Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RECENT OSCAR WINNERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For his portrayal of a famous man born in the 1940s, he was the first actor born in the ‘80s to win the Best Actor Oscar

Phil Ricciardi: 12700-3200=9500
Jacob Jenkelowitz: 4700-2500=2200
Debb Johnson: 18600-5900=12700

Correct response:
Spoiler
Eddie Redmayne (Phil – Russell Crowe) (Jacob – diCaprio) (Debb – Leonardo diCaprio)

Daily Doubles
Debb: 2000+2000
Phil: 11000-1500
Jacob: 1200+1100

Coryats
Phil: 14200
Jacob: 4400
Debb: 17400

Combined: 36,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice category runs by Phil in both STATE THE CITY and “NME”s LIST, but Alex put the jinx on him with multiple comments about his big lead and the deficit of the challengers.

What is it with two different women on consecutive days having the lead for the FJ! round and wagering exactly their lead?

That would have been an unexpected path to the long awaited tiebreaker if Phil had bet zero.

I took extra time for the FJ! clue with the game on pause after time was up and still could not solve it. When Debb was shown to be incorrect I tried again to figure it out and failed.

Not having the recent Best Actor winners on speed dial is all my fault and I spent the official think time trying to recall who beat out Ryan Gosling in the most recent ceremony. Even that did not go well as I could not bring up Casey Affleck.

DiCaprio was the previous year, but he was out because I knew he was older than 37. Going another year back to hit the right combination was not going to happen in 30 seconds and as I found out it was not going to happen in another minute either.

For LL thinking time there is no way I submit without solving it even if it took me all day.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:15 pm I took extra time for the FJ! clue with the game on pause after time was up and still could not solve it. When Debb was shown to be incorrect I tried again to figure it out and failed.
Clicked on today accidentally, but I figured I'd play the clue as I already saw it (and spoilers don't bother me at all, so I don't care if I know who won).

Like two of the three, all I could come up with was diCaprio. Even if you had spotted me Eddie Redm, I wouldn't have come up with it, as to the best of my recollection, I've never heard of this person.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:15 pm I took extra time for the FJ! clue with the game on pause after time was up and still could not solve it. When Debb was shown to be incorrect I tried again to figure it out and failed.
Clicked on today accidentally, but I figured I'd play the clue as I already saw it (and spoilers don't bother me at all, so I don't care if I know who won).

Like two of the three, all I could come up with was diCaprio. Even if you had spotted me Eddie Redm, I wouldn't have come up with it, as to the best of my recollection, I've never heard of this person.
The clue below was two years ago, so that will provide little help today while if it had been last year perhaps those that watch the daytime reruns could have reaped a benefit.

#7088, aired 2015-06-10 I PLAYED HIM IN THE RECENT MOVIE $400: Eddie Redmayne: This smarty in "The Theory of Everything"
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:20 pm Like two of the three, all I could come up with was diCaprio. Even if you had spotted me Eddie Redm, I wouldn't have come up with it, as to the best of my recollection, I've never heard of this person.
It pays to pay attention to movies, and Eddie Redmayne was nominated for Best Actor in consecutive years. That said, both of those movies probably made less than what the latest Star Wars movie made in a day. So, I'm guessing this will poll fairly low.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

My guess was Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles. Like Mark, I'm weak on recent Oscar winners, and I don't think I'd have gotten it even with more than 30 seconds.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Laredo seems really undervalued for a $1200 clue, especially when the Rio Grande does go through El Paso (and even Brownsville).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Had a closing shift and midday shift back to back, so only now got around to watching. Only to realize that I was watching today's game instead.

Today's J! board felt really easy. Ran State the City and Charlie Brown, and got all but "on message" in NME.

DJ! I found much harder, however.

Sullenberger didn't manage to Hawley-Smoot itself into my head.

BLT -> BLAT -> Avocado was completely alien to me. There are lots of foods that begin with A and can be on a sandwich.

