Wednesday, June 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOOKS & AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His first novel, from 1920, incorporated some of his pieces from the Nassau, a Princeton literary magazine

Tucker Dunn: 5200-311=4889
Becca Arm: 22200+5300=27500
Phil Ricciardi: 16900+16500=33400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
F. Scott Fitzgerald (Tucker – Arnold Toynbee)

Daily Doubles
Becca: 7000+2000
Phil: 9800-2500
Becca: 18200+2000

Coryats
Tucker: 5200
Becca: 20400
Phil: 19400

Combined: 45,000
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Dear Jeopardy:

Pronouns are important.

You used the wrong one on Clue of the Day.

Signed,

Incredibly Angry.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:05 pm Dear Jeopardy:

Pronouns are important.

Signed,

Incredibly Angry.
I never look ahead at the clue, so just now saw what is there. Yeah, that is bad. The poll will include an option for those that got messed up by that mistake.

It made me laugh when the first ad after the first segment was one for BBT, since I was already picturing comments about Becca either with Amy comparisons or return of Lisa Schlitt jokes.

MEB in a clue brought back memories of what I used to leave on some arcade machines.

It's taken more than one clue and many years, but finally I learned what to do with Princeton author & 1920. No box of shame for me this week.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Pronouns are important.

Signed,

Incredibly Angry.
Oh, I thought that FJGuy made a mistake. Yeah, it's much easier if they're just looking for the "he".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tucker finished 0/12 uncovering DDs which can't be easy to do. Cheezguyty: Has anyone had more cracks at finding DDs and had an 0-fer?
Golf

Post by Golf »

theFJguy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 pm Tucker Dunn: 5200-311=4889
Becca Arm: 22200+5300=27500
Phil Ricciardi: 16900+16500=33400 (New Champ)
Well, lack of preparation and wagering sense cost Becca no less than $32801. Wonder what the hourly rate would have been on that small investment in study? I would have had no problem had she wagered 0 however.

Phil made a similarly poor wager, yet like poker, a poor wager at times can turn out rosy.

Had I been in Tucker's position, I would have wagered everything. Yes, in theory, a proper wager of $11601 by Becca would have locked him out by $199. But considering certain contestant types rarely make the perfect wager, rather they find some round number that they know will do the job, I think it would have been well worth the shot that Becca wouldn't be precise.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Interesting. A "correct" wager from second would have lost Phil the game. I wonder why Becca was so cautious. It seems like the category would be in a library worker's wheelhouse.

What is up with the writers and Bible clues? They constantly get them wrong. It's been a while, I think, since they got one COMPLETELY wrong:

AN ANGEL SAID TO THIS PAIR, "FEAR NOT: FOR BEHOLD I BRING YOU GOOD TIDINGS OF GREAT JOY, WHICH SHALL BE TO ALL PEOPLE"

There is no totally correct response to this. But the correctest response would be "Who are two (out of an unspecified number) of shepherds who were abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night?" The accepted (and presumably expected) response of "Who are Mary and Joseph?" is flat out wrong. Honestly, it's not difficult to look these things up now that we all have the internet. How did this clue get written? How did it get by the fact checkers?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Hnnnghh. I am not a Wagering Viking but if you're leading going into FJ, get it right, and still lose, something's gone horribly wrong. I'd much rather lose by missing the question than by underbetting.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I didn't know the correct response to this FJ and just made a guess. I tried to think of an American author of the right age who might have gone to an Ivy League school. Fitzgerald felt plausible. I also considered Hemingway as being about the right age, but he seemed less Ivy Leaguish to me than Fitzgerald. If I were forced to name others, I might have gone with some Algonquin Round Table types, like Robert Benchley or somebody like that.

If you don't know, you might as well write something down!

Now that I look it up, I see Benchley attended Harvard, not Princeton. But I thought during FJ that someone like Benchley might be a tiny bit too obscure, and I felt like they probably wanted a really "big name" like Fitzgerald or Hemingway or Steinbeck. Fitzgerald felt like the best fit even though I didn't know the details of his educational history.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Pronouns are important.

Signed,

Incredibly Angry.
I played this off the Clue of the Day, never noticing the pronoun issue, and got it right anyway. I suppose I just skipped over the first word and honed in on the "his" later on.

In a similar vein, there are MANY typos in the Infinite Final Jeopardy loop, but I suppose those were all entered long ago, when they began doing it, as opposed the the Clue of the Day, which is done ... yeah, daily. What's really interesting/frustrating with IFJ is when the clue clearly refers to some picture or video that is not available. Granted, they had a lot of FJs to enter, but they really didn't proofread/edit very well.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Blah blah 1920s author blah blah has ties to Princeton. Unless there's another author that fits that criteria, they're looking for Fitzgerald every time. Surprisingly, that get plus my get yesterday gives me two in a row in regular play for the first time since the first week of May.

I'll leave to the rest of you to dissect those wagers.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm
What is up with the writers and Bible clues? They constantly get them wrong. It's been a while, I think, since they got one COMPLETELY wrong:

AN ANGEL SAID TO THIS PAIR, "FEAR NOT: FOR BEHOLD I BRING YOU GOOD TIDINGS OF GREAT JOY, WHICH SHALL BE TO ALL PEOPLE"

There is no totally correct response to this. But the correctest response would be "Who are two (out of an unspecified number) of shepherds who were abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night?" The accepted (and presumably expected) response of "Who are Mary and Joseph?" is flat out wrong. Honestly, it's not difficult to look these things up now that we all have the internet. How did this clue get written? How did it get by the fact checkers?
I thought the same. Would there even be a time that an angel appeared to them simultaneously or even with a message of good tidings to both? Only time I can think of an angel visiting Joseph was in a dream as a warning of Herod's rage, instructing him to take Mary and Jesus to Egypt.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

Apparently, the Jeopardy clue writers haven't watched A Charley Brown Christmas.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

TomFromMD wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 pm Apparently, the Jeopardy clue writers haven't watched A Charley Brown Christmas.
A Charlie Brown Christmas
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Scheduling alert: Fox will be showing U.S. Open golf coverage on both Thursday & Friday, so check your listings if you might be affected. With Phil Mickelson all but assured of withdrawing and out, the network needs some other big names in the hunt.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:53 pm Tucker finished 0/12 uncovering DDs which can't be easy to do. Cheezguyty: Has anyone had more cracks at finding DDs and had an 0-fer?
I could find no one in the Archive who played in more than four games without ever finding a Daily Double, and only Zack Terrill who also found zero in twelve chances.

ETA: John Krizel only played one Daily Double in his six appearances, and it was the last clue in the DJ! Round of his second game, so you could say that he never found a Daily Double, and that he only received the one as a result of it being the only clue remaining on the board.
Last edited by cheezguyty on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

nlw44 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:24 pm
TomFromMD wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 pm Apparently, the Jeopardy clue writers haven't watched A Charley Brown Christmas.
A Charlie Brown Christmas
Good thing spelling doesn't count in Jeopardy :lol: