Monday, June 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Fleeboy »

BobF wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:12 am
Also, did anybody else here the one contestant say "Affirm" instead of "Affirmed"? I thought for sure they'd neg her on that.
+1
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:01 pm WLT Alaska at $200?
Largest state in area (therefore the only one that could have 571,000 square miles) and among the smallest in population so it has one congressional district.

Also, did anybody else here the one contestant say "Affirm" instead of "Affirmed"? I thought for sure they'd neg her on that.
I heard Affirmed.

And it would be odd/unlikely for a lawyer to say "affirm" because appellate court decisions are always in past tense: affirmed, reversed or remanded, e.g.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My local station joined late due to the NBA Finals and I only got to see Final Jeopardy. I was surprised that was a triple stumper.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BobF wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:08 pm I see no reason for Janna to bet anything other than $2201 (enough to beat Liz's DJ! score by $1 and enough to tie Tucker's total if he makes the proper bet and misses). Another in a line of recent bad FJ! bets.
I would say Janna should bet $2200, because that beats Tucker by $1 if he wagers properly (he did) and misses (ditto). I can't imagine Janna needs to beet Liz's $8400; it's hard to imagine Liz betting zero on a standard category.

So Janna's wager of $6198 is perfect if the goal is to throw away your best chance of a win, so there's that... You're right; it is very discouraging to keep seeing people do this when you could do better by adding 15 minutes of studying FJ Wagering 101 to your prep to be on the show.

I got Lach Trash on bracket creep, lake, allegro, and Agamemnon. That's good for $4,000 from the imaginary fourth podium. Combined with my sole get FJ, that's a win today with no signaling device in my hand. Truly not a very impressive showing by these three.

I wasn't sure about this FJ clue but something told me they were referencing Corsica and Sardinia, which I knew were French and Italian territory. Good thing they didn't ask which was which.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:19 am
BobF wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:08 pm I see no reason for Janna to bet anything other than $2201 (enough to beat Liz's DJ! score by $1 and enough to tie Tucker's total if he makes the proper bet and misses). Another in a line of recent bad FJ! bets.
I would say Janna should bet $2200, because that beats Tucker by $1 if he wagers properly (he did) and misses (ditto). I can't imagine Janna needs to beet Liz's $8400; it's hard to imagine Liz betting zero on a standard category.

So Janna's wager of $6198 is perfect if the goal is to throw away your best chance of a win, so there's that... You're right; it is very discouraging to keep seeing people do this when you could do better by adding 15 minutes of studying FJ Wagering 101 to your prep to be on the show.

I got Lach Trash on bracket creep, lake, allegro, and Agamemnon. That's good for $4,000 from the imaginary fourth podium. Combined with my sole get FJ, that's a win today with no signaling device in my hand. Truly not a very impressive showing by these three.

I wasn't sure about this FJ clue but something told me they were referencing Corsica and Sardinia, which I knew were French and Italian territory. Good thing they didn't ask which was which.
But someone help me. I found it hard to believe those two are the 2nd and 4th largest islands in the Mediterranean. I figured Sicily, Cyprus and Crete (and possibly Malta) are all larger.
BobF

Post by BobF »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:21 am
But someone help me. I found it hard to believe those two are the 2nd and 4th largest islands in the Mediterranean. I figured Sicily, Cyprus and Crete (and possibly Malta) are all larger.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... an#By_area

There's a huge drop off after the top 2 and another one after the top 5.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:21 am
Sardinia and Corsica are each far larger than Malta. In fact, it turns out that quite a few places I never heard of outrank Malta: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... iterranean

From that same list - Sardinia is actually close to Sicily in size. Cyprus, Corsica, and Crete (in that order) are all pretty close together, but well behind Sicily and Sardinia.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:23 pm The Gilligan’s Island clue had me unable to resist a little showing off and I added the movie star’s last name.
Feel free to show off if you wish. We'll grant you a little leeway.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:44 pm Anybody else get the Bordeaux = claret clue from watching Fawlty Towers over 30 years ago?
"They don't know a Bordeaux from a claret."
"A Bordeaux is a claret."
"Well, yes, WE know that...."
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:27 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:44 pm Anybody else get the Bordeaux = claret clue from watching Fawlty Towers over 30 years ago?
"They don't know a Bordeaux from a claret."
"A Bordeaux is a claret."
"Well, yes, WE know that...."
I will next time. That's exactly the way that I occasionally get high-value clues.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:56 am
Twitter and JBoard will explode if ever I get on the show because everything about me is pretentious
Several comments about Fawlty Towers re wines; Fawlty Towers also came up with the funniest two-word joke I've ever heard:

"Pretentious? Moi?"
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

When I saw the FJ clue, I got the right answer since it was such a WECIB, but I thought that all of Sicily, Cyprus, and Crete were bigger.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The Kevin Durant clue was hilarious for the So Cal viewers (well, at least one...) catching up from yesterday. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

When the numbers align like that, there's a formula to be derived. So I figured out that if third place's score is equal to a quarter of first's plus half of second's, that produces the scenario in which third and second tie on incorrect responses if third wagers to get $x ahead of first and second attempts to cover third by $x.

I also heard Liz say "affirm." If she had been negged and all else afterward played the same, she would have had $7,200 to Janna's $6,200 and Tucker's $8,200. If she then covered Janna by $1 while Tucker covered her by $1, she and he would have gone to a tiebreaker. Maybe she should ask the show to bring her back since it was potentially to her ultimate detriment that they accepted her response...? [edit: I just watched it again; she definitely put a d at the end.]
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:01 pm WLT Alaska at $200?
Largest state in area (therefore the only one that could have 571,000 square miles) and among the smallest in population so it has one congressional district.

I heard Affirmed.

And it would be odd/unlikely for a lawyer to say "affirm" because appellate court decisions are always in past tense: affirmed, reversed or remanded, e.g.
No question, she said Affirmed.
My least favorite FJ type - orient places on a map. Wrong choices for me, though it seems obvious in retrospect
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 am My least favorite FJ type - orient places on a map.
Ah, see, there's your problem. These were mediterranean places.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:38 am
davey wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 am My least favorite FJ type - orient places on a map.
Ah, see, there's your problem. These were mediterranean places.
I am sure it was occidental.
OCSam
BobF

Post by BobF »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:13 am
I also heard Liz say "affirm." If she had been negged and all else afterward played the same, she would have had $7,200 to Janna's $6,200 and Tucker's $8,200. If she then covered Janna by $1 while Tucker covered her by $1, she and he would have gone to a tiebreaker. Maybe she should ask the show to bring her back since it was potentially to her ultimate detriment that they accepted her response...? [edit: I just watched it again; she definitely put a d at the end.]
I stand correct.... :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Can anyone tell me how it was possible to know the DD about Roxbury puddingstone without having learned every single state rock by heart? Usually in DDs there's something that can lead you to the answer but this just seems like a "you know it or you don't" kind of question. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I got it by being pretty sure that the most famous Roxbury I know is a town in Massachusetts. YMMV