Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL MUSIC

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Scholars think this 1810 piano piece was dedicated to Elisabeth Röckel or Therese Malfatti, a student of the composer

Debb Johnson: 9200-5000=4200
Melanie Glassco: 7800-7700=100
Peter Guekguezian: 17600+801=18401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
"Für Elise" (Debb – Moonlight Sonata) (Melanie – Claire de Lune)

Daily Doubles
Peter: minus 400+1000
Melanie: 7000-4000
Debb: 4200+3000

Coryats
Debb: 7400
Melanie: 11800
Peter: 17400

Combined: 36,600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After the opening stumper for Indianan Quayle, I sprung the triple trap door since Melanie not knowing it and clamming was just as bad as the Truman & Johnson misses. It turns out I was a little hasty in judging the players since they worked up to a decent 36,600 combined Coryat.

When Debb served up the “GERT” rebound to close the game I was disappointed since that greatly changed the FJ! round dynamics.

Last week I needed a Friday solve to hit 60% for the week and this week I got one to salvage 40% for the week even though I was too chicken to match Peter in placing the umlaut.

I am easily amused and this was my favorite moment (late DJ! round scoreboard spoiler) of the game: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... JaVlE/view
BobF

Post by BobF »

Golf on my J! channel tonight, so I'll just chime in with instaget. I'm 100% on clues I saw from the June 16th, 2017 episode (after being 0% on the June 15th, 2017 episode).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

theFJguy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:12 pm Debb Johnson: 9200-5000=4200
Aaaaaaargh! The most basic and simplest situation in Final Jeopardy! wagering is the Crush. I don't know why, but it really bugs me when players get that one wrong.

And this way it's not always the case that my post in a thread indicates a Shore's Conjecture game. --Bob
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:13 pm After the opening stumper for Indianan Quayle, I sprung the triple trap door since Melanie not knowing it and clamming was just as bad as the Truman & Johnson misses.
Presumably she thought it was 50/50 between Quayle and Pence.

Incidentally I wonder whether Peter was thinking of Richard M. Johnson, from Beargrass, Kentucky, which is at least close to Indiana. Andrew and Lyndon would make no sense at all.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

The start to the game with Veep category set expectations low. However, the players rebounded very well.
It's ok not to know the timeframes of British Kings and queens, but George 3 should not be one of them. Bad miss on DD.
That Cosmo category was 0fer. Expecting some buzz on Twitter.
Someone really really likes Young Frankenstein on the writing team.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Wasn't there an FJ question on Dreyfuss within the last couple of months as well?

I was surprised at the two misses on today's FJ - in the absence of any other clues, the name Elisabeth was rather a giveaway.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 pm Wasn't there an FJ question on Dreyfuss within the last couple of months as well?

I was surprised at the two misses on today's FJ - in the absence of any other clues, the name Elisabeth was rather a giveaway.
Did you take the Central Time Zone online test? That might be why you remember Dreyfus.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

BobF wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:36 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 pm Wasn't there an FJ question on Dreyfuss within the last couple of months as well?

Did you take the Central Time Zone online test? That might be why you remember Dreyfus.
After a quick Google search, it was the April 21 FJ. "Published in L’Aurore on January 13, 1898, it caused its author to be convicted of libel." (J'accuse) So not a direct mention of Dreyfuss, but topical.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:13 pm After the opening stumper for Indianan Quayle, I sprung the triple trap door since Melanie not knowing it and clamming was just as bad as the Truman & Johnson misses.
Not to mention the "-mandering" TOM that flew over everyone's head. I'm chalking that up to nerves considering these were very early clues and they seemed to find their footing, but, yeah, I started not cheering for anyone for a while.

Also I'm thinking with the non-progressive nature of those etiquette clues and the "tramp stamp" one if Alex became a writer ... :?

Any way I can keep Zola and Dreyfus straight? I knew that clue about the Devil's Island prisoner was about that incident (French, 1890s), but I always get mixed up which was the accused and which was the defender. (I also long have had problems keeping Macbeth and Hamlet straight but I'm starting to get better at that.)

