Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by triviawayne »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:51 pm
immaf wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:06 pm Of my 6 in-person interviews, 2 were in the postcard era. In the on-line era, every single time I think I got a 35 or better on the test, I have been asked to an in-person interview. That might be coincidence, or there may be something to the theory that the lottery is weighted towards people who have had in-person interviews before?
It could also be that the lottery is weighted toward women. My sense is that far more men take the test than women. Given that the ratio among contestants is roughly 50/50, they would need to favor women at the audition selection level, the contestant selection level, or both. (This also assumes, of course, that the pass rates for men and women are roughly the same. I have no reason to believe they are not.)
or because it's a random drawing, they rescue more women from the pool they get than they do men
Total game show career losings = $171,522
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

immaf wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:06 pm Of my 6 in-person interviews, 2 were in the postcard era. In the on-line era, every single time I think I got a 35 or better on the test, I have been asked to an in-person interview. That might be coincidence, or there may be something to the theory that the lottery is weighted towards people who have had in-person interviews before?
It could also be that the lottery is weighted toward women. My sense is that far more men take the test than women. Given that the ratio among contestants is roughly 50/50, they would need to favor women at the audition selection level, the contestant selection level, or both. (This also assumes, of course, that the pass rates for men and women are roughly the same. I have no reason to believe they are not.)
Reports from auditions (and I think it's born out by the ones I've attended) usually say that there are considerably more men than women in attendance. So if the lottery is weighted at all, I doubt that it's done along gender lines. Nor am I convinced that the lottery is weighted in favor of people who have had auditions before. Given my circumstances, I've wondered about that, but it's entirely possible that I've simply been extraordinarily lucky.

The plain fact is that we don't KNOW, and it is fruitless to speculate.
Teems with quiet fun.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:31 am
or because it's a random drawing, they rescue more women from the pool they get than they do men
Right. By "audition selection level," I meant the choosing of auditioners from those who passed the test, and by "contestant selection level," I meant the choosing of contestants from those who have auditioned.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:25 pm Um, I can confirm that Jeopardy audition invites are going out for July in NYC ;)
If I'm from boston and I haven't heard back by now, am I to assume I didn't make it :(?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Wheatley wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:59 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:25 pm Um, I can confirm that Jeopardy audition invites are going out for July in NYC ;)
If I'm from boston and I haven't heard back by now, am I to assume I didn't make it :(?
No, you shouldn't assume that! Boston was on the list of audition cities
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:52 am
No, you shouldn't assume that! Boston was on the list of audition cities
They travel around and sometimes the city can seem quite random. There are other times when you know where they're going because of the route they are taking. With NYC auditions coming up, they MIGHT also hit Boston, Baltimore and DC...but then again, they might not. They could be going to NYC for any reason other than auditions, and figure while there, do auditions. In that case, they will likely (not not necessarily) get to the others at a later time.

When the Boston auditions come, you'll probably find out about it here, if you don't find out first in your email. Just be sure to check your spambox daily for that email, it often ends up in there.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:50 am
When the Boston auditions come, you'll probably find out about it here, if you don't find out first in your email. Just be sure to check your spambox daily for that email, it often ends up in there.
Create an email handling rule to mark safe or important anything from @spe.sony.com or subject line: Jeopardy
Prasutagus

Post by Prasutagus »

raccoonleaf wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:13 pm Looks like May wasn't just a rumor.

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestant/

EDIT: You get a chance to choose your cities again.

Houston
Austin
Seattle
Vancouver
Chicago
Omaha
D.C.
Baltimore
Boston
New York
Toronto
Denver
Charlotte, NC
Pittsburg
Tampa
Los Angeles

Looks like the cities are grouped by geographic region, but there's no real rhyme or reason to the order. That makes me think they're going to Texas next, then the Pacific NW, then the Midwest... etc.
Apparently these were not listed in the order auditions will take place, considering that auditions are being held in NYC next month.
Prizes
Just Started Her First Lap in the Jeopardy! Pool!

Post by Prizes »

immaf wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:00 am Reports from auditions (and I think it's born out by the ones I've attended) usually say that there are considerably more men than women in attendance.
Granted, anecdotal, but from the audition I had last month in NYC, maybe 25-33% had a prior audition in a group of 19, with one eligible for the TT. Of those 19, 10, including myself, were women, which was a strangely enough, slightly unnerving given the polar opposite from what I had read about/seen in many auditions over the years. From there, participants had a diverse age range, most folks in their 30s/40s, with some others have quite a bit more life experience. Believe I was the youngest there, at 24.

My guess is that the audition lottery itself has no weight, but the selection process does for who gets on the show. The curious case, in my eyes, with respect to sex demographics, is if the number of women is determinant upon more than just the audition, in a macro sense of the overall pool: Do Maggie and crew need more women, hypothetically for upcoming tapings? If so, will more women be picked from a specific audition to play with Alex because of that?
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Prizes wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:19 pm
immaf wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:00 am Reports from auditions (and I think it's born out by the ones I've attended) usually say that there are considerably more men than women in attendance.
Granted, anecdotal, but from the audition I had last month in NYC, maybe 25-33% had a prior audition in a group of 19, with one eligible for the TT. Of those 19, 10, including myself, were women, which was a strangely enough, slightly unnerving given the polar opposite from what I had read about/seen in many auditions over the years. From there, participants had a diverse age range, most folks in their 30s/40s, with some others have quite a bit more life experience. Believe I was the youngest there, at 24.

My guess is that the audition lottery itself has no weight, but the selection process does for who gets on the show. The curious case, in my eyes, with respect to sex demographics, is if the number of women is determinant upon more than just the audition, in a macro sense of the overall pool: Do Maggie and crew need more women, hypothetically for upcoming tapings? If so, will more women be picked from a specific audition to play with Alex because of that?
Based on the numbers you gave, I don't think we were in the same NYC group (I was the sunday group, and there was more than 1 teacher, and even less men, I think only 6 out of about 20), which means there were multiple heavily-female NYC groups. I would have to think that can't be random. Sounds like they are shopping for more women.
Golf

Post by Golf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:51 pm It could also be that the lottery is weighted toward women. My sense is that far more men take the test than women. Given that the ratio among contestants is roughly 50/50, they would need to favor women at the audition selection level, the contestant selection level, or both. (This also assumes, of course, that the pass rates for men and women are roughly the same. I have no reason to believe they are not.)
A couple of us ran some pretty good numbers a few months back. The short version is more men take the test, more men pass the test, more men are called to auditions, yet the on air contestants are 50/50. A woman making it to an audition has approximately twice as good a chance of getting the call than a man. There's no reason for the lottery to be weighted since the audition is already severely weighted.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Golf wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:41 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:51 pm It could also be that the lottery is weighted toward women. My sense is that far more men take the test than women. Given that the ratio among contestants is roughly 50/50, they would need to favor women at the audition selection level, the contestant selection level, or both. (This also assumes, of course, that the pass rates for men and women are roughly the same. I have no reason to believe they are not.)
A couple of us ran some pretty good numbers a few months back. The short version is more men take the test, more men pass the test, more men are called to auditions, yet the on air contestants are 50/50. A woman making it to an audition has approximately twice as good a chance of getting the call than a man. There's no reason for the lottery to be weighted since the audition is already severely weighted.
Did you just read the two posts above? The last two NYC auditioners said there were more women than men at the audition.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am
Golf wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:41 am
Did you just read the two posts above? The last two NYC auditioners said there were more women than men at the audition.
Could be an anomaly, and more women are taking the test these days.

If the show were really not doing a random drawing, I would think they'd ask more demographic information at sign up.
Golf

Post by Golf »

boson wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am Did you just read the two posts above? The last two NYC auditioners said there were more women than men at the audition.
I did. Two auditions as opposed to hundreds discussed over the years. Forgive me if I ignore a meaningless sample size. Now, if this were to continue over most auditions over the next year or two, then we'll have something to discuss.

If anybody cares, the numbers discussed start near the end of page 78 in this thread and continue into page 79.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:23 am
boson wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am Did you just read the two posts above? The last two NYC auditioners said there were more women than men at the audition.
I did. Two auditions as opposed to hundreds discussed over the years. Forgive me if I ignore a meaningless sample size. Now, if this were to continue over most auditions over the next year or two, then we'll have something to discuss.

If anybody cares, the numbers discussed start near the end of page 78 in this thread and continue into page 79.
What is this world coming to...I agree with Golf??????
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

A propos, are there any stats on gender / ethnicity for people who have made it on to the show in the Alex Trebek era? That would be interesting data
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

The problem with this argument is that Jeopardy has changed the audition and test mechanisms several times recently. There is no reason why who gets invited to audition isn't changed as well. Rather than thinking these most recent auditions are a big outlying statistical blip (given previous estimated numbers, a very unlikely result) , the simplest explanation is the J! is inviting approximately the same number of women as men to audition.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

boson wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:24 pm

The problem with this argument is that Jeopardy has changed the audition and test mechanisms several times recently. There is no reason why who gets invited to audition isn't changed as well. Rather than thinking these most recent auditions are a big outlying statistical blip (given previous estimated numbers, a very unlikely result) , the simplest explanation is the J! is inviting approximately the same number of women as men to audition.
I auditioned exactly one year ago today, and I did not notice a disparity in gender in my session. 50/50 mix.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

The simplest explanation is an anomaly, waiting to see if the trend continues would constitute a change in practice.
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:41 pm

I auditioned exactly one year ago today, and I did not notice a disparity in gender in my session. 50/50 mix.
I have auditioned several times, most recently this past March in Chicago. Women were about 30% of my group. I have never been at an audition with equal numbers of men and women. I can't say if there is an attempt to have equal numbers in total at each audition site. Anecdotally and in my experience, men still outnumber women.