Thursday, May 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Thursday, May 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 pmThe company Braun is pronounced "brown", for example.
Wow, someone should really tell the Braun YouTube account.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 pm
OSXpert wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm I said "Jolly Roger" for skull and cross bones and "Rapture" for "Final Judgement." I feel pretty good about Jolly Roger but Rapture is probably completely wrong?
The Rapture is not a medieval concept, and among the subset of modern Christians who do believe in it, it is a distinct event from the Last Judgment and occurs well before it.
"The Rapture" as currently used describes a distinct event well prior to the Last Judgment. As such it is not a medieval concept. But I think medieval theologians would have used the term or its Latin equivalent. They just would have been referring to an event that was part of Judgment Day and immediately prior to the judgment proper. Once the term was co-opted by a certain brand of theology, it became less popular for those who didn't subscribe to that theology to use "rapture" in the ancient sense.
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

Lach trash: Hammer and Tong. I knew this one from an obscure robot from "Robot Wars" by that name.

Knew the New Hampshire senators because in MA, we get election ads from New Hampshire as well. Heck, if it was still campaign season, I probably would have seen one during the break.

Ran Nonprofits

Got FJ instantly, but I actually felt peeved about the easiness more than excited - artists plus the masks was too helpful.

I was cheering for Melanie to win.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 pm
Woppy T wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 pm I know nobody will agree, but they should not have accepted "Carol Moseley Brown." It's "Braun," not "Brown."
It's not about how she pronounces it, it's how it could be pronounced. The company Braun is pronounced "brown", for example. There was zero chance of reversal.
Strange, in all the ads I've seen it sounds like a homophone of "brawn".

(I do have a relative named Braun who pronounces it Brown though (and coincidentally my wife's maiden name is Brown!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

Kenny wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 pm Aargh! We had two categories on millennial pop culture then a FJ on a cartoon that only millennials would recognize.
Ahem — considering the Turtles were first created in the comics in, as the clue said, 1984, and the first (and best) cartoon premiered on TV in 1987, I think the age range is a LITTLE bigger than that.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

trainman wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:15 pm
econgator wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 pmThe company Braun is pronounced "brown", for example.
Wow, someone should really tell the Braun YouTube account.
I'm not sure that proves anything. Lots of foreign companies change their pronunciation for other markets. An example I can think of is IKEA. It's pronounced like "E-Kay-A" in Swedish.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

plus, Godiva chocolate in the US vs most everywhere else...
(guh-DIE-vuh vs guh-DEE-vuh)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mhepbaum wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:17 pm I had an AMAZING time. Seriously a thrill. Having to deal with internet turds is such a small price to pay for having had the chance to have such a great experience.
Hey! What did we ever say about you?!?

Seriously, hopefully the netizenry doesn't get too harsh on you. You looked like you were having a lot of fun, and that's what I like to see in a contestant. Sorry it didn't work out better in terms of title/compensation, but you seemed to have made the best of it. Enjoy those donuts!
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Leaper wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 12:53 am
Kenny wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 pm Aargh! We had two categories on millennial pop culture then a FJ on a cartoon that only millennials would recognize.
Ahem — considering the Turtles were first created in the comics in, as the clue said, 1984, and the first (and best) cartoon premiered on TV in 1987, I think the age range is a LITTLE bigger than that.
. It's also current, there was a TMNT move last year, regardless of whether I actually want to remeber that.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Finally broke my losing streak in FJ. It wasn't an instaget, but when I saw all of the masks of four different colors, and I remembered the year, it clicked.

I remember the year because I actively collected comics in those days, including buying a few indy comics. But I remembered turning down buying the #1 of that comic, saying "who the hell is going to buy a comic with that name?" Shows you what I know....
BobF

Post by BobF »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:59 pm
Woppy T wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 pm I know nobody will agree, but they should not have accepted "Carol Moseley Brown." It's "Braun," not "Brown."
I heard that as well and was waiting for a reversal.
I'm in agreement as well.

If this was an NFL game, I'd be complaining about it being poorly officiated (between that and Mack not losing $200 for his incorrect answer and the philandering/philanderer response).
Last edited by BobF on Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

I don't know about other sources, but Tom Lehrer's German pronunciation is all I need to call this one fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh yes, there was a TS in this game where they didn't hit the beeps. I know that's happened now and then. What's the rhyme or reason?
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:52 am Oh yes, there was a TS in this game where they didn't hit the beeps. I know that's happened now and then. What's the rhyme or reason?
Probably just a matter of post production editing. Could have also been a tape delay there.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I wasn't getting FJ in a million years - 0/4 this week - a new low!

LT: Capistrano, gimlet (my go-to summer drink), Last Judgment, MDD: philodendron

Why can't I understand anything Mackenzie says? Surprised Alex didn't correct his pronunciation of sans. Le deuxième S is only pronounced in French if the next word begins with a vowel (like sans abri - homeless)

Philander-ER would've been ruled wrong on another day

NHO Philco or 'hammer and tongs' but ok
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 8:11 pm More fancy-schmancy food in Main Vegetable.
Just because something's international doesn't make it fancy :P
BobF

Post by BobF »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 am Why can't I understand anything Mackenzie says? Surprised Alex didn't correct his pronunciation of sans. Le deuxième S is only pronounced in French if the next word begins with a vowel (like sans abri - homeless)
That's okay, we Jersey Shore natives have a lot of trouble understanding you New Yorkers as well. :-D
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm
Also, I got it from the 'blacksmith's tools' bit, but WTF was that hammer and tongs clue talking about?
It hurt me that no one got this one during the game, because it's one of my personal favorite phrases. I use it in my law practice almost every day when talking to clients about how vigorously we'll pursue a case.

Maybe I need to revisit usage of it in the future, if it's not as widely known/used as I'd always thought it was.

Then again, I also use bailiwick in my day-to-day practice too. Might have to start updating my work vocabulary to something 21st century one of these days.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BobF wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:39 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 am Why can't I understand anything Mackenzie says? Surprised Alex didn't correct his pronunciation of sans. Le deuxième S is only pronounced in French if the next word begins with a vowel (like sans abri - homeless)
That's okay, we Jersey Shore natives have a lot of trouble understanding you New Yorkers as well. :-D
I'm not a native NYer. Born in Hackensack, NJ lived in Yonkers for my first 5 years, then Ringwood, NJ til I shoved off to college in New Brunswick, NJ. Only came to NYC at the ripe age of 23. Mackenzie has something going on with his speech - even Alex had trouble understanding him. Maybe he just talks too fast. I got 90% of what he said, but there was no discernible Jersey accent.

And my parents live in Tom's River :P
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri May 26, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

JLJ wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:40 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm
Also, I got it from the 'blacksmith's tools' bit, but WTF was that hammer and tongs clue talking about?
It hurt me that no one got this one during the game, because it's one of my personal favorite phrases. I use it in my law practice almost every day when talking to clients about how vigorously we'll pursue a case.

Maybe I need to revisit usage of it in the future, if it's not as widely known/used as I'd always thought it was.

Then again, I also use bailiwick in my day-to-day practice too. Might have to start updating my work vocabulary to something 21st century one of these days.
tooth and nail, hook or crook, yes; hammer and tongs, no, hammer and sickle, hammer time, yes! :lol: