New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was not until uploading my tie photo in another thread that I remembered I had a video clip from the 10/15/87 game to share: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... FkYzg/view

I did not include anything about it in the archived game because I did not know how much or how little to include for such a strange and lengthy sequence. RKS or other archivists are welcome to decide how to handle it.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm It was not until uploading my tie photo in another thread that I remembered I had a video clip from the 10/15/87 game to share: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... FkYzg/view
I love that! Never realized that Alex himself would fix the IT glitches in the early days.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Mathew5000 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:42 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm It was not until uploading my tie photo in another thread that I remembered I had a video clip from the 10/15/87 game to share: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... FkYzg/view
I love that! Never realized that Alex himself would fix the IT glitches in the early days.
"Percussive maintenance".

(I think Alex's part was just for show, to be honest. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Judith Seeger set is complete with her game against Mark Allen & Tim Dicarlo: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5679

Player pics:
Spoiler

I went with Dicarlo for Tim's last name. If there is a reason to make it DiCarlo then let me know.

Whether 1987 or 2017 the wagers in the FJ! round can be a little unpredictable.

Judith averaged a respectable 20.4R for her five games, so too bad she was not able to qualify for the TOC.

This was a 1987 clue in THE MIDDLE EAST: Cleopatra ruled from this port, now Egypt's 2nd-largest city

It got a 2017 edition in ANCIENT ROME in today's 6/15/17 game:
Spoiler

With a population of more than a half million, this Egyptian seaport was the second-largest city in the empire
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added Tom Lawrence defending against Fred Bernstein & Dale Armstrong: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5681

Color was not working on the tape at the time the players were introduced:
Spoiler

I don't know if I have Tom Lawrence #3 in my collection, but I'm curious if he was able to match the pace of 27R he had in his first two games.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:12 pm I added Tom Lawrence defending against Fred Bernstein & Dale Armstrong: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5681

Color was not working on the tape at the time the players were introduced:
Spoiler

I don't know if I have Tom Lawrence #3 in my collection, but I'm curious if he was able to match the pace of 27R he had in his first two games.
Can you add some more Season 12 games? It's at 98 episodes now and I would really like to see it pass the 100 episode mark..
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Hello all,

I have a question about a clue in a season 1 game:

This note is the highest denomination in circulation in the U.S.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5587

The answer is $10,000, but Wikipedia says that the U.S. did not circulate anything above the $100 bill past 1969. Could anyone clear this up for me? Many thanks!
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

JeuParti wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:20 pm Hello all,

I have a question about a clue in a season 1 game:

This note is the highest denomination in circulation in the U.S.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5587

The answer is $10,000, but Wikipedia says that the U.S. did not circulate anything above the $100 bill past 1969. Could anyone clear this up for me? Many thanks!
The Treasury Department's Denominations FAQs page says this:
What denominations of currency notes is the Treasury Department no longer printing?

On July 14, 1969, David M. Kennedy, the 60th Secretary of the Treasury, and officials at the Federal Reserve Board announced that they would immediately stop distributing currency in denominations of $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000. Production of these denominations stopped during World War II. Their main purpose was for bank transfer payments. With the arrival of more secure transfer technologies, however, they were no longer needed for that purpose. While these notes are legal tender and may still be found in circulation today, the Federal Reserve Banks remove them from circulation and destroy them as they are received.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

kingskip wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 pm Can you add some more Season 12 games? It's at 98 episodes now and I would really like to see it pass the 100 episode mark..
I want to work on regular play games for now and I don't know of any S12 games I have other than tournament ones. I'll keep your request in mind and perhaps I could do some of the semifinal/finals games for the tourneys to get the season count over 100.

For the 6/19-23 week I will do:

9/30/87
10/10/88
11/23/88
11/23/89
9/30/91
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

At least that gets Season 5 over the century mark.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5680

This is one of the animfan1 games with date issues. I opted to use the archive date, with a note that it may not be correct.

Adrienne Bell vs. Steve Baker vs. Debbie Sherry, from December 1986.

I'm always on the lookout for new entries to what I call the "Jeopardy! Canon", that is, facts or names from old games that do not otherwise appear in the J-Archive, especially as correct responses. Martha Davis (and her band) was already in there (from a clue from just 2 months ago, interestingly enough), as was the singer of "I'm Not Lisa" who is/was married to Waylon Jennings. The woman from Fleetwood Mac who isn't Stevie Nicks makes it in now, tho.
Spoiler
Martha Davis was with the Motels.
Jessi Colter was the Mrs. Waylon Jennings who sang "I'm Not Lisa".
Christine McVie was in Fleetwood Mac.

Here's "I'm Not Lisa" if you're not familiar with it (I wasn't).
---

I'd say you can leave this one out of your flashcards,
U.S.A. for $500: In 1986, this state celebrated 150th anniversary of its admittance to the union
Spoiler
What is Arkansas?
but I guess you never know.

---

DJ had a GAME SHOWS category they didn't finish, but it adds Summer Bartholomew and Celebrity Sweepstakes to the J-Canon too. Check out Trebek throwing shade at Sale of the Century.

Clue of the game is PREACHERS for $200 (DJ), a you gotta know it clue with a bit of work-it-out-ability:
Jean Simmons played preacher Sharon Falconer in '60 film version of this Sinclair Lewis novel
Spoiler
What was "Elmer Gantry"? Sinclair Lewis + preacher.
---

I had quite a bit of free time last night, so I also finished off (I think for real this time. Please let me know if I'm still missing any.) transferring the last of Ronnie's Archive over, November 4, 6, & 7. (Start there, and click through.) The November 6 game has 2 "current events" style categories, one in each round, so we can also welcome Brian Dunkleman to the J-Canon. Congratulate him, next time you're at the drive-thru at Wendy's.

