimlet as a boring tool which, with -one- recorded use over 33 seasons, yeah, I'll give him a pass on not remembering that. Usually takes me 3 or 4 strictly from gameplay.

The Soylent Green clue was wrong. The title substance in the -movie- comes from* plankton and is made by the Soylent Corporation. (*allegedly)
According to Wiki, the book the movie is (loosely) based on instead has soylent* steaks (*soy and lentil)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:34 pm That was a terrible call on medical examiner/coroner. Those terms are interchangeable. Also, it is a local office so the term that appears on the ballot varies from place to place.
They're not interchangeable as jurisdictions can define them differently, but there are elected medical examiners
https://www.cdc.gov/phlp/publications/c ... legal.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 pm The 'phil' DD was strange as so many letters were already given. I doubt even Cheesyguy will be able to look up the archive for DDs with more letters given.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3639
ALL "AMERICAN"
DD: $500
In 2009 the U.S. Mint issued a quarter for this territory featuring an ava bowl, a whisk & a coconut tree
Spoiler
What is American Samoa?
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 pm The 'phil' DD was strange as so many letters were already given. I doubt even Cheesyguy will be able to look up the archive for DDs with more letters given.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3639
ALL "AMERICAN"
DD: $500
In 2009 the U.S. Mint issued a quarter for this territory featuring an ava bowl, a whisk & a coconut tree
Spoiler
What is American Samoa?
:o Excellent Monsieur :!: I stand corrected.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!