Tuesday, June 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 pm I went with Diderot for FJ because I saw the word "almanac" and thought that medieval French author+reference book=Diderot in terms of askable people on J!. I had no idea anything that Nostradamus wrote would be considered an almanac.
Early modern almanacs often contained astrological forecasts.

But while there were ways to figure this out through esoteric knowledge, I think "Name a sixteenth-century Frenchman" was also a way to get at it. Michel de Montaigne is also fairly well-known and is a more genuinely important figure than Nostradamus, but he only comes up twice in the archive (never as a response) compared to over two dozen appearances for Nostradamus (including a whole category in 2005).

ETA: There was also John Calvin as mentioned below. Easy to forget that he was really French.
Last edited by Stanislaus Jacob on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got FJ in a very indirect way. A Frenchman who would be immortal after he died? Maybe somebody who has things named for him?

I tried to think of landmarks in France. Eiffel is too late. Notre Dame... WAIT! Wasn't Nostradamus's name "Michel de Notre Dame"?

It's the wrong reason to get it, but I thought Nostradamus might have been from around the 1500s, even though I didn't know he was a doctor.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,400
40 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: jicama, juncture (DD), pharmacist, concierge, Long Island, gout (DD)

Focused on "death" rather than "predicted." Ended up going with Guillotine (sic) despite being pretty sure I was off by about 200 years.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:06 pm Hand up if you knew Nostradamus was a doctor. Yeah, that's what I thought.
I certainly didn't. If anything that fact hurt my chances of getting tonight's FJ. Not that I would have gotten it anyway. I think this one is going to poll very low.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Women (3), Big Ten (5), "J" Words (2), Job (2), World (5), Beatles (5)
Sailing (1), Acronym (4), Blue (2), Greek (0), Victory (5), Da Feet (2)

Lach Trash: Bangkok, Kiev, concierge, Berlin, Long Island, Nevsky, Tours

I knew the date was too early for Pasteur and probably too early for Descartes. I wasn't aware of Nostradamus being French or a doctor, so the only name I could come up with was John Calvin (guess I was thinking of "doctor of theology" or something.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mcsheffrey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:44 pm I was as surprised as Alex that nobody ventured a guess on Long Island for the island next to Manhattan.
I couldn't parse what the clue was even asking for. I'm not surprised the contestants didn't untangle it in time.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:51 pm I went with Marat, even though I was pretty sure he wasn't around that early.
Same here. I knew he was earlier than Pasteur, my first thought. But I feared, correctly, that he still wasn't early enough.

After the Think music was over, I suddenly realized that 16th CENTURY NAMES needn't refer to a historical person. I wondered if maybe they were going for Dr. Faust.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

This brings my streak of wrong FJs up to 7 (maybe a record for me?), and it's the first of those seven I had no answer for. Add me to the "He was a doctor? He was French?" chorus.

But I did get to say, "Who is Raven Darkholme?"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:06 pm Hand up if you knew Nostradamus was a doctor. Yeah, that's what I thought. (The "predicted" key word really isn't going to help in that sense, I took it in the more literal meaning in him writing that he will be famous and, after he died, he was.)

At least I wasn't alone with my "Pasteur" guess (poll option?) even though I knew the 16th century was way too early. (But, better to have something, right?)
I recently (last month or so) watched a History Channel piece on Nostradamus, so yeah, I knew this.

Still the key word in the clue was "predicted," which confirmed for me that you really, really need to read clues carefully because the writers will very often slip in these nuggets of information that seem like no big deal but are actually HUGE hints.

This is the second game in a row that I've gotten FJ handily while the contestants were 0/3. At least this time I didn't win from the fourth podium because Tucker properly wagered small and I didn't have quite enough LT to catch him.

LT: pharmacist, Long Island, Berlin, ganglion, and Alexander Nevsky. which I knew mainly because when I sang with the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus we performed the Prokofiev cantata "Alexander Nevsky." Odd how stuff from just all over comes in handy on this show.
BobF

Post by BobF »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 pm I'm not understanding what was wrong with just plain "Newman". It has 'nu' in it, and Jerry definitely greeted him that way many times.
I'm with you. Poorly written clue within the confines of the category. Asking for Seinfeld's nemesis and accepting Newman would have fit in with the category much better.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BobF

Post by BobF »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:06 pm Hand up if you knew Nostradamus was a doctor. Yeah, that's what I thought. (The "predicted" key word really isn't going to help in that sense, I took it in the more literal meaning in him writing that he will be famous and, after he died, he was.)

At least I wasn't alone with my "Pasteur" guess (poll option?) even though I knew the 16th century was way too early. (But, better to have something, right?)
Hell, I didn't even realize he was FRENCH!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

mcsheffrey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:44 pm I was as surprised as Alex that nobody ventured a guess on Long Island for the island next to Manhattan.
Maybe they thought it might be Staten Island and held their tongues? *shrug*

Didn't know Nostradamus was a doctor, was only vaguely aware the he was French, but that quote sounded like the kind of crackpot !@&# he would say, so instaget here.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I had a vague notion that Paschal was a doctor, so that became my guess, even though I thought he was too late for the time frame.

But this reminded me of one of me favorite bits from "Something Rotten":

What's your name?
Nostradamus.
THE Nostradamus!?
No, I'm his nephew, Thomas.
Thomas Nostradamus?

Makes me giggle, every time.
Teems with quiet fun.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

immaf wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:30 am I had a vague notion that Paschal was a doctor, so that became my guess, even though I thought he was too late for the time frame.
I've never even heard of Paschal. Do you mean Pascal?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:46 am
immaf wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:30 am I had a vague notion that Paschal was a doctor, so that became my guess, even though I thought he was too late for the time frame.
I've never even heard of Paschal. Do you mean Pascal?
Spelling is not my strong suit.
Teems with quiet fun.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

Re FJ:
I pinged immediately on "predicted" so got Nostradamus right away (didn't know he was a doctor or that he was French, thought he was Latin)
My husband knew Nostradamus was French and a doctor so it was an instaget for him. Hubby also said that the name has been "Latinized".
A quick glance at Wikipedia concurs:
Michel de Nostredame (depending on the source, 14 or 21 December 1503 – 2 July 1566), usually latinised as Nostradamus,
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:14 am
econgator wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:51 pm I went with Marat, even though I was pretty sure he wasn't around that early.
Same here. I knew he was earlier than Pasteur, my first thought.
Really?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Ugh. Went with Linnaeus even though I was pretty sure he wasn't French and suspected the timeframe was off. Also briefly considered Pasteur but was certain that timeframe was off, plus I don't think he was the type to brag about himself. Never would have hit on Nostradamus.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:14 am
Same here. I knew he was earlier than Pasteur, my first thought.
Really?
I never would have thought of Marat. Obviously he wasn't alive in the 1500s, but he was French and he is certainly remembered most today for being murdered which checks the "immortal in death" part of the clue.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

But this reminded me of one of me favorite bits from "Something Rotten":

What's your name?
Nostradamus.
THE Nostradamus!?
No, I'm his nephew, Thomas.
Thomas Nostradamus?

Makes me giggle, every time.
We saw "Something Rotten" last year (it has since left Broadway and is on tour), we thought it was very funny and is one of our favorite musicals.