Thursday, March 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

State Nicknames
Its nickname is said to come from a line in an 1899 speech that followed "Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me."
Spoiler
What is Missouri?
Cathy Guiles: $7,000+$6,201=$13,201...now a 2-day champion with $27,801
Nick Bulum: $6,600+$2,001=$8,601
Nancy Nakayama: $4,300+$1,901=$6,201
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

This was a pretty tough board; my own Coryat today was 3.3 standard deviations below my mean Coryat for the season.

I was a fan of all of the wagers tonight in Final Jeopardy!; not quite so much on the Daily Doubles, but I'll live. :)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:This was a pretty tough board; my own Coryat today was 3.3 standard deviations below my mean Coryat for the season.

I was a fan of all of the wagers tonight in Final Jeopardy!; not quite so much on the Daily Doubles, but I'll live. :)

LOVED that "Chopped!" was mentioned in the HUNGER GAMES category.

Guessed "New Mexico" for FJ!, which tells me how much I know about US State nickname origins.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:This was a pretty tough board; my own Coryat today was 3.3 standard deviations below my mean Coryat for the season.
I don't keep track, but I'd bet that mine would be in that area.

Surprised that FJ was a triple-get. No idea how you get to Missouri from the clue. My answer was "uhhhhhh......"

Regardless, congrats, Cathy!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

So, not the best played match. Everyone should have probably agreed to just proceed to FJ about halfway through the DJ round. Perhaps with the dead time they could have sat around and had margaritas. I think for episodes that go south like this, they should just stop things, have everyone sit around with Alex and a stiff drink, and then talk for a few minutes. Then go to FJ.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

You know a game is going badly when Alex feels compelled to remark on it.

State nicknames are a weakness of mine and I am unfamiliar with that speech, so I didn't get FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well, that was...err...it, um...hm. That was an episode of J!. Yup. :oops:

FJ had me staring at the screen in confusion for 28 seconds before something in the back of my head said "err...words, action...forget eloquent words, show me? Missouri?" I'll take it.

FINALLY a multi-day champ! Congrats Cathy!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I am unfamiliar with that speech. But (sort of) like xxaaaxx, I got to "forget words, show me" which led me to Missouri. But I got there in about 2 seconds.

And for once, all three FJ! wagers were good.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alamble

Post by alamble »

DJ! was a total nightmare. Felt bad for all three contestants, especially in the Historians cat. Ambrose probably would have been a get if they'd made reference to Band of Brothers.

Instaget FJ, as it should be since I was born and raised in Kansas City. Though there are a couple of different explanations for the nickname Show-Me State, the speech referenced, attributed to Rep. Willard Vandiver, is the widely accepted origin.

4/4 on FJ! this week. Dare I hope to wrap up a perfect week on my birthday?
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

Got FJ because I pretty much had it in my mind that the answer would be Missouri. idk why, probably because Show Me is just an unusual nickname in comparison to some others. I was cycling through other states in my mind but for whatever reason was only thinking of state mottos. So I just stuck with Missouri. And yeah, the historians category was brutal.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

For some reason the quote in the FJ clue actually led me to the "show me state"...unfortunately I couldn't remember what state had that nickname! Hawaii was the one that came to mind first, so I went with it even though I thought that the 1899 date might eliminate it as a possible correct response.
Last edited by StevenH on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:Surprised that FJ was a triple-get. No idea how you get to Missouri from the clue. My answer was "uhhhhhh......"
Regardless, congrats, Cathy!
Alex kind of explained it... "Enough talk! Show me!" Still, I agree that the triple get was surprising. I expect them on "instagets" but not so much on suss-outs. Still and all, I thought it was a great clue, but maybe because I was able to get there after a few seconds of musing.
Gritty win, Cathy, those boards were nasty!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone notice they sounded the time's-up on the J! round even though Alex never said LTaM? That seemed really abrupt to me.

Movies was going so well for me. 4/5 then they throw that ultra obscure Shakespeare one.

Food trucks are a thing? This I honestly did not know. That clue seemed kinda opaque.

I, too, was completely lost as usual on FJ! No idea how you'd tease out "show me" from that. And then you have "1899" as a red herring the size of a blue whale, what with Missouri gaining statehood in, ya know, a good SEVENTY EIGHT years prior.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

0/5 by the players in a category doesn't happen much, which IIRC it happened with Historians.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

legendneverdies wrote:0/5 by the players in a category doesn't happen much, which IIRC it happened with Historians.
Didn't we have another one just a couple weeks ago?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

FJ only partly made up for the dreadful writing in the DJ round. There was a good reason they were all standing around staring. And Euboea to get you to realize they're talking about Greece?!?!? (It actually is the second biggest island in Greece, but I don't think it's nearly as well known as many others.)

And yes, TPH, there wasn't even a LTaM. And yes, food trucks are a thing. I'm getting a lobster roll from one tomorrow. Been waiting all week to do so.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Nancy, if you're in third place in a category you obviously don't know well (and neither do the other contestants, fortunately for you), and there is another category left on the board, why did you not switch?

trash pickup: marionettes, 3-hour marathon, Judge Roy Bean, fractional distillation, Heroditus (my only historian pickup and I would've switched immediately), Athens and Kampala.

Another instaget final.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote:And yes, food trucks are a thing.
I knew such a thing existed, but I didn't know they were called "food trucks". I've seen food sold out of trucks/trailers millions of times, yet never knew they had a de facto name. Just like aglets or at signs — you see them all the time, but never really think of them having a singular name.