Thursday, May 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 25, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:45 am
BobF wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:39 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 am Why can't I understand anything Mackenzie says? Surprised Alex didn't correct his pronunciation of sans. Le deuxième S is only pronounced in French if the next word begins with a vowel (like sans abri - homeless)
That's okay, we Jersey Shore natives have a lot of trouble understanding you New Yorkers as well. :-D
I'm not a native NYer. Born in Hackensack, NJ lived in Yonkers for my first 5 years, then Ringwood, NJ til I shoved off to college in New Brunswick, NJ. Only came to NYC at the ripe age of 23. Mackenzie has something going on with his speech - even Alex had trouble understanding him. Maybe he just talks too fast. I got 90% of what he said, but there was no discernible Jersey accent.

And my parents live in Tom's River :P
So you're a Rutgers grad? I am as well. Are your parents retirees? Seems most of the people in Ocean County who lived up north for a while are retirees. My dad chose to keep us down in Monmouth County (mostly Ocean Township, next to Asbury Park) and for several years he did the commute into the city thing. He hated it. Some nights he would just bunk down at my grandmother's place in Brooklyn.

ETA: Just did some googling and Mackenzie grew up in Sussex County. Found an article about him that said "Kittatiny Regional Grad to appear on Jeopardy!"

http://www.njherald.com/20170523/kittat ... n-jeopardy
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BobF wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:48 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 am Why can't I understand anything Mackenzie says? Surprised Alex didn't correct his pronunciation of sans. Le deuxième S is only pronounced in French if the next word begins with a vowel (like sans abri - homeless)
That's okay, we Jersey Shore natives have a lot of trouble understanding you New Yorkers as well. :-D
I'm not a native NYer. Born in Hackensack, NJ lived in Yonkers for my first 5 years, then Ringwood, NJ til I shoved off to college in New Brunswick, NJ. Only came to NYC at the ripe age of 23. Mackenzie has something going on with his speech - even Alex had trouble understanding him. Maybe he just talks too fast. I got 90% of what he said, but there was no discernible Jersey accent.

So you're a Rutgers grad? I am as well. Are your parents retirees? Seems most of the people in Ocean County who lived up north for a while are retirees. My dad chose to keep us down in Monmouth County (mostly Ocean Township, next to Asbury Park) and for several years he did the commute into the city thing. He hated it. Some nights he would just bunk down at my grandmother's place in Brooklyn.
Yup, Rutgers College 1994. And yup, parents are retired. They recently moved back to NJ after a brief stint in California to be near the grandkids. Needless to say, that arrangement didn't work out...
BobF

Post by BobF »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 12:15 pm
BobF wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:48 am

Yup, Rutgers College 1994. And yup, parents are retired. They recently moved back to NJ after a brief stint in California to be near the grandkids. Needless to say, that arrangement didn't work out...
I had you pegged somewhat younger. We're close enough that we may have met some of the same people. Folks who were freshmen when I was a senior might have still been around when you started. But if I knew any of those people, they would have likely have had to have been on the Ultimate Frisbee team.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
davey

Post by davey »

acthomas wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 9:23 am
Woppy T wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 pm I know nobody will agree, but they should not have accepted "Carol Moseley Brown." It's "Braun," not "Brown."
I don't know about other sources, but Tom Lehrer's German pronunciation is all I need to call this one fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio
Agreed. If it can be pronounced that way, it's acceptable.
A lot of informative links in this thread. My guess is they threw the "medical examiner" question away after finding that CDC page. Maybe they got the original wrong idea from this page-

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/03/131242432 ... your-state

In retrospect, the masks if not the faces should have led me to the right FJ response even though it's one TV show I never saw, but I was lost...
ACW

Post by ACW »

I still call shenanigans on coroner vs. medical examiner.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Leaper wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 12:53 am
Kenny wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 pm Aargh! We had two categories on millennial pop culture then a FJ on a cartoon that only millennials would recognize.
Ahem — considering the Turtles were first created in the comics in, as the clue said, 1984, and the first (and best) cartoon premiered on TV in 1987, I think the age range is a LITTLE bigger than that.
Since millennials are defined as the generation born 1985-2004, many of them would have been children (the target demographic) while TMNT was popular on Saturday morning TV. I had two nephews who were huge Turtles fans in the 80s, but as a boomer, I've never seen a single episode.

I was merely venting my frustration that the current crop of J! writers seem obsessed with millennial pop culture.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Kenny wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:52 pm
Kenny wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 pm Aargh! We had two categories on millennial pop culture then a FJ on a cartoon that only millennials would recognize.
Ahem — considering the Turtles were first created in the comics in, as the clue said, 1984, and the first (and best) cartoon premiered on TV in 1987, I think the age range is a LITTLE bigger than that.
Since millennials are defined as the generation born 1985-2004, many of them would have been children (the target demographic) while TMNT was popular on Saturday morning TV. I had two nephews who were huge Turtles fans in the 80s, but as a boomer, I've never seen a single episode.

I was merely venting my frustration that the current crop of J! writers seem obsessed with millennial pop culture.
Us Gen X'ers recognize them from our childhood/teen years too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mhepbaum
Contributor

Post by mhepbaum »

As a millennial (albeit one who royally messed up that easy-as-hell FJ clue, alas), I only wish my pop culture clues had not been so...not what they've been focusing on. Babs duets? Sci-Fi movies? (Sigh). COOL. THANKS. I, as a Zumba/Pilates/Yoga/BodyPump instructor, only had to sit there digging my nails into poor Sam Spencer's arm as they did that Musical Numbers category earlier this week and revealed FIVE. SONGS. I. HAD. LITERALLY. ALREADY. USED. OR. BEEN. USING. IN. MY. CLASS. PLAYLISTS.

