Wednesday, June 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Anachronism »

Fitzgerald is the Pavlovian response to that area of the country at that time. I would have figured it was Gatsby as well, given all the Eggs in the Jersey basket.

Country music... getting any is pure luck. Wagged a couple, but anything in that category would seem undervalued to me. I figure it's like asking a non-sports fan who won the last Super Bowl. What seems like a $200 question may seem impossibly hard.

USC is only ambiguous in the state of South Carolina. But abbreviations can be tricky. I once deservedly earned the wrath of a college housemate. Answered the phone and a woman said, "I'm from the UM housing department and wanted to check on an application from X." I said, "she's not here, but she's transferring next semester, so I'm not sure she's interested." Now, maybe a housing employee from the University of Minnesota might want to be more precise when calling someone living in Ann Arbor, but that sure taught me never to offer information about something that's none of my business.

I don't know what it feels like to make these decisions under the pressure of being on stage, but I was surprised that she didn't go for the lockout on a DD $1200 science question. You get one shot at a question that should be easier than FJ. Get it, you win, and win with a lot of money. Maybe you don't do that with a $2000 question or if you're really bad at science.

Then, yes, of course, it's natural to look at the scores and assume 2nd will bet "properly," but in game theory you can't rule out the possibility that 2nd will figure in the chance that you will make that assumption. I still cringe every time 1st doesn't cover 2nd in FJ and if I'm ever 2nd in that position and it's a category I like and 1st seems conservative, I might well go all-in.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All right, yay for watching out of order.

WLT Gothic or Marines at $200?

Yes, I ran the Country Music category. Also ran "Ends in Y".

All but Ruth/Naomi in Biblical Pairs.

NHO any of those similies.

No guess on FJ!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:46 pm NHO any of those similies.
Is the singular of that "simily"?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,200
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Adam and Eve (DD), blazes

Lots of hate for Becca's wager here, but other than the extra dollar, it was a perfectly defensible use of Shoretegy. People seem to forget that the historical get rate for FJ! hovers right around 50%. This season it is significantly worse. Players going into FJ! with the lead have only gotten FJ! right 45.8% of the time, and players in second place have gotten the correct response only 44.0% of the time.
Sprinkles are for winners.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:06 am Oh, and the $200 clue in STYLES OF COUNTRY MUSIC was WAY undervalued. How the heck am I supposed to know which city is connected with a softer-edged studio style called countrypolitan? It could literally be any city in the entire world.
Are you serious or simply parodying TPH's style?

On the off chance you're a serious penguin here, "the Nashville sound", emphasizing midtempo rhythm, weepy strings, and overly-subdued pedal steel guitar, has been a staple of country music for nigh-on fifty years, and reviled by others for just as long. Plus, Nashville has been nationally known as Music City since the '60s. Should have been plenty of TOM there.

And yes, I ran the category despite being a dyed-in-the-wool rock-and-roller, not a country music fan (although Johnny Cash transcends musical boundaries). Maybe because all of the childhood Saturday afternoons spent with my parents and the television (four channels of choice) tuned to The Porter Wagoner Show :o Oh well, at least his Nudie suits were spectacular :lol:
Last edited by cthulhu on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:44 pm Lots of hate for Becca's wager here, but other than the extra dollar, it was a perfectly defensible use of Shoretegy. People seem to forget that the historical get rate for FJ! hovers right around 50%. This season it is significantly worse. Players going into FJ! with the lead have only gotten FJ! right 45.8% of the time, and players in second place have gotten the correct response only 44.0% of the time.
EDITED BY MOD (Spoiler below discusses Thursday show):

I thought it was interesting that
Spoiler
Phil took a different strategy on his second day, and that Debb left herself open to him going all in. Maybe he was counting on her thinking he was going to bet a ton - but if so, it would have made more sense for him to bet nothing. As it was, that would have given us a tiebreaker. Funny that two people left themselves open to that in two days.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:33 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:06 am Oh, and the $200 clue in STYLES OF COUNTRY MUSIC was WAY undervalued. How the heck am I supposed to know which city is connected with a softer-edged studio style called countrypolitan? It could literally be any city in the entire world.
Are you serious or simply parodying TPH's style?
It's like you don't even know me.
cthulhu wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:33 pmOn the off chance you're a serious penguin here, "the Nashville sound", emphasizing midtempo rhythm, weepy strings, and overly-subdued pedal steel guitar, has been a staple of country music for nigh-on fifty years, and reviled by others for just as long. Plus, Nashville has been nationally known as Music City since the '60s. Should have been plenty of TOM there.
Right, because everyone knows that.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

skullturf wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:08 am I wasn't seriously expecting a "Be more specific" on USC (University of Southern California), and I'm fine with them not asking for one (given that the clue mentioned the Bruins and the Trojans, and that "University of Southern California" has so many syllables), but one could argue that if we're being pedantic, they "should" ask for a BMS in this case, since the University of South Carolina is also commonly known by those initials.

Again, I don't take issue with it in this case, but it illustrates that the show doesn't seem to have a 100% consistent one-size-fits-all BMS policy.
Check this out
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/ ... aaf-274469
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

My gut on the quote from the Gospel of Luke was to shepherds. I had no idea about Joseph and Mary and looked it up later and saw no it's wrong simply wrong.