Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by reddpen »

Of 26 people in A Continental, one got a six-pack on MD24: slam. So I'm out of the running, but SterlacciJ, Woof and FleitasC are 2, 3 and 5. Bring it home, guys!
In and out of the pool four times
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I beat MeliaD! I beat MeliaD!

(by forfeit)
Sprinkles are for winners.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:01 pm
OSXpert wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 am I Kosman Koined between Wings and The Jazz Singer, not because I've seen either but because those are the only two films from around then that I know.
Unfortunately, that's a RTFQ error. The question said "Jack Robin, formerly Jakie Rabinowitz, was the title character of what popular 1927 film?"
Oh no!! Yep, I should have read through it another time.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I don't know that I've ever said "Thank you, Cherry Poppin' Daddies" before, but there you go.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

jfrumkin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:55 am I don't know that I've ever said "Thank you, Cherry Poppin' Daddies" before, but there you go.
Yeah, I got as far as "suit" thinking that question through, but didn't get to the right answer. After submitting I basically sang the whole song.

Still hanging on to the last place above relegation: I need a win or tie, or no win by the person trailing me to avoid it.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

reddpen wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:03 pm Trust me when I say you can come back from being relegated. It might take more than a season, but it can happen. After seven seasons in A (LL52-58), I once dropped from A to C and then bounced back to A (with stops in B each way) in the next six seasons.
I'm nearing the end of my run in A Horizon, having mathematically clinched relegation early this week. No regrets: I look at this season as the equivalent of having a cup of coffee in the majors.

Looking forward to LL74!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

After a string of 12 match days without a defeat and working up to the #3 position in my rundle, the anticipated slow fade occurred this past week, going 0-3-2 and slipping to 6th place with one day to go. Mathematically, I could still finish in the top 4 and get promoted to D rundle for LL74...but i will need some help to get there. It's been an exciting run and I have already set a personal record for most correct answers in a season but it just hasn't been enough in LL73.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:35 am Of 26 people in A Continental, one got a six-pack on MD24: slam. So I'm out of the running, but SterlacciJ, Woof and FleitasC are 2, 3 and 5. Bring it home, guys!

Thanks! A bit of a Skumdog Millionaire moment with FleitasC: we own all of the Mr Man books and I've read them with my son multiple times; my bio data also doesn't indicate that my mother was an opera singer, so Chris obligingly gave me 3 and 2 for them :mrgreen: MD25 should prove to be a momentous day, with me going up against ScottMD, against whom I am 0-3-1 all time :shock:
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

rpg wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:04 pm Good luck everyone on the new season! After eking my way into B my rookie season last time, I have only two goals: don't get relegated, and increase my TCA. I'll ambitiously set a goal of increasing by 5 TCA each season, or 20 per year. That puts me targeting 88 this season.
Well, looks like I've successfully avoided relegation somehow, even though by TCA I'm pretty much the very bottom of the rundle, thanks to one of the highest DEs and one of the lowest CAAs in the rundle. Next season I should hope to be so lucky. I'm not hitting the 88 TCA mark, but I might still increase my TCA from last season if I can manage 4+ on Monday.

I was delighted to see the Renee Fleming question since I was actually there at the last Rosenkavalier performance in the question. But my opponent gave me 0 for it anyway.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

rpg wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:22 pm I was delighted to see the Renee Fleming question since I was actually there at the last Rosenkavalier performance in the question. But my opponent gave me 0 for it anyway.
I'm kicking myself for not coming up with her name. She was the first opera performer to sing the National Anthem before a Super Bowl.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:35 pm
rpg wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:22 pm I was delighted to see the Renee Fleming question since I was actually there at the last Rosenkavalier performance in the question. But my opponent gave me 0 for it anyway.
I'm kicking myself for not coming up with her name. She was the first opera performer to sing the National Anthem before a Super Bowl.
She had a performance at a venue near where I work, and I saw her poster about 150 times in the last year. Should have realized she was a super big deal, or at least a famous opera singer who is still alive.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

jfrumkin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:55 am I don't know that I've ever said "Thank you, Cherry Poppin' Daddies" before, but there you go.
Same here. If only it could have been accompanied by "throw(ing) back a bottle of beer."
Sprinkles are for winners.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

I submitted with a low grade fever and thought that "zoot suit riot" would be a great BWA entry. It was the only clothing riot I was aware of. That song makes so much more sense now. Good luck to everyone on MD25!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

cmp146 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 am
I submitted with a low grade fever and thought that "zoot suit riot" would be a great BWA entry. It was the only clothing riot I was aware of. That song makes so much more sense now. Good luck to everyone on MD25!
I was at a trivia night at some point in the past month where I found out the Zoot Suit Riot was a real thing, so this was an instaget only because it didn't come up earlier in the season.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I wanted to wait to say anything until after I submitted for MD25, but I go into today in 3rd in the rundle, within 2 points of 1st. People have been complaining that this season was harder than usual, but I guess it's harder in my favor, because I've already beaten my personal record for TMP and am currently 3 shy on TCA. I am also the only person in my league to be on both the Sandra and Maso leaderboards (although gnash / Sven has been smoking everybody on defense this season at .855). This is the highest position I've had in a rundle since I finished second in my rookie season (to woof) and then won my B rundle (on the last day).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am People have been complaining that this season was harder than usual, but I guess it's harder in my favor, because I've already beaten my personal record for TMP and am currently 3 shy on TCA.
I only have one other season to gauge off of, but my TCA is lower than before, but so are others, and since I"m in Rundle E now instead of Rundle R, I've managed to do better. I guess it helps that I've learned to slow down and try to tease out more answers. Also, I have more defensive info for my opponents as I was pretty horrible at DE in Rundle R (.500)??

Started the day in 5th place, the last promotion spot up to D. I'm happy to be able to control my own destiny so to speak. Now it just comes down to how my opponent does.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am People have been complaining that this season was harder than usual, but I guess it's harder in my favor, because I've already beaten my personal record for TMP and am currently 3 shy on TCA.
Same here. I set a new TCA record on MD 24. I'll need three match points on MD 25 to set a new personal best in TMP.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I, on the other hand, have seen my QPct drop 79 points from last season and to the lowest it's been since LL64.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 am
Same here. I set a new TCA record on MD 24. I'll need three match points on MD 25 to set a new personal best in TMP.
In this season, arguably my most successful since my Rookie season, I have a totally unremarkable TMP and TCA, a subpar DE and a normal CAA... yet I am in second place for a Maso (behind ElendilPickle) and tied in TMP for the lead in my Rundle. I have that feeling that I sometimes get when waiting for a train to go: seeing a train next to ours start to move, yet feeling as if my own was moving :mrgreen:
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

This was my worst season yet in terms of TCA, so I'm on team "this was hard". I had a lot of 50-50s swing the wrong and a couple tough losses, but I'm not relegated so all is not lost.