Monday, June 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Cross the Strait of Bonifacio & you go between the 2nd- & 4th-largest Mediterranean islands & between these 2 countries

Tucker Dunn: 8200-4201=3999 (2x = $27,600)
Liz Kuster: 8400-8001=399
Janna Seals: 6200-6198=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
France & Italy (Tucker – Corsica & Sardinia) (Liz – Italy & Greece) (Janna – Italy & Greece)

Daily Doubles
Janna: 4000-2000
Janna: 5200+1200
Janna: 6000-1000

Coryats
Tucker: 8200
Liz: 8400
Janna: 9600

Combined: 26,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Gilligan’s Island clue had me unable to resist a little showing off and I added the movie star’s last name.

I know I’ve read something about it (some kind of J! pet peeve perhaps) about contestants who say “Cooba” and Tucker did that for the Puig clue.

My Yasiel Puig story:
Spoiler
I have a friend who drives cab and many times over the years he has picked up a ball player or team employee from a hotel and taken them to AT&T Park (or even better for his wallet - Oakland). Earlier this season and aware that LA was in town I answered my phone, "Dodger dugout" when I saw on the i.d. that my friend was calling. I had thought it was possible he was calling to tell me had taken someone to the ballpark.

The surprise was on me as he still had Yasiel in the cab and I got to say hello to #66. My friend kept me on the line and I got to hear some of the conservation during the short ride. Puig's English is not as poor as one might be led to believe when he sometimes speaks through a translator. Puig gave my friend $25 for a $9 or so ride and also posed for a picture at the ballpark, so he's not always the bad guy his reputation might have one think.
I joined Liz and Janna for missing the FJ! clue with 50% of the countries correct. When Alex said Tucker had the correct islands it was little consolation that I then knew the two countries.

Two-part Mediterranean responses do not have my name written on them and it’s almost always going to be a guessing game that more often than not I fail.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Up and down game. Tucker seems to be getting to the right subset of answers, but ending with wrong ones. Responses of Volcanic rock, Menelaus etc., I remember.

Might have gotten to Lit Mashup DD with little more time. I don't pause on DDs..so when a contestant gives a quick response, I am unsure if I would have got it.

How difficult is the Rocks and Minerals DD?

I only focused on Tenderloin blah blah for city clue and ended with NYC :(

I got to FJ and unlike Alex - didn't think this was THAT difficult. The champ is lucky to end up with win. He even knew the islands..that would have hurt big time if he lost.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
BobF

Post by BobF »

I see no reason for Janna to bet anything other than $2201 (enough to beat Liz's DJ! score by $1 and enough to tie Tucker's total if he makes the proper bet and misses). Another in a line of recent bad FJ! bets.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

That FJ really needed some tighter phrasing. I got the islands. I assume that will be a poll choice.

ETA: It appears there should be an ampersand between "islands" & "between". That would have helped me to the correct answer, since I knew 1 was French and 1 Spanish. My own fault for not just watching the show. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:24 pm That FJ really needed some tighter phrasing. I got the islands. I assume that will be a poll choice.

ETA: It appears there should be an ampersand between "islands" & "between". That would have helped me to the correct answer, since I knew 1 was French and 1 Spanish. My own fault for not just watching the show. :)
TheFJguy messed it up, so you can check the weekly poll box since you think you would have had it.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Bonifacio sounded Italian, so then I flipped a coin between France and Greece and it landed correctly. I actually weighted the coin slightly towards France because I thought maybe there was some Mediterranean Napoleon trivia in there that I was supposed to know.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I got the islands right, but was confused by the wording of the clue, trying to guess whether the islands would've been more considered between Italy and Algeria or Italy and Tunisia. Went with Algeria, but it turns out I read the clue wrong, anyway (I thought they wanted to know which two countries those islands fell between). Just wrong in a different way :oops:.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought the FJ answer obvious, but I was surprised that Corsica was 4th in size, not 3rd. I would have never guessed it was smaller than Cyprus.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Tuft of hair = wisp? NHOI.

I thought the blood vessel things were "stint"s not "stent"s.

0/5 in the Character Mashups. NHO any of the suggested characters.

Also, no recognition at all in Districts. WLT Alaska at $200?

WLT Labor Day at $400?

"Helas" didn't sound like any tragic word to me at all. "Sounds like" is always such a tenuous connection IMO.

Lach Trash: allegro

No guess on FJ!
Golf

Post by Golf »

Stay clam, stay clam, stay clam.

Janna had a good knowledge base but just did not know what she was doing. When she hit the first DD it was obvious by her reaction that she had not prepared for that possibility and had no idea how to take advantage. And then she didn't think about using the extra time trying to ration out a valid answer. Just blurted out the first thing that came to mind. A sad waste on all three DD's.

But the champ knew the perfect wager to make on FJ and it won him a game that many others would have lost. Like Janna did.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

BobF wrote: I see no reason for Janna to bet anything other than $2201 (enough to beat Liz's DJ! score by $1 and enough to tie Tucker's total if he makes the proper bet and misses). Another in a line of recent bad FJ! bets.
I'd have bet $2200 or maybe even $2199. I think it's more likely for Tucker to make the proper bet, then for Liz to wager zero.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anybody else get the Bordeaux = claret clue from watching Fawlty Towers over 30 years ago?
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:24 pm ETA: It appears there should be an ampersand between "islands" & "between". That would have helped me to the correct answer, since I knew 1 was French and 1 Spanish.
No, neither is Spanish. You might be thinking of Majorca, the 7th-largest Mediterranean island.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since her name came up, I can't resist. From an article by Jonathan Goldsmith, Dos Equis' Most Interesting Man in the World:

I had been hungry, too. I had a lovely dalliance with one of Groucho Marx’s wives. And the wives of two congressmen (both Republican). I broke the bed of Henry Fonda’s mistress. The most beautiful woman of them all? Tina Louise. She was Ginger, the stranded movie starlet on Gilligan’s Island, the object of millions of men’s fantasies. We’d met at the Actor’s Studio. She had such stamina I was afraid I would have a heart attack. I even thought about my obituary: Unknown actor found dead at young age. Surely I’d be mentioned by name this time, though.

The rest of the article is a hoot as well: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ama-215215
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:44 pm Anybody else get the Bordeaux = claret clue from watching Fawlty Towers over 30 years ago?
Yes!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

BAD WAGER ALERT :idea:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Mathew5000 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:45 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:24 pm ETA: It appears there should be an ampersand between "islands" & "between". That would have helped me to the correct answer, since I knew 1 was French and 1 Spanish.
No, neither is Spanish. You might be thinking of Majorca, the 7th-largest Mediterranean island.
D'oh!