Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 pm Well it could really be any country singer, how are we supposed to tell them apart?
I try to listen, but all country songs sound the same. Probably because they're all in the same key. A, good country key.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I made a quick stop at Cumberbatch before realizing it was Eddie Redmayne. He was really annoying that year because he had a rictus grin from when nominations went out till the night of the ceremonies. I missed quite a bit of the show due to family visit but I'll watch the earlier rounds later.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:28 pm BLT -> BLAT -> Avocado was completely alien to me. There are lots of foods that begin with A and can be on a sandwich.
And seriously, why would you want to ruin the perfection that is a BLT by putting anything else on it, much less nasty avocado?
You're dead to me now.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Memory is so weird. I was pretty sure it was the guy who played Hawking; I remembered what he looked like and that his first name was a nickname (in the shortened sense, not something like "Spike" or "Scooter"), but I got absolutely stuck there. When the correct response was revealed, I recognized it but still had the feeling that no amount of time would have been enough for me to pull it.

Oh, I'm with econgator on the topic of BLT's. Avocado? BLAT!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ, just to have something I wrote down Will Smith, thinking he might have won for portraying Muhammad Ali. I briefly considered that the famous person in the clue might have been Steve Jobs but I didn't think the performance won the Oscar and I sure as hell couldn't remember who played him.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

harrumph wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 am For FJ, just to have something I wrote down Will Smith, thinking he might have won for portraying Muhammad Ali.
Will Smith was already playing a high schooler by the end of the 1980s, which means he was at least 20 years old by then.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Today I learned that Leonardo DiCaprio is much older than I thought he was. Literally no chance I'd have pulled out Eddie Redmayne. Just one of those names that sounds familiar, but couldn't have even told you that he was an actor, much less any roles he played.
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 pm In 9-letter words, I had indelible, wavered, then switched to permanent, which fits and would prob have to be accepted
I wish I could've remembered the wording of that clue. I'd said permanent, too (I have trouble remembering the 10-letter indeliable isn't a word). I couldn't think of any reason that permanent would've been wrong, barring some sneaky wording in the clue that I missed.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:30 am
harrumph wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 am For FJ, just to have something I wrote down Will Smith, thinking he might have won for portraying Muhammad Ali.
Will Smith was already playing a high schooler by the end of the 1980s, which means he was at least 20 years old by then.
I kinda knew that, but I did want to write something down. However I did refuse to write down Pasteur as a 16th century Frenchman even though I had no guess on that FJ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

harrumph wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:14 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:30 am
I kinda knew that, but I did want to write something down. However I did refuse to write down Pasteur as a 16th century Frenchman even though I had no guess on that FJ.
Well, yeah. A man has his pride.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Vowela wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:04 am Today I learned that Leonardo DiCaprio is much older than I thought he was. Literally no chance I'd have pulled out Eddie Redmayne. Just one of those names that sounds familiar, but couldn't have even told you that he was an actor, much less any roles he played.
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 pm In 9-letter words, I had indelible, wavered, then switched to permanent, which fits and would prob have to be accepted
I wish I could've remembered the wording of that clue. I'd said permanent, too (I have trouble remembering the 10-letter indeliable isn't a word). I couldn't think of any reason that permanent would've been wrong, barring some sneaky wording in the clue that I missed.
You weren't alone there. The clue was "Impossible to erase or wash away, such as certain inks?" I see no reason they can't accept "permanent."
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:04 pm I guess more work for cheesyty.. did we ever have 2 category runs and not a win?
I found eleven games in the Archive where a contestant ran multiple categories and lost, most recently on October 19, 2016.

skullturf wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:00 pm
skullturf wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm Trivia question: Redmayne was the first person born in the 1980s to win an Oscar specifically for Best Actor, but who was the first person born in the 1980s to win any Oscar?
Anne Hathaway?
Excellent guess, but there's someone earlier
Spoiler
Adele?
Awesome. I really have to find something hard for you. Everytime!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:18 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:20 pm Like two of the three, all I could come up with was diCaprio. Even if you had spotted me Eddie Redm, I wouldn't have come up with it, as to the best of my recollection, I've never heard of this person.
It pays to pay attention to movies, and Eddie Redmayne was nominated for Best Actor in consecutive years. That said, both of those movies probably made less than what the latest Star Wars movie made in a day. So, I'm guessing this will poll fairly low.
Poll low? If they had spotted me, "He won a recent Oscar for portraying Hawking..." I still would have had no clue.

I know Oscars are a weak area for me, one that I'll have to look at a little more when I get The Call. But this was bad for me. Only vaguely aware of a Hawking movie and never heard of the actor. Oh well.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 pm
Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 pm
dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pmthey probably would've used Marty Robbins as the TOM.
NHO Marty Robbins
Robbins is mentioned in the archive twelve times, and although he actually had many other hits, nine of the clues were about "El Paso." Not since 1989 has he been a correct response, though (as opposed to being mentioned in the clue, which happened as recently as 2016).

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
Well it could really be any country singer, how are we supposed to tell them apart?
Ha ha - I think someone needs to rescue country music from the stigma of being too closely associated with TPH.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Vintsanity wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:25 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:24 pm Laredo seems really undervalued for a $1200 clue, especially when the Rio Grande does go through El Paso (and even Brownsville).
I think that clue was more about recognizing an old cowboy ballad rather than knowing the location of a museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L14UKBjC5Is
...or maybe an old Smothers Brothers riff:

https://youtu.be/zIp-trwfkH0
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:34 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:18 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:20 pm Like two of the three, all I could come up with was diCaprio. Even if you had spotted me Eddie Redm, I wouldn't have come up with it, as to the best of my recollection, I've never heard of this person.
It pays to pay attention to movies, and Eddie Redmayne was nominated for Best Actor in consecutive years. That said, both of those movies probably made less than what the latest Star Wars movie made in a day. So, I'm guessing this will poll fairly low.
Poll low? If they had spotted me, "He won a recent Oscar for portraying Hawking..." I still would have had no clue.