Miserable week of getting FJs, so grateful for this near-instaget.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:55 pm
BobF wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:36 pm

After a quick Google search, it was the April 21 FJ. "Published in L’Aurore on January 13, 1898, it caused its author to be convicted of libel." (J'accuse) So not a direct mention of Dreyfuss, but topical.
Also add the FJ from the second game of the season: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5403
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Mathew5000 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:40 pm
Presumably she thought it was 50/50 between Quayle and Pence.
Yeah, I nearly automatically said Pence off Indiana. Not remembering Pence ever saying anything like that made me consider other options and I got to Quayle.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bob78164 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:23 pm
theFJguy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:12 pm Debb Johnson: 9200-5000=4200
Aaaaaaargh! The most basic and simplest situation in Final Jeopardy! wagering is the Crush. I don't know why, but it really bugs me when players get that one wrong.

And this way it's not always the case that my post in a thread indicates a Shore's Conjecture game. --Bob
HAH! When I saw your name earlier, I sure did think there'd be a Shore's game :lol: Not sure what to say about that wager. Her 5900 wager yesterday was terrible as well, but at least I could see the (fawlty) logic; tonight, 5000 wasn't even enough to cover Melanie :roll:

Instaget FJ, Fur Elise was one of my precalls and I had it the second I saw Elisabeth. Kinda shocked it was only 1/3.

"-mandering" + VP, a TS? Toys + MAT and HAS, a TS? Ok then.

WTF was that Cosmo $#*!?

Also, are those of us watching in the 7pm slot getting J! last? Still kinda weird to log on at 7:28 and see 13 replies already :lol:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:36 pm Also, are those of us watching in the 7pm slot getting J! last? Still kinda weird to log on at 7:28 and see 13 replies already :lol:
Normally I watch at 7 pm, but as it turns out, there's another station in Kansas City that shows it at 3:30. My wife (who is currently out of town) is always watching Dr. Phil at that time so even in the rare event I'm off work that early I'd normally never get to watch that early.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget. 45R. LT: Elbridge Gerry, Dan Quayle (IN), Johnny the Human Torch > F4 (Really! AM I AS OLD AS STAN LEE!?!); Heliotrope > Bloodstone; 1663 > Charles II (The Merry Monarch > N&S Carolina) , following the Interregnum after beheading of his dad Charles I in 1649 and subsequent rule by Oliver Cromwell, self-styled 'Lord Protector', an appointment for life (Gee, isn't that just ... another king?!) --> 1660.

IMHO this is a key period of British history that frequently appears and should be in your core get material. Hapy Wknd! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: Fantastic Four, Mattel/Hasbro, Dan Quayle, Elbridge Gerry. So of course I get those two but not the guy who's currently VP...

WLT Bangladesh, grapefruit, goose, or A Tale of Two Cities in the top box?

Mary Tyler Moore Show was the only one of those TV shows I even recognized.

That Cosmo category was entirely trash.

NHO Shake n Bake.

Elizabeth -> Elise -> Für Elise? Sure, why not.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:17 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:36 pm Also, are those of us watching in the 7pm slot getting J! last? Still kinda weird to log on at 7:28 and see 13 replies already :lol:
Normally I watch at 7 pm, but as it turns out, there's another station in Kansas City that shows it at 3:30. My wife (who is currently out of town) is always watching Dr. Phil at that time so even in the rare event I'm off work that early I'd normally never get to watch that early.
I am Central Time Zone this week. Shows are typically on between 330 and 430 Central.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:00 pm Any way I can keep Zola and Dreyfus straight? I knew that clue about the Devil's Island prisoner was about that incident (French, 1890s), but I always get mixed up which was the accused and which was the defender. (I also long have had problems keeping Macbeth and Hamlet straight but I'm starting to get better at that.)
Maybe don't think of his as Dreyfus, but Captain Dreyfus?

Also, Zola was nominated for the first two Nobel prizes in literature, so that'll maybe keep him in your head as a writer?