The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 pm
Moscow, or New York City at $400?
Moscow - the "Onion tops" in the clue were talking about the Kremlin, and it's some pretty distinctive architecture:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 246e9d.jpg

NYC - If you don't know "Hell's Kitchen" from knowledge of New York, you might know it as Daredevil's neighborhood.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Wheatley wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 pm
Moscow, or New York City at $400?
Moscow - the "Onion tops" in the clue were talking about the Kremlin, and it's some pretty distinctive architecture:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 246e9d.jpg

NYC - If you don't know "Hell's Kitchen" from knowledge of New York, you might know it as Daredevil's neighborhood.
Actually, that is St Basil's Cathedral in Red Square, not the Kremlin. But very distinctively Muscovian for all that.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

For Gupta/Chandragupta and all that good stuff, I present to you Bill Wurtz's "history of the entire world, I guess"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCn8ux2gbs
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

THE ELEMENT $400: Samarium, a truly attractive element, is used in high-strength permanent these

I had no idea when I saw the clue and looking at it again now I can see that "attractive" was not going to be enough to help me.

Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points is about as famous as it gets for sports trivia. First they showed the jersey and then they showed Wilt himself. Tonight's clue will be the 8th in the Archive for a Chamberlain/100 search hit. It will come up again and you will take the zero again.

For Montgomery being Alabama's capital only you can figure out what will work for you to remember it. I know Montgomery Burns is not the way to go since you don't like that show. You like stores, so is there any kind of Montgomery Ward connection to make even though outdated? Your best best is to think of John Michael Montgomery even though he is not an Alabama guy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 pm For Montgomery being Alabama's capital only you can figure out what will work for you to remember it. I know Montgomery Burns is not the way to go since you don't like that show. You like stores, so is there any kind of Montgomery Ward connection to make even though outdated? Your best best is to think of John Michael Montgomery even though he is not an Alabama guy.
I think the problem is that I know too many things called "Montgomery" that it just gets pushed to the back. It's like the total antithesis to my Hawley-Smoot rule.

Not even this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3oHpup-pk
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Your best best is to think of John Michael Montgomery even though he is not an Alabama guy.
Or this guy:

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 pm Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points is about as famous as it gets for sports trivia. First they showed the jersey and then they showed Wilt himself.
I'm not even a big basketball fan and I blurted out "Chamberlain" the second that Philadelphia Warriors jersey was shown. I'm sure lots of people did.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:23 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 pm Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points is about as famous as it gets for sports trivia. First they showed the jersey and then they showed Wilt himself.
I'm not even a big basketball fan and I blurted out "Chamberlain" the second that Philadelphia Warriors jersey was shown. I'm sure lots of people did.
I was thinking Chamberlain right up until I saw the picture. Then I got cold feet. I just didn't recognize his younger self.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 pm For Montgomery being Alabama's capital only you can figure out what will work for you to remember it. I know Montgomery Burns is not the way to go since you don't like that show. You like stores, so is there any kind of Montgomery Ward connection to make even though outdated? Your best best is to think of John Michael Montgomery even though he is not an Alabama guy.
Too bad the Reddit guy took the Birmingham station's airing instead of Montgomery, he might have watched it that way and maybe caught a snippet of the station ID. But that probably still wouldn't have helped.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Still unanswered from Friday:
WLT Roman, Yosemite, or Netherlands at the top box?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:07 pm Still unanswered from Friday:
WLT Roman, Yosemite, or Netherlands at the top box?
You're not going to like any of them and none of it will help you for future clues. This is what I did with limited knowledge and the willingness to guess in first box without really knowing any of them. It got me a 5/5 though.

In 9 A.D. this empire tried to conquer the Germanic tribes but got crushed at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest

Early A.D. empire? Guess Roman.

Shortly after Ansel Adams' death, a mountain in this national park was named for him

If a clue wants an Ansel Adams national park then guess Yosemite.

The world's largest flower auction, in Aalsmeer in this country, sells 20 million flowers a day

Aalsmeer looked like Vermeer and double Aa, so Dutch. That's Netherlands.

