Tuesday, June 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph »

I'd have had a better chance in FJ if they had left out "Doctor".
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:13 am
mcsheffrey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:44 pm I was as surprised as Alex that nobody ventured a guess on Long Island for the island next to Manhattan.
Maybe they thought it might be Staten Island and held their tongues? *shrug*

Didn't know Nostradamus was a doctor, was only vaguely aware the he was French, but that quote sounded like the kind of crackpot !@&# he would say, so instaget here.
I'm in NYC - Staten Island popped into my head but I stayed clam. I would've never guessed Long Island

François Rabelais - 16th c. French author of Gargantua and Pantagruel, as well as an almanac 'Prognostications' - was also a doctor of medicine, ergo a better guess than 17th or 18th c. dudes like Pascal or Diderot. I took a graduate seminar on Rabelais and I think Nostradamus came up at one point, but agree the clue is pretty vague
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

dinghammer wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:41 am This brings my streak of wrong FJs up to 7 (maybe a record for me?), and it's the first of those seven I had no answer for. Add me to the "He was a doctor? He was French?" chorus.

But I did get to say, "Who is Raven Darkholme?"
I'll race you to the bottom! I'm on 7 skunks myself and only a couple that I thought were YEKIOYDS so they were gettable. Curse those FJ writers!

Replace "Doctor" with about any other word (man, etc..) and this FJ is a 70% get. Remove "French", and it is a 90% get. (Harrumph made this point while I was hiding my screen from my co-workers, lol)

I spent the whole think music trying to think of the dude who discovered (? - what do you call it in the squishy sciences?) the circulatory system, but it was the right timing, but the wrong guy (Harvey - not too Frenchy). This event was the beginning of modern medicine, Hippocrates and Galen notwithstanding.
I didn't take the Pasteur sucker bait but went with equally hopeless answer of Robespierre (also too early).

I wondered if they would take Raven instead of Mystique.

The Newman neg was not fair, especially since he said "Neeew-man". The only way "Hello" belongs in there is a possible nod toward "Helios", which I don't even know if it is Greek.

Tucker ran and hid the last half of the game, especially after Stan face palmed the "gout" DD. Not a pretty game.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:34 pm I think Alex accidentally revealed the location of DD1 because he said "Answer" before reading the clue for the $800 question. As I predicted, DD1 was actually for the $1000 question for that category.
The first clue coming out of the break, Alex often says "Answer", because he's walking back to the podium and needs to buy that extra time to get re-seated and find the clue. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Daily Double location.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 amLT: pharmacist, Long Island, Berlin, ganglion, and Alexander Nevsky. which I knew mainly because when I sang with the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus we performed the Prokofiev cantata "Alexander Nevsky." Odd how stuff from just all over comes in handy on this show.
I LOVE that piece. It sounds like a lot of fun to sing. Who was conducting?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:46 am
immaf wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:30 am I had a vague notion that Paschal was a doctor, so that became my guess, even though I thought he was too late for the time frame.
I've never even heard of Paschal. Do you mean Pascal?
Surely you can passover a small mistake like that.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I watched this game late last night after going out to a Geeks Who Drink event with Stan, who's been my pub quiz teammate for the last year. He didn't even want to watch the game (no viewing party) as he was so disappointed with the outcome. I know from my conversations with him that he struggled with getting the timing of the signalling device down, doubly frustrating for him as an ex-quizbowl player. Those two DD misses must have hurt, as I know that under more relaxed circumstances he would likely have got both puncture (he's very good at word play) and gout. I'll get to discuss this in more detail with him tonight, which is our normal pub quiz night. Needless to say, from the comfort of my sofa, lots of LT to be had.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:36 pm
immaf wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:30 am I had a vague notion that Paschal was a doctor, so that became my guess, even though I thought he was too late for the time frame.
What he seder.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Woof wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm I watched this game late last night after going out to a Geeks Who Drink event with Stan, who's been my pub quiz teammate for the last year. He didn't even want to watch the game (no viewing party) as he was so disappointed with the outcome. I know from my conversations with him that he struggled with getting the timing of the signalling device down, doubly frustrating for him as an ex-quizbowl player. Those two DD misses must have hurt, as I know that under more relaxed circumstances he would likely have got both puncture (he's very good at word play) and gout. I'll get to discuss this in more detail with him tonight, which is our normal pub quiz night. Needless to say, from the comfort of my sofa, lots of LT to be had.
No doubt that gout has laid out many a redoubtable man - so Stan's in good company.