Certified member of the Beyhive here (went to see the Lemonade tour last May when she was in the Bay Area!) and my Zumba students will won't let me take 24K Magic out of rotation. I sobbed.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,400
44 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: hammer/tongs, gimlet, corn and lima beans, Judgment, philodendron (DD)

I had to root for Jon since we both have the same profession: former attorney.

NHO philippic.

I can't believe J! continues to play video clues on such a small screen. It's ridiculous that someone can lose a game because they couldn't squint their eyes hard enough.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Where did you get 1985-2004 as a millennial birth range? It doesn't match up with any of the numerous ranges on the Wikipedia entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials) which start as early as 1976 and no later than 1984 with most ending in the mid to late 1990s. I tend to favor the US Census Bureau's range of 1982-2000 as it makes the label "millennial" make sense as a generation that began reaching adulthood starting in the new millennium and lines up roughly with 18-year generational periods for the baby boomers (1946-1963) and Gen X (1964-1981) with Generation Z members (2001-2018) starting to reach adulthood in 2019.
I would prefer not to.
ACW

Post by ACW »

I was born in 1983 and consider myself a millennial. 1976 seems too early IMO.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:02 pm I can't believe J! continues to play video clues on such a small screen. It's ridiculous that someone can lose a game because they couldn't squint their eyes hard enough.
I agree. I can't believe they can't figure out how to use the big board to show those clues, or at least get a huge monitor over there.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

dhkendall wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 12:33 am
econgator wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 pm
Woppy T wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:44 pm I know nobody will agree, but they should not have accepted "Carol Moseley Brown." It's "Braun," not "Brown."
It's not about how she pronounces it, it's how it could be pronounced. The company Braun is pronounced "brown", for example. There was zero chance of reversal.
Strange, in all the ads I've seen it sounds like a homophone of "brawn".

(I do have a relative named Braun who pronounces it Brown though (and coincidentally my wife's maiden name is Brown!)
The one most people are most familiar with is Hitler's mistress/wife Eva Braun -- usually pronounced "Brown" in historical documentaries. The Germanic "au" corresponds to English "ow," as in "haus" and "frau".
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Depends on whether they knew it because of their own interest or because of the interest of their children. I'm an early-1950s boomer who was raising grade-schoolers and tweens in the 1980s, so TNMT, He Man and the Masters of the Universe, Carmen Sandiego, and the like are all in the memory banks.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mhepbaum wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:17 pm I had an AMAZING time. Seriously a thrill. Having to deal with internet turds is such a small price to pay for having had the chance to have such a great experience.
Head high -- Illegitimi non carborundum.

I try to keep in mind that those who can, do, while those who can't, criticize those those who can and do. I very much enjoyed your appearance and enthusiasm!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:53 amI try to keep in mind that those who can, do, while those who can't, criticize those those who can and do. I very much enjoyed your appearance and enthusiasm!
Well, there's also those who could if only TPTB would stop giving the call to Subarus. :lol:
mhepbaum
Contributor

Post by mhepbaum »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:53 am
mhepbaum wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 9:17 pm I had an AMAZING time. Seriously a thrill. Having to deal with internet turds is such a small price to pay for having had the chance to have such a great experience.
Head high -- Illegitimi non carborundum.

I try to keep in mind that those who can, do, while those who can't, criticize those those who can and do. I very much enjoyed your appearance and enthusiasm!
Funny enough, I actually spoke too soon in anticipation because I have gotten 0 of the pillorying I was expecting! I mean, yeah, Twitter, and friends and family ribbing me about my ridiculous mess-up 😂 But no internet strangers coming to seek me out. I am breathing a sigh of relief!

Yay for pleasant surprises!

Now, I must go, so if you'll excuse me, in the famous words of the great Ninja Turtle Da Vinci - let's rocket, it's morphin' time.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 2:15 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:53 amI try to keep in mind that those who can, do, while those who can't, criticize those those who can and do. I very much enjoyed your appearance and enthusiasm!
Well, there's also those who could if only TPTB would stop giving the call to Subarus. :lol:
I know this was tongue-in-cheek and it did make me grin. Hope you make it some day, preferably soon. It took me 64 years, so I'm hoping your selection moves faster....

Speaking seriously though, the vast, vast, vast VAST majority of the folks I've encountered in the Jeopardy! fan community would be classified as "can-ners and doers" instead of "can't-ers and criticizers." They watch, they think, they participate, they research, they share, they contribute to a community instead of simply sitting on the sidelines sniping. That's a GOOD thing. I know I appreciate it, and I think most do.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 7:42 pm
I know this was tongue-in-cheek and it did make me grin. Hope you make it some day, preferably soon. It took me 64 years, so I'm hoping your selection moves faster....
It was tongue-in-cheek, but I definitely class myself with the Subarus. And at this point, I'm a Subaru with a blown head gasket. My time has past.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 9:28 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 7:42 pm
It was tongue-in-cheek, but I definitely class myself with the Subarus. And at this point, I'm a Subaru with a blown head gasket. My time has past.
Oh, well, better a Subaru than a Simca!

http://1950s-land.blogspot.com/2016/02/ ... -1958.html

My first car was a two-door 1958 Simca Aronde 1300.

In some ways, it was very much like an F-16 fighter jet. The F-16 requires about 14 maintenance hours per flight hour. So did my Simca. I actually bought another one, disassembled them, and cobbled together a FrankenSimca that was would get me to school and to work a bit more reliably. I would have killed for a Subaru, but they weren't imported until after I got the Simca.