I know Oscars are a weak area for me, one that I'll have to look at a little more when I get The Call. But this was bad for me. Only vaguely aware of a Hawking movie and never heard of the actor. Oh well.
Let's face it - Oscars are a tough category, even for movie buffs. The good news is that they tend to focus on a few categories: Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, and sometimes Supporting Actor and Actress. The bad news is that each of those categories has 5 nominees (Best Picture can now have up to 10) so you're looking at memorizing at least 30 different names/titles each year. Moreover, nominees often come from smaller "art house" movies that may have had limited release. Then, it's also good to know which films got the most nominations, or had wins in all the major categories (Silence of the Lambs and It Happened One Night, for example), etc. It's simply a lot to remember, and if you're not into movies, you're SOL.

Which is why they keep going back to that well, particularly on FJ.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

harrumph wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 am For FJ, just to have something I wrote down Will Smith, thinking he might have won for portraying Muhammad Ali. I briefly considered that the famous person in the clue might have been Steve Jobs but I didn't think the performance won the Oscar and I sure as hell couldn't remember who played him.
I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who went that direction -- my response was Michael Fassbender. I knew he had been nominated for Steve Jobs a couple of years ago, but couldn't remember if he'd won.

Looked it up after-the-fact, and discovered I was wrong on THREE counts: Fassbender didn't win the Oscar, he was born in 1977, and Jobs was born in 1955.

Oh, well. When I'm wrong, I'd just as soon be REALLY wrong. There's no extra penalty.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

econgator wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:24 pm Laredo seems really undervalued for a $1200 clue, especially when the Rio Grande does go through El Paso (and even Brownsville).
Pish tosh. The Rio Grande goes past El Paso and Brownsville. It goes through Los Dos Laredos.

Am I safe in assuming I am the only one posting in this thread who has been inside the Republic of the Rio Grande Museum? Or for that matter lived in Laredo?

Actually, to be honest it's not exactly a destination museum: http://webbheritage.org/museums/republi ... de-museum/
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Budphrey wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:10 pm
Pish tosh. The Rio Grande goes past El Paso and Brownsville. It goes through Los Dos Laredos.

Am I safe in assuming I am the only one posting in this thread who has been inside the Republic of the Rio Grande Museum? Or for that matter lived in Laredo?

Actually, to be honest it's not exactly a destination museum: http://webbheritage.org/museums/republi ... de-museum/
I'm not convinced. El Paso lies on the banks of the Rio Grande, with Ciudad Juarez on the other (Mexican) side. Laredo lies on the banks of the Rio Grande, with Nuevo Laredo on the other (Mexican) side. What's the difference? BTW, I have been to El Paso several times; there's a stretch of I-10 that parallels the Rio Grande for a few miles, with a view of some of the poorest parts of Juarez right across the river. Quite depressing.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:34 pm
Budphrey wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:10 pm

I'm not convinced. El Paso lies on the banks of the Rio Grande, with Ciudad Juarez on the other (Mexican) side. Laredo lies on the banks of the Rio Grande, with Nuevo Laredo on the other (Mexican) side. What's the difference? BTW, I have been to El Paso several times; there's a stretch of I-10 that parallels the Rio Grande for a few miles, with a view of some of the poorest parts of Juarez right across the river. Quite depressing.
Umm ... what do you need to be convinced of? If you're doubtful that there's something for the Rio Grande to run through there, let me assure you that Los Dos Laredos is a thing, even if it may not be as culturally cohesive as it was before 9/11 made us irrationally fearful about borders (and the drug trade maybe a little more rationally so). It's basically a metropolis of more than half a million that just happens to have a boundary running through it. Practically everyone who has lived there a few generations has relatives on the other side. The two cities shared a Mexican League baseball team for 19 years (home games split between the two sides). As a reporter I covered a trial once where a witness was testifying in Spanish, with translation. The prosecutor asked, "How long have you lived in Laredo?" Witness said, "Quince años" (fifteen years). She asked, "How long have you lived in the United States?" Witness thought for a second and said, "Ocho meses" (eight months). Los Dos Laredos is a thing and the Rio Grande runs through it.

It's not just the extraordinary isolation of the population center. It's the local history. Laredo was the capital of the short-lived Republic of the Rio Grande, which lasted less than a year after it seceded, thus the name of the museum. When the later Mexican-American War resulted in the current border, most of Laredo's residents were so incensed that they decided they would rather be in Mexico after all, so they moved south of the river and founded Nuevo Laredo. If you define a city as a collection of people and not as a geographic concept, the two cities literally used to be the same city. This is unique on that border, at least for cities of that size.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:26 pm
"Streets of" is the TOM. (Reference to the popular song/movie/TV series).

(Full disclosure, I said "Brownsville", only noticing the TOM after my response but before the answer was revealed.)
I knew there was a TOM there that made me instantly respond Laredo. So now the question is, how did I ever make that connection in the first place? (The world may never know...)

Knew the born in 40s person was Hawking but it took about half the music for me to dredge up Redmayne.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)