Sloppy Joe was my only get there. Didn't recognize anything else at all.

Also never would've gotten tarantula in a million years.

Rio Grande = El Paso, right? Wrong. Negbait to the supreme.

WLT kitchen or Croat at $400?

NHO "Moneyball" that I recall.

No guess on FJ! The names ring no bells at all. Didn't know there was a movie about Hawking.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

BLT with avocado? YUCK.

For all my Oscar winner studies, when given the chance to put it to use, I could only get as far as "that guy who played Hawking". !@^^#@#$%^%$(^@!$&*#!$!$@#.

The wagering...yeesh. If they had all gotten it right, the usual all-in suicide wager beats that ridiculous 5900 wager, so of course she gets away with it. If he had recognized the two-thirds and stood pat we'd have seen a tiebreaker, so of course he bets some useless in-between number because the tiebreaker is a lie and Wagering Jesus hates us all.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:28 pm WLT kitchen or Croat at $400?
The clue mentioned the Latin word 'culina'. Culinary -> food -> kitchen is how I got there. For Croat, helps to know the makeup of the former Yugoslavia.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:28 pm BLT -> BLAT -> Avocado was completely alien to me. There are lots of foods that begin with A and can be on a sandwich.
And seriously, why would you want to ruin the perfection that is a BLT by putting anything else on it, much less nasty avocado?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Somehow FJ was an instant get for me. It just clicked right away.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Brown (5), City (5), Spiders (2), "NME" (3), Hero (5), Sandwich (5)
Rome (3), Joshing (3), Museums (2), Nonfiction (1), 9-Letter (2), Minority (3)

Lach Trash: Bhutan; Daily Double: muckraker

Very first thought for the older figure was Alan Turing, but he was born earlier than the 1940's. After that, I quickly came up with Stephen Hawking, and then was thinking either Benedict Cumberbatch or Eddie Redmayne, and picked the latter.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Another vote for "That guy who played Hawking" !@#$%^&*&^%$#! Guessing Cumberbatch just to put down anything wrong. Oughta be a poll!!

Total headslapper on reveal; "DOH! Of Course he was!" Let's get best actors on speedial, sheesh! :oops:

44R at least and a few LT: ORB weavers, get on MDD: Muckraker (often asked!); Nepalese minority, thin wedge of India between > Bhutan!

Again they ask about Krakauer's Into Thin Air, this comes up frequently AND often; must be an AT fav! :o :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:24 pm Laredo seems really undervalued for a $1200 clue, especially when the Rio Grande does go through El Paso (and even Brownsville).
I think that clue was more about recognizing an old cowboy ballad rather than knowing the location of a museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L14UKBjC5Is
Last edited by Vintsanity on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:24 pm Laredo seems really undervalued for a $1200 clue, especially when the Rio Grande does go through El Paso (and even Brownsville).
"Streets of" is the TOM. (Reference to the popular song/movie/TV series).

(Full disclosure, I said "Brownsville", only noticing the TOM after my response but before the answer was revealed.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:26 pm

(Full disclosure, I said "Brownsville", only noticing the TOM after my response but before the answer was revealed.)
I recognize the song "Streets of Laredo", but it was way too easy to say El Paso. But if they wanted El Paso, they probably would've used Marty Robbins as the TOM.
Vintsanity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vintsanity »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm
dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:26 pm

I recognize the song "Streets of Laredo", but it was way too easy to say El Paso. But if they wanted El Paso, they probably would've used Marty Robbins as the TOM.
Even Marty Robbins wouldn't rule out Laredo, see my link above.

I agree though, even being familiar with the song I still reflexively said El Paso before figuring out what they were going for.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vintsanity wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:25 pm
I think that clue was more about recognizing an old cowboy ballad rather than knowing the location of a museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L14UKBjC5Is
Never heard of the song, but at least that makes more sense.