Anybody else join the Alex necktie lottery on the J! store?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Anybody else join the Alex necktie lottery on the J! store?

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:35 am Sorry if I missed the joke...
You did. ;)
thanks to bamaman for the tip-off. i've watched hundreds of shows and couldn't decide if i'd seen neckties on the show or not. yeah, the police never want to interview me as an eyewitness. just have the sketch artist make a stick figure.

i just started watching the show faithfully when Cindy Stowell was on so i've missed all the drama about the tiebreakers. haven't seen one yet, but it seems a shame to end on a buzzer war.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Received a Perry Ellis Portfolio tie today, blue with black dots. :mrgreen:
(Oh, and some drinkware.)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:04 pm i just started watching the show faithfully when Cindy Stowell was on so i've missed all the drama about the tiebreakers. haven't seen one yet, but it seems a shame to end on a buzzer war.
Given the removal of all incentive to collude, I'll take the buzzer war.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

A necktie lottery?

If I ever get ONE shred of good luck associated with J!, I'm not going to spend it on a tie or on a trip to the Galapagos or any of their other stuff, no matter how cool it might be. I'm holding out for The Call. (yeah, still....)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Come on, isn't the thought of wearing Alex's own tie on the show the least bit tempting?

When I was on the show, Alex showed an inordinate amount of interest in my colorful Beatles patterned tie. Unfortunately most of the tie was hidden behind my double-breasted suit jacket. Watching the credits chat is always painful because you can see Alex gesturing toward the tie as if he wants to pull it out and see the rest of it, but being too polite to grab a contestant's necktie. If I could go back I would have pulled it out and shown it to him. (That last sentence to be read in context only, please.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:36 pm Come on, isn't the thought of wearing Alex's own tie on the show the least bit tempting?
If I could afford to plop US$100 on J! stuff, I would in a heartbeat for that exact reason.
Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:36 pmIf I could go back I would have pulled it out and shown it to him. (That last sentence to be read in context only, please.)
Too late. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

David, when you get on the show, if you really want an Alex tie to wear, I'll mail you mine.

Better not have a big gravy stain on it.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:49 pm David, when you get on the show, if you really want an Alex tie to wear, I'll mail you mine.

Better not have a big gravy stain on it.
I'd worry more about the stains if he pulls it out and shows it to him
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My Trebek tie arrived (not wrinkled and no stains with only a very tiny amount of fraying at the back bottom) and it's a Perry Ellis Portfolio. I'm not great with shades of color, but I'd say it's in the tan/gold neighborhood. It has little blue squares/diamonds.

Any J! players recognize it from when they played? I'm curious if it can be pegged to a game or games and if so, how far back? Tomorrow morning when I'm on FB I'll post it on there as well where more J! players will see it.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I received an e-mail today with a letter attached as a PDF:
Re: Authentic Alex Trebek Tie

To Whom It May Concern:

This certifies that the tie you received in connection with your purchase on the official Jeopardy! Estore site, is authentic and prior to you receiving it, belonged to Alex Trebek, the host of the television series, Jeopardy!

We hope you enjoy the tie, and thank you for being a fan of Jeopardy!

Very truly yours,
The Jeopardy! Team
I would note that there is no certification that the tie was ever part of the Jeopardy! wardrobe or that it appeared on the show. Indeed, it would seem to certify the opposite. Alex's wardrobe would surely be owned by Jeopardy! Productions Inc. and not by Alex personally, would it not?

BTW, my tie was crummy--burgundy with a weird pattern of hatted parallelograms oriented every which direction. Perry Ellis Portfolio.

I found Perry Ellis Portfolio pants at Sam's Club this weekend for ~$22/pair, and bought like seven pairs. Not as disappointed.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:09 pm I received an e-mail today with a letter attached as a PDF:
Re: Authentic Alex Trebek Tie

To Whom It May Concern:

This certifies that the tie you received in connection with your purchase on the official Jeopardy! Estore site, is authentic and prior to you receiving it, belonged to Alex Trebek, the host of the television series, Jeopardy!

We hope you enjoy the tie, and thank you for being a fan of Jeopardy!

Very truly yours,
The Jeopardy! Team
I would note that there is no certification that the tie was ever part of the Jeopardy! wardrobe or that it appeared on the show. Indeed, it would seem to certify the opposite. Alex's wardrobe would surely be owned by Jeopardy! Productions Inc. and not by Alex personally, would it not?

BTW, my tie was crummy--burgundy with a weird pattern of hatted parallelograms oriented every which direction. Perry Ellis Portfolio.

I found Perry Ellis Portfolio pants at Sam's Club this weekend for ~$22/pair, and bought like seven pairs. Not as disappointed.
From what I've seen of Alex when he's off-duty I don't gather his personal wardrobe has many ties, he seems to usually be at home in denim and t-shirts (befitting his handyman passions).

Given your description then I think I'll kindly decline your offer to borrow the Alex tie for The Call then. :) (Although, at least, provided these are all from his Jeopardy! wardrobe, we can be assured that all these ties are guaranteed to not need replacement due to messing up the cameras.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012