Tuesday, June 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
16th CENTURY NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In his 1557 almanac this French doctor predicted, “Immortal I shall be in life, and in death even more so”

Tucker Dunn: 12600-201=12399 (3x = $39,999)
Stan Jastrzebski: 5200-0=5200
Dylan: 6400-6400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Nostradamus (Tucker – Pasteur) (Stan – Pasteur) (Dylan – Descartes)

Daily Doubles
Stan: 4000-1000
Dylan: 2400+2400
Stan: 4600-4600

Coryats
Tucker: 12600
Stan: 10800
Dylan: 4800

Combined: 28,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DD3 provided an opportunity for rhyme time with a shout of GOUT! even though getting it right would still have cost Stan the game from a narrow leading position.

I did not key on the right word for the FJ! round as I concentrated on “death” thinking the guy coined some term in that area. Working with a slate of mortician, morgue, medical examiner, coroner and autopsy (what I wrote to have something) left me with no chance.

When Alex said the key word was “predict” only then did the clue become quite solvable. My bad. This will be one of those clues insta-easy for half the crowd and nothing but trouble for the other half on my side.

Tucker watched his opponents get in trouble and was able to sit back and take the game on the TS clue.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Hand up if you knew Nostradamus was a doctor. Yeah, that's what I thought. (The "predicted" key word really isn't going to help in that sense, I took it in the more literal meaning in him writing that he will be famous and, after he died, he was.)

At least I wasn't alone with my "Pasteur" guess (poll option?) even though I knew the 16th century was way too early. (But, better to have something, right?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:06 pm Hand up if you knew Nostradamus was a doctor. Yeah, that's what I thought.
True and it's a devilish clue, but I think it falls under the category of WECIB?
georgetrev
Contributor

Post by georgetrev »

I'm in Chicago and J! got knocked out here due to the Sessions hearing. ABC7 was nice enough to show the Final Jeopardy clue, answer, and winner, though.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Came up with nothing for FJ and said "Gray" of "Gray's Anatomy" at the last second just to have something, knowing I was centuries off. As soon as Alex said the key word was predict, I got the answer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but bottom box in African American Women.

All but Jicama in J Words.

All but Can't Buy Me Love in Beatles.

All but SWAT -> Tactics in Acronyms.

NHO "beta male". I almost WAG'd "Omega".

How did "Hello, Newman" fit the Greek category? That has nothing to do with Greek, nor does it sound like a Greek letter.

I thought the "PillPick" -> pharmacist clue was a little inelegant, even if I got it.

NHO "Lord Jim" either.

Lach Trash: Mary Baker Eddy, juncture, pharmacist

I didn't even have it when he said "predict" because I never knew Nostradamus was a doctor.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Redemption on 16th c. (French) NAMES after totally flubbing PLAYS OF JEAN RACINE last night. Instaget but took some time figuring out how to spell it

This is one of those games that had me screaming at the TV, 'I should be on Jeopardy!' No really, I should be on Jeopardy!

LT: Mary Baker Eddy, jicama, pharmacist, Kyiv, MDD: juncture, gout

Missed Unbroken with Unbreakable - doh!

Tucker speaks 7 languages (wow!) and Twitter LOATHES him for it. That's f****d up. Sad really. Pathetic.

That Greek Male category went right over my head. I was confused with the J6 clue today and confused again tonight
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm not understanding what was wrong with just plain "Newman". It has 'nu' in it, and Jerry definitely greeted him that way many times.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:56 pm
Tucker speaks 7 languages (wow!) and Twitter LOATHES him for it. That's f****d up. Sad really. Pathetic.

That Greek Male category went right over my head. I was confused with the J6 clue today and confused again tonight
Re Twitter: Sad truth about being a Jeopardy contestant. People always need to find something to complain about something on the show, but typically not game play. What a contestant wore, a contestant's story, how a contestant held a signaling device, etc. I agree it's awesome Tucker knows 7 languages. That takes a lot of learning and discipline to do. Mad props.

Also agree that the Greek Male category was kind of tough and strange. That J6 clue was especially tricky.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:48 pm How did "Hello, Newman" fit the Greek category? That has nothing to do with Greek, nor does it sound like a Greek letter.
The category was Other Greek Letter Males consisting of a Greek letter (or its homonym) followed by a male term. So you have Nu + Man = Newman. Thought Newman might have been acceptable, but Jerry always said, "Hello, Newman" when he met him.

FJ stumped me. Knew that pasteur was not that far back. Tried to think of a real life french Dr. Frankenstein, but came up empty.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I think Alex accidentally revealed the location of DD1 because he said "Answer" before reading the clue for the $800 question. As I predicted, DD1 was actually for the $1000 question for that category.

Alex then did not say "Answer" when DD2 popped up, suggesting he was being careful to avoid not doing it again.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Giannid wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:48 pm How did "Hello, Newman" fit the Greek category? That has nothing to do with Greek, nor does it sound like a Greek letter.
The category was Other Greek Letter Males consisting of a Greek letter (or its homonym) followed by a male term. So you have Nu + Man = Newman. Thought Newman might have been acceptable, but Jerry always said, "Hello, Newman" when he met him.
Ohh. Duh. I get it now. For the 'Romans' clue, I only got halfway there. I don't think Alex explained it very well? My brain hurts now. Add that to the list of my other nightmare categories: anagrams, hidden words, etc.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:34 pm I think Alex accidentally revealed the location of DD1 because he said "Answer" before reading the clue for the $800 question. As I predicted, DD1 was actually for the $1000 question for that category.

Alex then did not say "Answer" when DD2 popped up, suggesting he was being careful to avoid not doing it again.
There was a time I used to think like this... When I started watching Jeopardy.

That was painful to watch. Tucker is good and dodged the necessary number of games. Big win around the corner?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I went with Diderot for FJ because I saw the word "almanac" and thought that medieval French author+reference book=Diderot in terms of askable people on J!. I had no idea anything that Nostradamus wrote would be considered an almanac.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I was as surprised as Alex that nobody ventured a guess on Long Island for the island next to Manhattan.

On FJ I said Molière just to have something. I had no idea that Nostradamus was a doctor nor did I even know that he was French so no hope of getting a right answer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I went with Marat, even though I was pretty sure he wasn't around that early.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Alex was right, I had no idea he was a doctor. Me, I'd seek a second opinion if my doctor claimed to have supernatural powers

Lach Trash: Jicama, juncture, pharmacist, concierge, gout
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing