Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG »

sarisson wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am The "covfefe" question proves that Thorsten does have a sense of humor. Now we know that he doesn't write all the questions before the season starts.
... or that he has supernatural powers and we should be afraid, very afraid of him.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Tabby wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:42 am
econgator wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:12 am
StevenH wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:05 am And I regretfully guessed "polo" on the boxing question...my kickboxing instructor would kill me for missing that one!
That is the one that shocked me most. I guess "Marquess of Queensbury" is not as well-known as I thought.
I was too. As a female, I figured if I knew it immediately, so would everyone, but neither my husband or son knew it. So, the thing that's bugging me, is where did I hear it that it has stuck with me? And, I didn't know the Marquess personally. :D
The Marquess of Queensberry is also famous for getting Oscar Wilde convicted of gross indecency, in this case, homosexuality.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

You can access any MD early throughout the season. So what would people have seen for #5 yesterday if they looked at the day early on?
Twitter: @jfrumkin
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

jfrumkin wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 pm You can access any MD early throughout the season. So what would people have seen for #5 yesterday if they looked at the day early on?
Or did Thorsten predict covfefe and is a clairvoyant and/or time traveler?
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

I looked at advance access the night before the season started. Only the first 5 or so match days were available at that time. It seems that advance access only goes as far as Thorsten has the questions completely finalized.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday was another rough one, as I lost 1(1)-3(2). The Walt Whitman question was the only one that I had any hope on. And I had thought that I made a good call giving my opponent a 0 for Manhattan, but that one played tough.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

I was pretty surprised on the get rate for "Blunder". I'm a huge chess guy so I don't really have a good gauge on how hard that is, but I thought that was going to poll really high.

I must have seen "Too Many Cooks" about 10 times, so no way I was going to miss that.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 am I was pretty surprised on the get rate for "Blunder". I'm a huge chess guy so I don't really have a good gauge on how hard that is, but I thought that was going to poll really high.

I must have seen "Too Many Cooks" about 10 times, so no way I was going to miss that.
Those were the two I missed. No chance I'd come up with either of those.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

It's interesting that Q6, which says "name the TV show", is categorized as film.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 am I was pretty surprised on the get rate for "Blunder". I'm a huge chess guy so I don't really have a good gauge on how hard that is, but I thought that was going to poll really high.

I didn't even need to open the picture for that one. The chess one though....
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

A frustrating 6(5)-6(4) tie. Too Many Cooks and the chess question (I wild-guessed miscue) were tough to defend because they're too specialized to be totally captured in someone's TV or games scores.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:48 am

Those were the two I missed. No chance I'd come up with either of those.
Ditto. And so my unbeaten streak (and lead) comes to an end.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I didn't win yesterday due to poor defense, but I was pretty happy with my game.

I knew exactly what the first question was looking for as emoluments has been in the news so much, but I just could not pull the word. I kept going about my day and coming back to see if it would come to me, but it just didn't. I also had absolutely no idea on the rest of the answers and figured that this game was going to be my first ever 0(0).

Finally at about 5 o'clock or so I decided to just put down something for each of the questions, and every one of them were WAGs. Lo and behold, blunder and Manhattan were actually correct! Lesson learned.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 am It's interesting that Q6, which says "name the TV show", is categorized as film.
I guess because you need to know the name of the Woody Allen film to be sure of getting this right, it was called a film question. Honestly, the one flaw with playing defense strictly based on your opponent's percentages in a category is that some clues might be miscategorized or fit into two or more categories. For instance, I get some classical music questions in opera because of an opera's Shakespearean antecedents. This inflates my classical music percentage higher than it should be.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:55 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:43 am
sarisson wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am The "covfefe" question proves that Thorsten does have a sense of humor.
I managed a strange 6(5)-6(4) tie thanks to my opponent missing "covfefe" (we both missed lumpia). At least I assigned that question one point rather than zero or I would have lost! I assigned "Jump" the zero.
I ended up in a strange 9(6)-9(5) tie for the same reason. Perhaps my opponent misspelled it? I can't otherwise imagine how an A Rundler would miss that one.
I misspelled it as "cofveve". I think I did so because of all the jokes about it being a type of coffee.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jjwaymee wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:59 pm
I misspelled it as "cofveve". I think I did so because of all the jokes about it being a type of coffee.
The only way I kept it straight was that I saw a Breaking Bad-ish meme where it was shown as Cobalt-Vanadium-Iron-Iron.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Huh. That photo played easier than I thought...*checks photo again*...there were FLAGS in it?! /sigh
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 am Huh. That photo played easier than I thought...*checks photo again*...there were FLAGS in it?! /sigh
Easier? It looks like leaguewide, it only got 18%.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 am Huh. That photo played easier than I thought...*checks photo again*...there were FLAGS in it?! /sigh
I saw the flags and knew her (former) title, but had no clue what her name was.

Surprised to see the 72% on water standards. I must've missed that day in class, because that didn't ring any bells.

And really, USS Covfefe as a BWA? C'mon. It's boring and predictable. There's nothing "best" about it.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:38 am
Surprised to see the 72% on water standards. I must've missed that day in class, because that didn't ring any bells.
I had no clue, but what else could it be?
Now swimming in the J! pool.