New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

pickingbluesquares
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by pickingbluesquares »

Hey guys I'm new here and I see I can't make a new topic until I have a few posts under my belt. Maybe the question I need answered can be resolved in this thread anyway. Is there a reason so much of the media on J-Archive is either down or completely gone (ie. broken links)? Does it still exist somewhere but that server is down or something?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

pickingbluesquares wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:12 pm Hey guys I'm new here and I see I can't make a new topic until I have a few posts under my belt. Maybe the question I need answered can be resolved in this thread anyway. Is there a reason so much of the media on J-Archive is either down or completely gone (ie. broken links)? Does it still exist somewhere but that server is down or something?
It's all entered by volunteers, so the media clues require whoever is archiving that game to make screen grabs/audio clips/etc. After that they get sent to the the Archivist who then has to match the clips to the games. It can take a while to get all that done.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Post by Archivists »

For most of the newer games we have the recordings so it's just a matter of getting around to it. And making sure our media is well backed-up! I recently had a computer die and I haven't quite figured out yet what the damage is as far as lost games.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:30 amThe SPORTS FJ! is an easy-peasy trivia chestnut that is still accurate today.
I drew a total blank. Every team I tried to pull that didn't end in an S was from something other than MLB, and every MLB name I could pull ended in S.

See, I'm so terrible at this anymore that I can't even get old FJ!s right...
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have completed my dibs call for May with 4/25/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1751

June - August I plan to set the time machine back a little further and I'll pick back up with S18 games in the fall.

All of the links worked although I'm never sure if I have properly marked them according to Archive protocols.

Fun Alex demo at IT'S A BOY! $1000 and I wonder if there is some other way to mark that clue when the subject of Alex doing things for clues comes up?

Not that it mattered for the end result but ouch on Nathan in TAIWAN $1000 as his guess fit everything except the pinned year.

The video for GODS $1600 is freaky and I may have nightmares.

Even though I've seem the game previously I still could not recall both names for the FJ! clue. Fortunately, I joined the players in only needing the one.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It looks like a third response became correct for that final Jeopardy in 2004 when
Spoiler
donald duck was added to the walk of fame
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:07 am It looks like a third response became correct for that final Jeopardy in 2004 when
Spoiler
Which 2004 game is this? It seems there hasn't been a 2004 game entered in a while going back in the comments in this thread.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:14 am
jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:07 am It looks like a third response became correct for that final Jeopardy in 2004 when
Spoiler
Which 2004 game is this? It seems there hasn't been a 2004 game entered in a while going back in the comments in this thread.
No, the third correct response became such in 2004.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 pm I have completed my dibs call for May with 4/25/02: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1751
I got the Lach Trash on "Basso profundo". I love bass singers.

Giddyup, ba oom papa oom papa mow mow...
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Animfan1 has posted the March 23, 1989 and March 24, 1989 episodes on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
Twiceacontestant

Post by Twiceacontestant »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:31 am Courtesy of Pannoni, we have the October 25, 1985 game. Al Lusher vs. Faye Ringel vs. Mark Leinwand. As he puts it, it's the Back to the Future episode.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5604

Now this, my friends, is an interesting game. It's game 2 for ToCer Mark Leinwand, but he might be the 3rd most interesting player in the game. At podium 3 we have Al (Alan) Lusher, the all-time winner on the '70s Alex Trebek game show Double Dare. (No mention is made of that fact) But it's player 2 I'm most interested in. I had to Google to try to figure out her name, and it turns out that Coast Guard Academy professor Faye Ringel was a semi-finalist in the 1974 Art Fleming Jeopardy Tournament of Champions! They didn't mention that either, but I wish they had. I can confirm it's the same person thank to an Instagram pic I can't link to at work. (Thanks, Matthew Heim, whoever you are!)

I think the indefatigable Matthew must be the one who tracked me down--yes, I am THAT Faye Ringel. In fact, according to Google, I'm the only one of that exact name. Thank you, Matthew, for alerting me to the existence of this board. One could wish for a clearer video, but since my only copy is on VHS, it's great to be able to see (or at least hear) it again.
I was indeed an undefeated champion in 1973: the episodes were filmed in June but not aired till late August because they kept being preempted by the Watergate hearings! I'm told that those master tapes no longer exist, that NBC taped over them. I have some cassette audiotapes of parts of the five episodes, but that's it. And I don't know about Al or Mark, but it's no coincidence that I had previous Jeopardy experience. The show actually called me and asked me to return (at my own expense, of course). I was easy to find because I was once again living at the same address and phone number that I'd given for the 1973 appearances.
Here's an interesting tidbit. I was told at the time by the representative who called that they were trying to improve the quality of contestants by seeking out former winners. Off the record, someone at the studio said that the intelligence of walk-ins in LA did not compare with New York.

So, quick rundown.

Daily Double hunting strategy would be a lot different today if they still had an Audio Daily Double in every game. The players stayed away from DANCE SONGS for way too long.

Gonna give the Clues of the Game award to HATS for $400 and $500:
$400: Unlike the haberdasher, this person makes women's hats

$500: Lacy headgear worn by the ladies of Spain
Spoiler
$400: What is a milliner?
$500: What is the mantilla?
Those are both Things Worth Knowing.

2 consecutive games I've entered with THE '50s as a category. I'm pretty sure they used the same category title slide both times. It's got a weird-looking "s" on it.