As a concession to workers during an 1894 railroad strike, President Cleveland created this U.S. holiday

Shorten the clue to workers holiday. That is of course Labor Day.

This state has the largest congressional district in area, 571,000 square miles

Let me make a list of states with 571,000 square miles:
1. Alaska

Done. 571,000 sq. miles is huge.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pmIn 9 A.D. this empire tried to conquer the Germanic tribes but got crushed at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest

Because that was the only empire around at the time, right?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pm The world's largest flower auction, in Aalsmeer in this country, sells 20 million flowers a day

Yet another "kinda sorta vaguely almost looks like something" clue. Is there a reason we can't just pin the damn clues objectively?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pmAs a concession to workers during an 1894 railroad strike, President Cleveland created this U.S. holiday

Because that automatically assumes it was a workers' themed holiday.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pm This state has the largest congressional district in area, 571,000 square miles

1. Alaska

Okay, so if you have no idea how big that really is... (California is only just over 160,000.) Still, I tuned out the number and figured "well, largest congressional district doesn't necessarily mean largest state overall. Could be a big empty state like Montana."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What always gets me, TPH, is that people go out of their way to help you, and then you argue with them. SMH.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pm You're not going to like any of them and none of it will help you for future clues.
Solid pre-call. It must not be your first day here.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Alaska only has one congressional district - the entire state. So it has to be the largest.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pmIn 9 A.D. this empire tried to conquer the Germanic tribes but got crushed at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest

Because that was the only empire around at the time, right?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pm The world's largest flower auction, in Aalsmeer in this country, sells 20 million flowers a day

Yet another "kinda sorta vaguely almost looks like something" clue. Is there a reason we can't just pin the damn clues objectively?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pmAs a concession to workers during an 1894 railroad strike, President Cleveland created this U.S. holiday

Because that automatically assumes it was a workers' themed holiday.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pm This state has the largest congressional district in area, 571,000 square miles

1. Alaska

Okay, so if you have no idea how big that really is... (California is only just over 160,000.) Still, I tuned out the number and figured "well, largest congressional district doesn't necessarily mean largest state overall. Could be a big empty state like Montana."
Geez man. Again, Occam's Razor. I had no freaking clue to any of these at the time. But these are pretty easy to guess.

An empire? I dunno, so guess the Roman Empire. Was it the only one around? No, but it's top box material, so guess Roman.
"Aalsmeer" with a double AA and also selling flowers. The Netherlands, even though I never heard of Aalsmeer.
It says it's a concession to workers, so probably a worker's themed holiday. Labor day!
Largest Congressional District. Well, Alaska is the biggest state by far. And if you're thinking "doesn't mean largest state overall", it's probably time to look at how many electoral votes or reps Alaska had and realize it's just one.

Keep it simple. You think too much.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:30 pm Alaska only has one congressional district - the entire state. So it has to be the largest.

Not necessarily. The largest X is not always in the largest Y. By that logic, the largest EVERYTHING is in Alaska because it's the largest. And of course, this requires that you know that Alaska has only one congressional district to begin with.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:01 pm
teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:30 pm Alaska only has one congressional district - the entire state. So it has to be the largest.

Not necessarily. The largest X is not always in the largest Y. By that logic, the largest EVERYTHING is in Alaska because it's the largest. And of course, this requires that you know that Alaska has only one congressional district to begin with.
Yes, it does require you know Alaska has only one congressional district to begin with, (and that Alaska is the biggest state) but Teapot's logic is sound.

Alaska has only one congressional district.
Alaska is the biggest state.
Therefore, Alaska is the biggest congressional district.

What you wrote is twisting his words around.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Are you trying even harder to actively be an ass now? Do you want everyone on the board to get fed up and start ignoring you? You asked what led to the response and you got an answer. What would lead YOU to the correct response is clearly nothing, so why the hell are you asking? If you know nothing about political districts then you should absolutely expect to go 0/5 and not need to be a dick to the people who graciously answer your incessant queries.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 pm What always gets me, TPH, is that people go out of their way to help you, and then you argue with them. SMH.
Hence my constant amazement that someone actually bothers with this thread.

I would bet there's not a single thing he has learned from this thread.