New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have added 10/4/87: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5665

Here are the photos for Brian Lipson, Eileen Harrsch, and Heywood Sobel:
Spoiler

The SURVEY SAYS category is a stinker with only the last clue J! worthy.

DD2 is another notch for a box 1 placement. That song still haunts my dad as he could not name it in three notes on Name that Tune in 1977.

My reaction to DD3 was the same as Brian's although I added an expletive or two watching it at home.

The FJ! clue is still true.

Here is an article about Heywood's J! appearance: https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d ... 014.2.14.1
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yeah, I wasn't getting that last DD, either. Three fairly easy ones then they throw that in. Tough break, it cost him a possible co-championship.

I got FJ and while it is still true, I bet if they used it today someone would say.
Spoiler
Who is
Perot?
Is the second word in the second line of the $800 tennis clue supposed to be "of" rather than "or"?

Thanks for getting this in, always enjoy your summer project.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:57 pm Is the second word in the second line of the $800 tennis clue supposed to be "of" rather than "or"?
Yes, it's fixed. Thanks.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Very similar FJ in Donna Vogel game 2: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2507
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1662

The most recent of Pannoni's posted games, July 10, 2002, Emilie Bruchon vs. Jeremy Proctor vs. Sean Scarry.

These last couple of games I've entered have featured a crawl during FJ (from the local station) "Listen to Radio Jeopardy weekday afternoons at 5:40 PM on 590 WVLK-AM." Anyone know what that was, or have it play on your local station?

A fairly typical game. There was a clue from Cheryl's trip to FBI headquarters in this game; I had another clue from that trip in my game, which would have taped a month before this one aired.

Plain country outline map alert: STUCK HERE IN "L" for $1000. Everyone guessed a European country that fit the category. No one got it right, so No Harm, No Foul.
It's the European country of a half-million souls outlined here
Spoiler
What is Luxembourg?
Clue of the game will be FIX THE MALAPROP for $400 (J!), a no-longer-accurate sport clue:
"The Minnesota Twins play their home games at the Metronome"
Spoiler
What is the Metrodome?
The category names in DJ were cute, and I'm glad the archive had the screencaps ready. It made it slightly tricky to enter these clues; once the links converted to html they all looked the same. I decided against including a representation of the symbol in the clue box, opting to have it just show up in the picture.

Jeremy misses DASH for $1600 on a be more specific, only to have his guess show up as the $2000 response. I don't know if DASH for $2000 is accurate any more either; I suspect not.

Good night all.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:36 am These last couple of games I've entered have featured a crawl during FJ (from the local station) "Listen to Radio Jeopardy weekday afternoons at 5:40 PM on 590 WVLK-AM." Anyone know what that was, or have it play on your local station?
Answered my own question. It was apparently a radio feature debuted in 1995 intended to hawk Columbia/TriStar releases on VHS.

From Billboard Magazine, August 26, 1995:

I'll ask again if this ran on anyone's local AM station. I was listening to a lot of local AM talk at that time but it didn't run anywhere I lived. Interesting that it was apparently still going 7 years later.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/17/88 is in with John Heacock, Carl Rush & Sherry Schwabacher: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5666

Their photos:
Spoiler

John appeared on Millionaire with Meredith in 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07dx7l5gfI8&t=10s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq2jhv5iRnk&t=85s

By email from another archivist he thinks John also went for 100K (missed it) on Trump Card in 1990.

