The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:03 pm It should come as no surprise that I have very little suspension of disbelief.
You should take it into the shop. Maybe they can give you better shocks.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

trainman wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:00 am Yeah, it all falls apart when you start examining the idea from a realistic perspective, which is why it will remain a fantasy, much like the one where Aubrey Plaza shows up at my apartment with a pepperoni pizza.
I'm trying to figure this one out. I get Aubrey Plaza, if she's your type. I get pizza (far too much of it for my own good). I just don't see how they go together. I doubt she has eaten an entire slice in her adult life. I guess the fantasy could be in witnessing the moment one of those Hollywood chicklets says, "screw it, I'm going full Bridget Jones, damn the repercussions..."

At any rate, the TPH shtick is entertaining, isn't it? Probably more a parody of "does a group of strangers really care whether I know one piece of trivia and not another" than anything else. I fall victim to it myself, much like the guys who post on our football forum thinking we care about how their fantasy teams performed last weekend. "Yeah, buddy, Joe Flacco has a personal grudge against you..."
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Anachronism wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:23 pm I'm trying to figure this one out. I get Aubrey Plaza, if she's your type. I get pizza (far too much of it for my own good). I just don't see how they go together. I doubt she has eaten an entire slice in her adult life. I guess the fantasy could be in witnessing the moment one of those Hollywood chicklets says, "screw it, I'm going full Bridget Jones, damn the repercussions..."
The idea is that I like food, and I like attractive women, so if an attractive woman were to bring food to my apartment, I could have both without having to do anything. (If you don't think Audrey Plaza eats pizza, then feel free to substitute the name of a different Hollywood actress who you think does eat pizza.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:10 amthe name of a different Hollywood actress who you think does eat pizza.)
You mean Hollywood actresses eat?!?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:01 am
Those are some really tough top boxes IMO. I didn't get a single one of them right except Animals and Last Top 10 Hit. The "Not a Pope" one in particular seems extremely shot-in-the-dark-ish. Decimal for $400 was also very obscure, given the stand and stare.

On the other hand, I got all but "honey bear" in the animal category.
San Fernando Valley is The Valley in Los Angeles. "Stigma" is a far less plausible pope name than the other options. You've never heard of tying sheets together to climb out a window? It's a well known fact that only twelve people have gone to the moon. I'll give you that the brief clue "Of Nottingham or Lobo" might be tough to parse even given the "ff" prompt in the category name, but Sheriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood nemesis) and Sheriff Lobo (TV title character) aren't obscure. A fifteenth-century Spanish royal couple is only ever going to be one pair on J!. I've handled countless batteries; it's inevitable that I would have read them at some point. People familiar with the Bond franchise know that he only got married in one installment; I got it by naming the only Bond film/book with "On" in the title. And the first time I ever heard of a court recess, it stuck with me because it reminded me of getting to go outside at school.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought choosing between Sixtus IV, V, and VI should have been the top box.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 am I thought choosing between Sixtus IV, V, and VI should have been the top box.
That could be solved logically with no knowledge of papal history. I like it. (However, there have been discontinuous regnal numbers for a few reasons; for example, there was confusion at some point about how many Popes John there had been, and XX ended up getting skipped. There are also a few name-number combinations that were used by antipopes and never reused, and the second Pope Martin became IV because Marinus I and II were considered to be Martin II and III at the time.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anachronism wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:23 pm
trainman wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:00 am Yeah, it all falls apart when you start examining the idea from a realistic perspective, which is why it will remain a fantasy, much like the one where Aubrey Plaza shows up at my apartment with a pepperoni pizza.
I'm trying to figure this one out. I get Aubrey Plaza, if she's your type. I get pizza (far too much of it for my own good). I just don't see how they go together. I doubt she has eaten an entire slice in her adult life.
Who says SHE needs to eat the pizza? Aubrey Plaza is there and the pizza is there. What more do you need? :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 am I thought choosing between Sixtus IV, V, and VI should have been the top box.
That could be solved logically with no knowledge of papal history. I like it.
What logic is there to be had?
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 am"Stigma" is a far less plausible pope name than the other options.
[citation needed]
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 amSheriff Lobo (TV title character) aren't obscure
I would say that it is obscure, since The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo hasn't been aired since 1981 and none of the actors in it were big names. It also has only one other hit in the archive. And its obscurity led me away from matching Nottingham to Sheriff, because I figured with something that obscure, it'd have to be something else.
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 amI've handled countless batteries; it's inevitable that I would have read them at some point.
So have I, but it's often in such tiny print that it's easy not to notice at all.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:29 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 am
That could be solved logically with no knowledge of papal history. I like it.
What logic is there to be had?
Well, if there was a Sixtus V and VI, but not a Sixtus IV, there would have had to be a really weird reason for it. Occam's Razor it out and it's 99% likely to be the right answer.
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 amI've handled countless batteries; it's inevitable that I would have read them at some point.
So have I, but it's often in such tiny print that it's easy not to notice at all.
If it's a triple stumper, I'm willing to side with TPH on this one.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 am"Stigma" is a far less plausible pope name than the other options.
[citation needed]
It's an English word with a negative connotation. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/stigma
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm
[citation needed]
It's an English word with a negative connotation. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/stigma
So? There was also a pope called Hilarius. And the other option in the clue, "Sisinnius", seems like a trap too since it's got "Sissy" in it. Another word with a negative connotation.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:37 pm
If it's a triple stumper, I'm willing to side with TPH on this one.
I think it's still a good top row for the time (2002) and just bad luck it was a triple stumper. Today? Bottom row (everything's basically rechargeable). 80s-90s? Even slimmer chance it's a TS. Next decade, they'll show a -picture- of a AA battery and it'll be a triple stumper.

Ahh, progress! *nostalgically licks a 9V*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm
[citation needed]
So? There was also a pope called Hilarius. And the other option in the clue, "Sisinnius", seems like a trap too since it's got "Sissy" in it. Another word with a negative connotation.
And you call our explanations a long way to go. You could have focused on "sin" within Sisinnius, but you got greedy in your straw-grasping efforts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Laid down the law under George Bush - That is going to be Attorney General as it makes much less sense for any other Secretary one might consider. If someone wants to freeze and have Chief Justice in the mix then fine, watch another podium light up.

If you speak Eigo (& you do), you speak this

The "you" is any of the contestants. The only language that is guaranteed to be spoken by the contestants is of course English. It does not matter if no one has ever seen "Eigo" before and if it perhaps does not look like English.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 pm Laid down the law under George Bush - That is going to be Attorney General as it makes much less sense for any other Secretary one might consider.
Huh?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 pmIf you speak Eigo (& you do), you speak this

The "you" is any of the contestants. The only language that is guaranteed to be spoken by the contestants is of course English. It does not matter if no one has ever seen "Eigo" before and if it perhaps does not look like English.
I took that as a general "you" and not "you the contestants specifically".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How about "you" as "the entire viewing audience"?
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

"Laid down the law" -- The United States Attorney General (A.G.) is the head of the United States Department of Justice and is the chief law enforcement officer and chief lawyer of the United States government.

"Eigo" looks enough like the word "English", and generally speaking one needs to be fluent in English in order to be a contestant on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The clue only says "If you speak it ,you're doing this." No indication that a "you" is specific.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm
[citation needed]
And you call our explanations a long way to go. You could have focused on "sin" within Sisinnius, but you got greedy in your straw-grasping efforts.
Still. There were some silly names on popes. "Stigma" is hardly a can't-miss.