Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:30 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 am My opponent yesterday had a season record of 0-10-0. I knew I was doomed as soon as I saw that. Sure enough she beat me with a six-pack. :)
I missed The Shawshank Redemption.
That was the one I missed, but I escaped with an 8(5)-8(5) tie. I'm surprised the get rate on that one was so high. I felt like there was nothing getting me toward the right answer (speaking as someone very familiar with the movie). Except for a few rare instances, I don't associate films with particular years, and I don't think I've ever looked at IMDB rankings (I've never particularly liked their site), so I was pretty much SOL. C'est la vie. I think Alexandre Dumbass wrote that.
I am admittedly an IMDB frequenter, but within that world it's been a pretty big "Wow!" for, like, forever that Shawshank Redemption has been ranked as the #1 film of all time. Given that, nothing else in the question was necessary.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 am My opponent yesterday had a season record of 0-10-0. I knew I was doomed as soon as I saw that. Sure enough she beat me with a six-pack. :)
That was the one I missed, but I escaped with an 8(5)-8(5) tie. I'm surprised the get rate on that one was so high. I felt like there was nothing getting me toward the right answer (speaking as someone very familiar with the movie). Except for a few rare instances, I don't associate films with particular years, and I don't think I've ever looked at IMDB rankings (I've never particularly liked their site), so I was pretty much SOL. C'est la vie. I think Alexandre Dumbass wrote that.
For me, it was the "frequent airing on TNT" that did it. My wife and I have commented on numerous occasions that Shawshank Redemption always seems to be playing on TNT. The only other films that have similarly occasioned such commentary are Bull Durham and Overboard :mrgreen:
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

alietr wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:50 pm Crud. I had managed to tie her.
It got changed to a win as all of her stats went to 0(0). I noticed that this morning -- between that and the player with the heretofore worst record forfeiting against me yesterday, 2 of the 3 relegation spots should be fairly locked up.

Devo just would not come to me, was right on the tip of my tongue, which bugged me something awful, but I was happy to get the educated "helio- means sun" guess. All for naught with an 8(5)-0(F) that at least helped my MPD a whole lot.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:49 am
I am admittedly an IMDB frequenter, but within that world it's been a pretty big "Wow!" for, like, forever that Shawshank Redemption has been ranked as the #1 film of all time. Given that, nothing else in the question was necessary.
Where on the imdb site are the rankings? I go there a fair amount but don't remember ever seeing any kind of rankings on the site.

edit: never mind, just found it: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6

At least my guess is in the top ten on the IMDB list and was released in the correct year (Pulp Fiction)!
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

1994 is one of those infamous Oscar years. Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, Shawshank Redemption, and Four Weddings and a Funeral all lost to Forrest Gump.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

alietr wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:30 am I'm surprised the get rate on that one was so high. I felt like there was nothing getting me toward the right answer (speaking as someone very familiar with the movie). Except for a few rare instances, I don't associate films with particular years, and I don't think I've ever looked at IMDB rankings (I've never particularly liked their site).
These were my feelings exactly. My assumption was that there had been some discussion somewhere about the film's history that I missed out on.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

A 7(5)-7(4) tie as we 3ed each other on Devo (his pop music was .340), but the zero I assigned for Shawshank went to waste on an opponent's film over .600
We both missed sunscreen.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jfrumkin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:08 am
alietr wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:50 pm Crud. I had managed to tie her.
It got changed to a win as all of her stats went to 0(0). I noticed that this morning -- between that and the player with the heretofore worst record forfeiting against me yesterday, 2 of the 3 relegation spots should be fairly locked up.
I guess my point was that most people "lost" to her and therefore gained 2 points. Since I had tied her, I only gained 1.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:10 am Where on the imdb site are the rankings? I go there a fair amount but don't remember ever seeing any kind of rankings on the site.

edit: never mind, just found it: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6
Wow, that list is terrible. It reaffirms my dislike of the site.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

RandyG wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:49 am
I got it partly from that. I used to lurk there a lot but haven't since they shut their message boards down. Are they any good message boards that cover a wide variety of TV and movies like they (and TVWOP) used to?

I would have won but got a tie by going with embargo over boycott. I think I've heard that story before but what they were doing sounded more like an embargo to me.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Troydozzy wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:15 am
alietr wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:30 am I'm surprised the get rate on that one was so high. I felt like there was nothing getting me toward the right answer (speaking as someone very familiar with the movie). Except for a few rare instances, I don't associate films with particular years, and I don't think I've ever looked at IMDB rankings (I've never particularly liked their site).
These were my feelings exactly. My assumption was that there had been some discussion somewhere about the film's history that I missed out on.
When I think of movies that were bombs but became super popular later, the two that always seem to jump out are Shawshank Redemption and Office Space, and Office Space was later than 1994.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I tied my longest win streak ever in LL with a 3(3)-2(1) win on MD12, and have won 7 of my last 8 matches to improve to 7-3-2 on the season and have climbed to the #5 position in Pacific Division 2; this matches my highest ranking ever. The race has tightened at the top of the leaderboard, with four of us in the #2 through #5 spots now separated by just 1 point; the MD12 win was against the previous holder of the #2 position.

At the beginning of this season, I thought the questions being asked were extremely difficult and I only got 4 questions correct on the first four days. During this win streak, I've answered 15 correctly out of 30 and have a personal record high get rate of .361 for the season. Some of these correct answers have just been wild guesses that have worked out but most have been things I've known.

When I signed up for LL, I expected I would spend most of my time in the E level with occasional forays into D rundle...but when I check the standings for the other rundles, I would not be competitive in any of them; E is where I belong but it's exciting that I'm in the running for a rare promotion if I can keep winning. There's lots of time for things to fall apart, though; we're only halfway through the season.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I finally had a good day, going 5/6 yesterday. My opponent played perfect defense (I had no idea on the food question), but it felt good to get a much needed win. I'm still only 2 spots above the relegation zone, though.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Choux was actually mentioned in another question just a few months ago in LL72! I still got it wrong. :(
https://learnedleague.com/question.php?72&9&6
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:14 am Choux was actually mentioned in another question just a few months ago in LL72! I still got it wrong. :(
Ditto. As soon as I saw it, I thought, "Yeah, that's that word I wanted to remember."
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I've lost two days in a row to 9(6)'s.
Both times, my opponent was the only one in the division to drink the beer.
And this is not an A or B Rundle!
Hoping for a third lap
Volante

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:14 am Choux was actually mentioned in another question just a few months ago in LL72! I still got it wrong. :(
Outside of LL, where would one go to learn LL level food/drink knowledge like this?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:32 pm
Outside of LL, where would one go to learn LL level food/drink knowledge like this?
Culinary school?

Seriously, I think with the popularity of cooking/food shows on TV there are lots of people out there with broad knowledge in this category nowadays.
Volante

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:27 pm
Culinary school?

Seriously, I think with the popularity of cooking/food shows on TV there are lots of people out there with broad knowledge in this category nowadays.
Not the ones I've looked at. Anthony Bourdain's (thanks Netflix) are more history programs than cooking shows. And Chef's Table (also, Netflix) is more Biography, just for chefs. Not much in the nuts and bolts.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I got it by watching The Great British Baking Show, which starts up again on PBS in the next few weeks. The reason I remembered this rather than any of the other kinds of pastryd they made during the show is that I heard is as "shoe pastry", and when I went to look it up on-line I had a hard time figuring out how it was truly spelled.
Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

The only reason I got chouc was I remember it was part of the downfall of a certain Jeopardy champion on 500 Questions.