ZOOLOGY was a little unusual as John opened play in the category by calling 2nd box $200, but $100 first box was revealed & played instead.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:45 amI'll ask again if this ran on anyone's local AM station. I was listening to a lot of local AM talk at that time but it didn't run anywhere I lived. Interesting that it was apparently still going 7 years later.
I don't remember a 90-second radio Jeopardy! but I have very clear memories of somehow finding the full 30-minute show on the radio dial. This was pre-Archive days, so perhaps 20 years ago. I think it was just that some radio station had an audio-only mirror of the television broadcast for a corresponding TV station, so it might not have been just J!, but also Wheel, news, sitcoms, everything. Sorry the details are so hazy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:44 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:45 amI'll ask again if this ran on anyone's local AM station. I was listening to a lot of local AM talk at that time but it didn't run anywhere I lived. Interesting that it was apparently still going 7 years later.
I don't remember a 90-second radio Jeopardy! but I have very clear memories of somehow finding the full 30-minute show on the radio dial. This was pre-Archive days, so perhaps 20 years ago. I think it was just that some radio station had an audio-only mirror of the television broadcast for a corresponding TV station, so it might not have been just J!, but also Wheel, news, sitcoms, everything. Sorry the details are so hazy.
Back before digital television, I could pick up programming from my local station that was Channel 6 due to some glitch in the airwaves. So if you had a Channel 6 in your area and it carried Jeopardy!, that was where you could hear it.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Yep! For me it was WCTV, Channel 6 in Tallahassee on 87.5-87.7 FM: covered a wide area from Panama City to Dothan & probably its far eastern boundary, Lake City. This was the station whose GM decided to run J! instead of broadcasting gubernatorial debates, & then he decided to cancel the show in spring of '89, trying to replace it with a game show (can't remember what) that he said would have higher ratings. Well, by the end of the summer, Mr. Carruthers was out the door & J! was returned in time for the start of season 6, where it remains in same time slot (after Wheel) 28 years later.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:01 pm Back before digital television, I could pick up programming from my local station that was Channel 6 due to some glitch in the airwaves.
It's not really "some glitch." Analog TV Channel 6 took up roughly 82-88 MHz, with the video centered on 83.25 MHz and the audio centered on 87.75 MHz. With the standard FM broadcast band starting at 88.1 MHz -- and a few low-power FM stations assigned to 87.9 MHz in areas without a TV Channel 6 -- some FM radios can tune as low as that 87.75 MHz frequency.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Glitch probably wasn't the right word. I knew there was a technical reason for it, I just didn't know how to explain it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have added 1/27/89 with Jonathan Saltzberg, Margaret McGeorge & George Roche, three new players after Brian Wangsgard retired: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5669

The photos:
Spoiler

Automobile Association of America was accepted without comment for this clue: PRESIDENTS' WHEELS $600: The 1st president to join this road service organization was Woodrow Wilson

Is that an older name, just as acceptable, the judges were asleep at the wheel? Or AAA is a completely different thing? I just did clue and response since that is what happened. If other action is necessary then let me know.

Yesterday I added this clue to the archive: PUCCINI OPERAS $200: "Tosca" was based on a play written for this great French actress of the late 1880s

Today I added this one: DRAMA $600: Author of "Cyrano de Bergerac", Edmond Rostand wrote at least 3 plays for this French actress

for another of those twice in one season occurrences
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How many other names would have been correct in Songs $200?

Apollo Creed
Adrian Balboa
Paulie
Clubber Lang (Was in first few minutes of IV)
Guy who trained Rocky after Apollo died
Rocky Balboa Jr.
Stu Nahan
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:16 pm How many other names would have been correct in Songs $200?

Apollo Creed
Adrian Balboa
Paulie
Clubber Lang (Was in first few minutes of IV)
Guy who trained Rocky after Apollo died
Rocky Balboa Jr.
Stu Nahan
Those names were *in* the films, but they weren't *featured* in those films. I'm gonna have to say no on that one, Jim.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How would you define featuring? The same as starring? I think you could make a case both films featured Apollo as he was a major part of both.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The clue in the 10/4/87 game at TENNIS $800 is not good.
Spoiler
The net poles are in different places depending on whether it's a singles or doubles match (at least in the Slams). In a singles match, the poles are inside the doubles sidelines so that the net only crosses three lines (the center line and the singles sidelines). Only when it's configured for a doubles match does it cross all five lines.

Of course, your neighborhood tennis court probably just uses the doubles positioning.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

I'm wondering about one of the Daily Doubles in the very first show:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=173

The clue is:

It's the first 4-letter word in "The Star Spangled Banner"

I thought the answer would be "dawn" but it is "what". Is it because "dawn" has a possessive apostrophe in the song and is therefore not a 4-letter word? "Dawn's" isn't a word is it?

Thanks for your help!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

JeuParti wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:18 am Is it because "dawn" has a possessive apostrophe in the song and is therefore not a 4-letter word?
Exactly that. It's no different than saying that "they're" is a 6-letter word, for example.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

JeuParti wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:18 am I'm wondering about one of the Daily Doubles in the very first show:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=173

The clue is:

It's the first 4-letter word in "The Star Spangled Banner"

I thought the answer would be "dawn" but it is "what". Is it because "dawn" has a possessive apostrophe in the song and is therefore not a 4-letter word? "Dawn's" isn't a word is it?

Thanks for your help!
Wait, it's not "José"?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)