LABOR UNIONS for $200 (DJ!) is no longer accurate. The number is now closer to 11%.

I was sure that SOUTH CAROLINA for $1000 was going to be a stumper, but congrats to Faye for getting it.
For over 25 years he published a unique newspaper, "The Carolina Israelite" in Charlotte
Spoiler
Who is Harry Golden?
I'm guessing fewer than 5 contestants this whole season could get that one right today. I'd never heard of him, but he sounds interesting.

In the previous game I entered, Paula Tupper failed to spell out the acronym ASCAP for a Daily Double, but this time around Mark Leinwand managed to get AFTRA for a DD. I always mix those 2 up.

In Inside Jeopardy, Harry Eisenberg notes that the quiz show scandals were a verboten topic under Merv Griffin's watch, but THE '50s for $400 (DJ!) was apparently written before that rule went into effect.

And poor Al muffed it in FJ, forgetting to phrase his (correct) response as a question. Fortunately it did not effect the outcome of the game on a triple get with big wagers. In the J! round, he also responded without ringing in, so Faye got the points.

This was a well-played game with some good, tough clues. Worth tracking down on Daily Motion if you have 20 minutes to kill. Have a good night all.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How did Walter Mayes miss the TOC & UTOC? I have input this S8 game with Walter Mayes, Joseph D'Hippolito & Rhea Levine: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5660

Rhea & Walter including photos:
Spoiler
She was not even close to looking at the camera when her name was show.

I posted a picture of Joseph last summer.

Rhea was introduced with her name as Ree-Uh [surname like Adam on The Voice], but I need help on the best way to make a line for that in the Archive as I'm terrible at properly breaking down pronunciations.

Using this: http://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/31/style ... nnedy.html

and this: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/r ... =guestbook

it seems that Rhea died in 2002.

I found a two-part interview with Walter here with no mention made of J!: http://www.teenreads.com/features/real- ... ian-part-1

http://www.teenreads.com/features/real- ... ian-part-2
As for the J! game itself, I may have gone overboard in archiving what happened at DD3.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Twiceacontestant wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 am I think the indefatigable Matthew must be the one who tracked me down--yes, I am THAT Faye Ringel. In fact, according to Google, I'm the only one of that exact name. Thank you, Matthew, for alerting me to the existence of this board. One could wish for a clearer video, but since my only copy is on VHS, it's great to be able to see (or at least hear) it again.
I was indeed an undefeated champion in 1973: the episodes were filmed in June but not aired till late August because they kept being preempted by the Watergate hearings! I'm told that those master tapes no longer exist, that NBC taped over them. I have some cassette audiotapes of parts of the five episodes, but that's it. And I don't know about Al or Mark, but it's no coincidence that I had previous Jeopardy experience. The show actually called me and asked me to return (at my own expense, of course). I was easy to find because I was once again living at the same address and phone number that I'd given for the 1973 appearances.
Here's an interesting tidbit. I was told at the time by the representative who called that they were trying to improve the quality of contestants by seeking out former winners. Off the record, someone at the studio said that the intelligence of walk-ins in LA did not compare with New York.
Welcome to JBoard, Faye! That's interesting that in Season 2 of the Trebek era, they invited champions from the Fleming era to return.
Twiceacontestant

Post by Twiceacontestant »

Thanks, Matthew--and I now realize that you're a different Matthew. . .
Yes, I only know from my own case--never talked to any of the other contestants!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for sharing your story, Faye. That was interesting. Congrats on doing so well on the old version.

Yes, they did copy over the Fleming episodes and very few exist. There are some partial ones on YouTube, but they are not in great condition.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Animfan1 has posted the March 27, 1989 episode on Dailymotion:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 am Animfan1 has posted the March 27, 1989 episode on Dailymotion:

A different archivist filled in 3/23 & 3/24 and the March 23 game had the J! round end with scores of: minus 100, zero and 200

Are there any games with a lower combined total after the J! round?

Today's old game I added is S5 with Tony Dalasio, John Kraft & Nancy Feinstein playing after Mark McDermott was retired: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5663

The game was a Mark special with 15W.

POTPOURRI $400: Wilson Sporting Goods Company recommends little leaguers wear a 10-inch one

This TS clue set the table for a viral video miss before such a thing existed.

Player pictures:
Spoiler

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm A different archivist filled in 3/23 & 3/24 and the March 23 game had the J! round end with scores of: minus 100, zero and 200

The J! round on April 3, 2006 ended with the scores at $0, $800, and -$1,000.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 am Animfan1 has posted the March 27, 1989 episode on Dailymotion:

A different archivist filled in 3/23 & 3/24 and the March 23 game had the J! round end with scores of: minus 100, zero and 200

Today's old game I added is S5 with Tony Dalasio, John Kraft & Nancy Feinstein playing after Mark McDermott was retired: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5663

The game was a Mark special with 15W.

POTPOURRI $400: Wilson Sporting Goods Company recommends little leaguers wear a 10-inch one

This TS clue set the table for a viral video miss before such a thing existed.

Player pictures:
Spoiler

Are you sure that Word Play for $200 (1st clue in DJ) didn't mention "Mardi GRASS", not Gras?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:44 pm Are you sure that Word Play for $200 (1st clue in DJ) didn't mention "Mardi GRASS", not Gras?
No, so I checked the tape and it was "Grass", exactly the kind of thing easy for me to overlook when I proofread the game. Thanks, the fix is in.