And the scores didn't really tell the tale of yesterday's game.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:36 pm
What he seder.
I mean, it's just chametz sense.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

mcsheffrey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:44 pm
On FJ I said Molière just to have something. I had no idea that Nostradamus was a doctor nor did I even know that he was French so no hope of getting a right answer.
I'll have to join the poll group that went with "Pasteur" even though I was certain it was wrong just to have something. The last time I didn't write down an answer I was certain was incorrect, it cost me my third win when it turned out to be right. I've learned my lesson. NEVER leave FJ blank.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 pm
dhkendall wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:06 pm Hand up if you knew Nostradamus was a doctor. Yeah, that's what I thought.
True and it's a devilish clue, but I think it falls under the category of WECIB?
^ This. I didn't know he was a doc, but knew he'd written a lot of stuff that gets quoted (funny how the stuff that doesn't come true gets ignored?), so I went with Nostro.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm I watched this game late last night after going out to a Geeks Who Drink event with Stan, who's been my pub quiz teammate for the last year. He didn't even want to watch the game (no viewing party) as he was so disappointed with the outcome. I know from my conversations with him that he struggled with getting the timing of the signalling device down, doubly frustrating for him as an ex-quizbowl player. Those two DD misses must have hurt, as I know that under more relaxed circumstances he would likely have got both puncture (he's very good at word play) and gout. I'll get to discuss this in more detail with him tonight, which is our normal pub quiz night. Needless to say, from the comfort of my sofa, lots of LT to be had.
Bummer :cry:

I can totally imagine losing up there and not wanting to have a viewing party, but it really is a big deal just to make it on the show, so congrats to Stan!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:27 am
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:34 pm I think Alex accidentally revealed the location of DD1 because he said "Answer" before reading the clue for the $800 question. As I predicted, DD1 was actually for the $1000 question for that category.
The first clue coming out of the break, Alex often says "Answer", because he's walking back to the podium and needs to buy that extra time to get re-seated and find the clue. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Daily Double location.
I had no idea, thanks for the tidbit.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:03 pm
I'm trying to understand how this would reveal where the DD is. Can you explain your thought process?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 pm
I'm trying to understand how this would reveal where the DD is. Can you explain your thought process?
Alex usually says "Answer... the Daily Double" when announcing the Daily Double. Thus, the thesis here was that he accidentally announced "Answer" before $800 when the Daily Double was at $1000.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:45 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 pm I'm trying to understand how this would reveal where the DD is. Can you explain your thought process?
Alex usually says "Answer... the Daily Double" when announcing the Daily Double. Thus, the thesis here was that he accidentally announced "Answer" before $800 when the Daily Double was at $1000.
I also expected a DD there and was surprised when there wasn't one
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:20 am Focused on "death" rather than "predicted." Ended up going with Guillotine (sic) despite being pretty sure I was off by about 200 years.
Second.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:45 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 pm
Wow. I've been watching the show for 30 years and never noticed this!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:40 pm
Bummer :cry:

I can totally imagine losing up there and not wanting to have a viewing party, but it really is a big deal just to make it on the show, so congrats to Stan!
I almost gave a shout out to Stan that he was the better player in the game (great bet on the last DD, albeit the brain fart) and his torrid attempt to come back from the deck while Tucker hid out. But, I didn't want to diminish Tucker's win. You've nothing to be embarrassed about Stan, Lady Luck is a fickle mistress. You played great, bet great, and you didn't bet $1000 on "Carbon" at a point when you could have controlled the game. I did enjoy the strong comeback with LTAM, but alas...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.