FJs for the 6/5/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/5/17 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 pm

It traverses hundreds of bridges, the longest stretching 2 miles across the Amur River
52%
This man received 2 honorary Oscars in his career, & the actor who played him on film received a 1992 nomination for the role
36%
Bearing Roman numeral I, he subdued Wales & was called the "English Justinian" for his legal reforms
32%
Credited with saving thousands of lives before his disappearance, in 2016 he was officially declared dead by Sweden
45%
The brightest star in Scorpius is named this, meaning “rival” of the god equivalent to Mars
54%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
4%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
7%
AWARDS & HONORS $1000: Canada's equivalent of the Grammy Awards, they're named after the chief Roman goddess
76%
BUSINESS NAMES $1000: The name of this Warren Buffett conglomerate goes back to 2 Massachusetts textile companies that merged in 1955
82%
PREQUELS & SEQUELS $2000: "Be Cool" is this author's sequel to "Get Shorty"
48%
Orient Express was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
15%
Henry was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
12%
Richard was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
10%
Schindler was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
27%
"star in Scorpius" was the more helpful part for me solving the Friday FJ! clue.
7%
"rival of the god equivalent to Mars" was the more helpful part for me solving the Friday FJ! clue.
48%

Total votes: 122

Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 6/5/17 week

Post by Fleeboy »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:30 pm
Somehow I spent a lot of time Monday trying to think of a waterway, despite the fact that a waterway wouldn't stretch across a river. Unfortunately, thinking of the Suez Canal got me stuck in that area once I came to my senses. I think I would have come up with the Trans-Siberian railway if I had started out on the right track (ha!).
I was similarly sidetracked (as it were) and, like MarkBarrett, was thinking of the Ganges. The TSR finally came to mind, but too late to write it down.

Missing the Charlie Chaplin FJ was a facepalm moment. The climax of the 1992 film (which I've seen at least twice in the last year) is the 1972 Oscars ceremony.
Last edited by Fleeboy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I could not have told you what constellation Antares is in or that it's the brightest star of Scorpius, but I have long known the etymology of 'Antares'. So, the etymology was the more helpful part of the clue, but I didn't have to work it out.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

DBear wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:31 pm :D :D :( Rush fans should know what the Junos are.
Priests of the Temples of Syrinx?

Charlie Chaplin saved me from the box of shame. Interesting that we had a week where all five FJs were sole solves. I doubt that happens often.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Knew Thursday's was Raoul W[something] - thought "Walsh" but knew that didn't sound right. Spielberg needs to make a movie about him, too!

No idea on Friday - "rival" wasn't going to get me there in a month of Sundays.

And I'm still a bit surprised that Edward I hasn't done better in polling, but in fairness, recognize that recently visiting several castles he built in Wales may have helped immeasurably. :geek:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For the king, I figured Henry and Edward were the chief contenders. I associated Edward only with fighting the Scots, but I decided Henry I wasn't famous enough for an FJ answer.

I am pretty sure now that Antares is the star outside this house that I'd been wondering about.
I'm smart and I want respect.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:40 am :( :( :( :( :mrgreen:

Avoided the golden sombrero!

Orient Express Monday; realized it was probably TSR around the 28-second mark but didn't have time to change my response
WAGged John Wayne Tuesday; forgot all about Chaplin
James I Wednesday
Schindler Thursday
actually you avoided the platinum sombrero...the golden sombrero is 4 strike outs in a game...i did achieve the golden sombrero this week...too bad there weren't 6 episodes of jeopardy this week...was hoping to go 0-6 and and get the sam horn (last person to strike out 6 times in one game)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Brightest star in Scorpius got me the right answer, and I almost had Chaplin but thought of it with just a second of so to go in the think music.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(

Bleah. Guessed Arcturus for the star and Alfred for the king. No idea on Chaplin.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Orient Express
blanked
Henry
Whew!
Got stuck on rival as "nemesis," but I might have headed right if I hadn't blanked on Ares...
Bad week for gods...I also hesitated on Juno or Hera...and was confused on Prometheus, but because it was a DD I pulled the trigger...
Gee, next week can't start soon enough...(I know, for most of you it already has... ;) )
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: