Wednesday, June 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:55 pm I'm terrible at naming colleges, was there any TOM in the USC manure prank clue (the top row one), or was it just something you ahd to know?
You didn't have to know about the prank specifically. (I didn't.) You just had to know that UCLA and USC are enemies.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:02 am
Wheatley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:55 pm I'm terrible at naming colleges, was there any TOM in the USC manure prank clue (the top row one), or was it just something you ahd to know?
You didn't have to know about the prank specifically. (I didn't.) You just had to know that UCLA and USC are enemies.
In 1958 Bruins in a chopper dumped 500 pounds of manure on Tommy Trojan at this U. but some say the rotors caused blowback

The clue has a lot of words, but spotting "Trojan" makes it a lot easier.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh, and the $200 clue in STYLES OF COUNTRY MUSIC was WAY undervalued. How the heck am I supposed to know which city is connected with a softer-edged studio style called countrypolitan? It could literally be any city in the entire world.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:02 am
In 1958 Bruins in a chopper dumped 500 pounds of manure on Tommy Trojan at this U. but some say the rotors caused blowback

The clue has a lot of words, but spotting "Trojan" makes it a lot easier.
Thanks for the exact wording. I'd forgotten that you also have to know which colleges to associate with Bruins and Trojans. As a SoCal kid who went to UCLA, that part came without thinking. But for Wheatley, who admits to some weakness in the college-naming department, that might be a sticking point.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

When I played this off the Clue of the Day this morning and in light of yesterday's FJ, which I got but with very low confidence, I thought J! had really stepped up their game with the FJs. Whoa, not just the author but his first novel too? Pretty sure it was FSF, but less sure of his first novel. Nevertheless, my question was 'What is This Side of Paradise?' I'm not counting it as wrong.

It hurts me every time to see people not bet to win.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

jgroub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:02 am
zakharov wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm Hnnnghh. I am not a Wagering Viking but if you're leading going into FJ, get it right, and still lose, something's gone horribly wrong. I'd much rather lose by missing the question than by underbetting.
That is exactly right, Zakharov. You will kick yourself the rest of your life if this happens. If you lose because you got the question wrong, fine. Or maybe, "fine". But to underbet? Not fine.
Are you mbclev?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I wasn't seriously expecting a "Be more specific" on USC (University of Southern California), and I'm fine with them not asking for one (given that the clue mentioned the Bruins and the Trojans, and that "University of Southern California" has so many syllables), but one could argue that if we're being pedantic, they "should" ask for a BMS in this case, since the University of South Carolina is also commonly known by those initials.

Again, I don't take issue with it in this case, but it illustrates that the show doesn't seem to have a 100% consistent one-size-fits-all BMS policy.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

skullturf wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:08 am I wasn't seriously expecting a "Be more specific" on USC (University of Southern California), and I'm fine with them not asking for one (given that the clue mentioned the Bruins and the Trojans, and that "University of Southern California" has so many syllables), but one could argue that if we're being pedantic, they "should" ask for a BMS in this case, since the University of South Carolina is also commonly known by those initials.

Again, I don't take issue with it in this case, but it illustrates that the show doesn't seem to have a 100% consistent one-size-fits-all BMS policy.
I don't know - I concede that "USC" for South Carolina is an occasional usage, but the media usually refer to Southern California as USC without any worries about ambiguity. (E.g. this article about a lawsuit between the two schools - the main body of the article light-heartedly talks about "USC (West)" and "USC (East)," but the headline just says "USC" and expects the reader will known Southern California is meant: https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/ ... aaf-274469)
BobF

Post by BobF »

zakharov wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm Hnnnghh. I am not a Wagering Viking but if you're leading going into FJ, get it right, and still lose, something's gone horribly wrong. I'd much rather lose by missing the question than by underbetting.
+1. And an argument could be made she underbet the Daily Doubles as well costing herself a lock or near-lock.

ETA: Growing up in central NJ (40 minutes east of Princeton), this was a total instaget for me.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:05 pm Dear Jeopardy:

Pronouns are important.

You used the wrong one on Clue of the Day.

Signed,

Incredibly Angry.
So what was the clue of the day wording for those of us who didn't see it?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:19 am

Pronouns are important.

Signed,

Incredibly Angry.
So what was the clue of the day wording for those of us who didn't see it?
His first novel, from 1920, incorporated some of his pieces from the Nassau, a Princeton literary magazine

Change the "His" at the start to "This" for the site's error.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:21 am Change the "His" at the start to "This" for the site's error.
Well, yeah, that changes things a bit. Oops.

I'd never look at the Clue of the Day. Who wants to be spoiled for the show?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Pronouns are important.

Signed,

Incredibly Angry.
Same. Super Frustrated Fan here. "This first novel" on COD >>> I gave Great Gatsby. JW how many others?
Reading the broadcast clue I was all like; "Umm I'm sure it was Gatsby but this looks different- they want the author? Okay...."

Totally spoiled my FJ record. NOT like anyone looks at it. :x
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

"This Side of Paradise" was Fitzgerald's first novel.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bob78164 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:16 pm This game is a loss for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
This game is a loss for the strong form of "I didn't really want to win, so I just picked a small enough number that it left me vulnerable to being overtaken by #"2."

Awww, Becca! Seriously, girl???
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:22 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:16 pm This game is a loss for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
This game is a loss for the strong form of "I didn't really want to win, so I just picked a small enough number that it left me vulnerable to being overtaken by #"2."

Awww, Becca! Seriously, girl???
And the category wasn't even a terrible one, either.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm Interesting. A "correct" wager from second would have lost Phil the game. I wonder why Becca was so cautious. It seems like the category would be in a library worker's wheelhouse.

What is up with the writers and Bible clues? They constantly get them wrong. It's been a while, I think, since they got one COMPLETELY wrong:

AN ANGEL SAID TO THIS PAIR, "FEAR NOT: FOR BEHOLD I BRING YOU GOOD TIDINGS OF GREAT JOY, WHICH SHALL BE TO ALL PEOPLE"

There is no totally correct response to this. But the correctest response would be "Who are two (out of an unspecified number) of shepherds who were abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night?" The accepted (and presumably expected) response of "Who are Mary and Joseph?" is flat out wrong. Honestly, it's not difficult to look these things up now that we all have the internet. How did this clue get written? How did it get by the fact checkers?
Amen, brother
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Was there a reason Phil didn't bet everything on FJ?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
BobF

Post by BobF »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:34 am "This Side of Paradise" was Fitzgerald's first novel.
Are you sure it wasn't "His Side of Paradise"? :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Pronouns are important.

Signed,

Incredibly Angry.
I never look ahead at the clue, so just now saw what is there. Yeah, that is bad. The poll will include an option for those that got messed up by that mistake.

It made me laugh when the first ad after the first segment was one for BBT, since I was already picturing comments about Becca either with Amy comparisons or return of Lisa Schlitt jokes.

MEB in a clue brought back memories of what I used to leave on some arcade machines.

It's taken more than one clue and many years, but finally I learned what to do with Princeton author & 1920. No box of shame for me this week.
Yup -- CotD asked for "THIS first novel," not "HIS first novel. Knew the author, didn't know his first novel, so went with Gatsby knowing it was incorrect. May have to ask permission to state I answered correctly on the weekly FJ poll, since I knew the answer as phrased on the show.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.