Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by boson »

RandyG wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 am
Woof wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:12 am
econgator wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 am
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:46 am
econgator wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:19 am And why in the world would I have any reason to know who the president of the DRC is/was?
Did you hack into Econ's account, TPH?
It does seems that 91% of the people agree with me, though. :)
Let me see. Laurent Kabila was the controversial President of the DRC who overthrew their longtime strongman Mobuto Sese Seko. After he was assassinated by his own bodyguard, his son Joseph took over and has been President for the last 17 years. Every time DRC is in the news (as it is from time to time being one of Africa's biggest and most important countries) his name is mentioned. I was surprised that it played so hard.
I knew Kabila, but that's all. I suppose I could have taken a wild guess...... Mark Kabila?
I was close to the last name: "Kabibo" was my guess, but had no clue on the first name - said David.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I need to stop doing these matches first thing in the morning. I read the first question on Friday's quiz wrong and answered "Thebes" instead of "Seven Against Thebes". That turned what would have been a 7-6 win into a 6-5 loss. :oops:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

georgespelvin wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:47 am I need to stop doing these matches first thing in the morning. I read the first question on Friday's quiz wrong and answered "Thebes" instead of "Seven Against Thebes". That turned what would have been a 7-6 win into a 6-5 loss. :oops:
I did worse ... I made my first run through the questions, knew the answer was sherry, and then later on when I put my answers in, just automatically typed "port" for some reason. Total brain fart. Fortunately, it didn't cost me my match.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I loved, loved, loved yesterday's set of questions, and was happy to get a 4(4)-0(1) win...but was then surprised to see that every single one had a league wide get rate that was under 50%! I would have expected Seven Against Thebes to play tough, but not 20% tough. I was also surprised by the low get rate on sherry, as that is usually a bad category for me. The other two that I got were fugue (played about as I would expect) and Nasser (that one was an educated guess). I had never heard of Band Aid, so I can't judge that one. And I regretfully guessed "polo" on the boxing question...my kickboxing instructor would kill me for missing that one!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:05 am And I regretfully guessed "polo" on the boxing question...my kickboxing instructor would kill me for missing that one!
That is the one that shocked me most. I guess "Marquess of Queensbury" is not as well-known as I thought.
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

I've lost four matches in a row despite getting exactly 3 right each of the last five days. I now lead my division in CAA, which means my chances of getting promoted are nil.
boson wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:05 pm I was close to the last name: "Kabibo" was my guess, but had no clue on the first name - said David.
As a physicist, you were probably thinking of Cabibbo.
Hoping for a third lap
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yesterday was about as wheelhouse as it gets for me (sorry, Reddpen). After two seasons of flirting with relegation, I now find myself atop the Rundle riding a 12-match unbeaten streak. The crazy thing is that my Q% is right at my career average and my DE is a bit worse than my average. In the past, someone has posted luckiness rankings. I suspect that I'd be close to the top this season. I also can't help wondering if the recent Prelims kerfuffle has perhaps reduced the amount of Googling in certain quarters... :twisted:
Tabby
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tabby »

econgator wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:12 am
StevenH wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:05 am And I regretfully guessed "polo" on the boxing question...my kickboxing instructor would kill me for missing that one!
That is the one that shocked me most. I guess "Marquess of Queensbury" is not as well-known as I thought.
I was too. As a female, I figured if I knew it immediately, so would everyone, but neither my husband or son knew it. So, the thing that's bugging me, is where did I hear it that it has stuck with me? And, I didn't know the Marquess personally. :D
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Sadly, Seven of Thebes was ruled incorrect, but I closed the week with a forfeit win and 2 correct answers: fugue and sherry
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

My unbeaten streak reached 12 matches on Friday, in a 2(2)-0(0) win, to improve my record to 12-3-4 on the season and staying at #3 in my division. I went back and forth between port and sherry...and settled on sherry, which was a good guess. Band Aid was an easy one for me. I'm sort of stunned that as we head down the home stretch, I'm in a position to possibly move up a level in LL, which would be a short stay given that I still average less than 2 questions correct per day. There's still time for things to fall apart.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:27 amYesterday was about as wheelhouse as it gets for me (sorry, Reddpen). After two seasons of flirting with relegation, I now find myself atop the Rundle riding a 12-match unbeaten streak. The crazy thing is that my Q% is right at my career average and my DE is a bit worse than my average. In the past, someone has posted luckiness rankings. I suspect that I'd be close to the top this season. I also can't help wondering if the recent Prelims kerfuffle has perhaps reduced the amount of Googling in certain quarters... :twisted:
Not to worry. I probably should have pulled sherry, having once acquired a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream from a Snowbird hotel room courtesy of a departing guest, but no way was I gonna get Band Aid. I tried Artists Against Hunger, hoping for a Thorstenian theme with Seven Against Thebes--and I have no idea where I pulled that from. I figured Yogi Berra made the Queen of Marksbury famous, but perhaps not.

As for MD 18, I'm still inordinately pleased about--in trying to think of an Australian writer not named Colleen McCullough--pulling Robert Hughes's name off the bookshelf where The Fatal Shore sat for years. For Kabila the closest I got was Charles Kibebe. Glad I finally gave up on picaresque because that was never coming. Thought about trying for a BWA with bildungsbroman, but left out the second b just in case.

Till I ran into the buzzsaw called Woof, I was within three points of first place with seven matches remaining, which never happens to me in A rundles. Also the top 10 in A Cont were within three points of each other--now it's just the top nine. Keep feasting on boardies and all others--your schedule looks favorable till the final two days. Congrats on a win well deserved, and best of luck the rest of the way.
In and out of the pool four times
clprez

Post by clprez »

This has got to be my worst ever defensive season. My opponents have tied me or beat me with less questions answered too many times, and I don't think I've done the reverse at all. My opponent had a .114 in classical music so I gave him a 3 on the fugue question and of course he got it. The match ended up in a 4(3)-4(2) tie.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I'm having my worst defensive season ever. I'm in the relegation zone despite having 10 consecutive days of at least 4 correct answers (I guess that's what they call "A rundle problems").

I'm tied for 12th of 26 in my rundle when it comes to TCA, but my actual record is 2-12-5 for 25th place.

In addition to my poor defense, there are 7 times so far this season that my opponents have scored a 9(6).

The nice thing is that if I get relegated to B, then finishing high in my rundle will become a realistic goal again. I'll never have a realistic shot at winning an A rundle (I've finished between 11th and 19th place every previous time I've been in an A rundle).
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

StevenH wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:05 am I would have expected Seven Against Thebes to play tough, but not 20% tough.
Although I messed up this question by misreading it, the fact that the question stated that "Polynices and (exactly) six others comprised a group of champions who attacked a rival city of Argos" gave away the answer. Polynices and exactly six others? Aha, seven against Thebes.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I'm a little surprised Marquess of Queensberry played as difficult as it did. Maybe I'm the only LLama who watches "Mike Tyson Mysteries" on Adult Swim, in which the ghost of the Marquess of Queensberry (voiced by Jim Rash) is a character. Or at least the only one who's willing to admit it publicly.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I successfully thwarted getting 9(6) on Friday by answering "Six against Thebes," thereby also confirming why math is my worst category.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

The "covfefe" question proves that Thorsten does have a sense of humor. Now we know that he doesn't write all the questions before the season starts.
I ended my four-game losing streak yesterday, and get to play quarterrican for the seventh time today. I haven't faced anyone else more than six times.
Hoping for a third lap
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

sarisson wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am The "covfefe" question proves that Thorsten does have a sense of humor.
I managed a strange 6(5)-6(4) tie thanks to my opponent missing "covfefe" (we both missed lumpia). At least I assigned that question one point rather than zero or I would have lost! I assigned "Jump" the zero.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

sarisson wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am The "covfefe" question proves that Thorsten does have a sense of humor. Now we know that he doesn't write all the questions before the season starts.
I ended my four-game losing streak yesterday, and get to play quarterrican for the seventh time today. I haven't faced anyone else more than six times.
Likewise! Good luck!

I only got The Tin Drum because it came up on ProtoBowl a couple different times last week, so all credit to the LearnedLeague message boards for another great resource!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:43 am
sarisson wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am The "covfefe" question proves that Thorsten does have a sense of humor.
I managed a strange 6(5)-6(4) tie thanks to my opponent missing "covfefe" (we both missed lumpia). At least I assigned that question one point rather than zero or I would have lost! I assigned "Jump" the zero.
I ended up in a strange 9(6)-9(5) tie for the same reason. Perhaps my opponent misspelled it? I can't otherwise imagine how an A Rundler would miss that one.