November 7 has a scoring correction between rounds that wasn't entirely clear, so I made my best guess. If any of my co-archivists have the actual game on tape, could you check that out, please? (And while you've got the tape out, did Scott really answer just "George H. Bush" for EATER'S DIGEST for $400 (J!)? I rejected a correction suggestion for that just now (how on earth did you all figure out I'd loaded this game last night???), but it certainly could be wrong.

Have a great weekend, and Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:43 pm
November 7 has a scoring correction between rounds that wasn't entirely clear, so I made my best guess. If any of my co-archivists have the actual game on tape, could you check that out, please? (And while you've got the tape out, did Scott really answer just "George H. Bush" for EATER'S DIGEST for $400 (J!)? I rejected a correction suggestion for that just now (how on earth did you all figure out I'd loaded this game last night???), but it certainly could be wrong.

Have a great weekend, and Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there.
I checked and I do not have the Nov. 7 game on tape since that was a fall Friday, delayed to Saturday because of MNF and then preempted because of Saturday college football.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1542

From Pannoni, A game that originally aired 15 years ago tomorrow, June 19, 2002. Meagan Shelton vs. Kirik Arata vs. Erin McGrew Herndon.

Erin is introduced as an "actor and musician". Here's her IMDB page.

I was happier when I didn't know what a "Mark Special" was. 14 incorrect responses to enter. Erin only just got out of the negative on the last clue. I myself fell for the neg-bait at WORLD CAPITALS for $1000:
The Georgetown section of Washington, D.C., was named for this ruler in 1751
Spoiler
Who is George II? (Not George III, though as a bottom-row clue, I should have suspected.)
If anyone has a better guess for Meagan's response for TCHOTCHKES for $1000 (starting at about 8:45 in the video), please let me know.

The Spinal Tap theme categories in DJ were fun.

Clues of the game will be 2 triple stumpers, one from each round. For the Jeopardy! Round, let's have FOOTBALL for $1000:
Leading the Redskins in 1988, he became the first black quarterback to win the Super Bowl
Spoiler
Who is Doug Williams?
And from Double Jeopardy!, STONEHENGE for $2000:
From the Latin for "boundary", it's the technical name for the stone crosspieces atop Stonehenge's pillars
Spoiler
What is a lintel? (The same as a crosspiece above a door.)
The contestants also missed the major clue in the video for GIMME SOME MONEY for $2000; the word "rand" on the bills pictured might have led someone to
Spoiler
South Africa
, especially given "African" was in the clue.

Will I get to another game tonight? I guess we'll see.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:52 am http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1542

If anyone has a better guess for Meagan's response for TCHOTCHKES for $1000 (starting at about 8:45 in the video), please let me know.
What I heard for Meagan's guess:
Spoiler
Staffordshire
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:59 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:52 am http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1542

What I heard for Meagan's guess:
Spoiler
Staffordshire
Good enough for me.

I knocked out a second Pannoni game, April 5, 2002, Carol Schlau vs. Manoj Mate vs. Bill Alston.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1737

Gonna make this quick. First, the Darwin Awrds is not just "News of the Weird"; somebody has to die to make it a true "Darwin Award". Second, Manoj was the victim of a bad judgment in DJ!. Check out 15:15 of the video, and tell me if you don't agree that Manoj got his full answer out in time before the buzzer.

Clue of the game, let's make it THEIR LAST TOP 10 HIT for $2000, which I missed:
"The Winner Takes It All" (1980)
Spoiler
Who are ABBA?
Wagering police are on high alert after that Final Jeopardy performance. Yikes.

Good night everyone.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 am Gonna make this quick. First, the Darwin Awrds is not just "News of the Weird"; somebody has to die to make it a true "Darwin Award". Second, Manoj was the victim of a bad judgment in DJ!. Check out 15:15 of the video, and tell me if you don't agree that Manoj got his full answer out in time before the buzzer.
Well, some of them (probably $400, possibly $800, and *maybe* $1000) could very well have died. But I agree, they seem to be taking the popular view rather than the actual definition (which, by the way, not only requires death, but the "honouree" could also have survived but prevented themselves from reproducing, to qualify.)

As to the judgement, the buzzer was clearly after, but the ordinal number was after the lights went out, and is possibly what Alex (and the judges) referred to, which is probably the basis for their case. I agree that it's questionable to call it that way, though, as they usually go by buzzer (which also, usually sounds right as the lights expire), and I also think that Bill shouldn't' have been given a shot after that (same with other times this has happened), after Manoj's answer, Alex should have just explained why it wasn't taken, the clue is declared a "dead ball", and the game continues.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 am http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1737
Bill chose his board handle for a reason.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 am http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1737
To his credit, Bill joined the board after his FJ flameout aired in order to address the WP's charges. As I recall, he said he went all-in based on his confidence in the category, and had no regrets.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

There are still two more games from the 2003-04 season that need to be completed:

September 19, 2003 (only the intro is in so far)
October 30, 2003 (only the intro is in so far)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 am
Those are some really tough top boxes IMO. I didn't get a single one of them right except Animals and Last Top 10 Hit. The "Not a Pope" one in particular seems extremely shot-in-the-dark-ish. Decimal for $400 was also very obscure, given the stand and stare.

On the other hand, I got all but "honey bear" in the animal category.