Monday, June 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AIRLINES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On June 17, 1929 this airline’s first passenger flight left Dallas, making stops at Shreveport, Monroe & Jackson

Peter Guekguezian: 3600+3598=7198 (2x = $25,599)
Jeremy Fassler: 6400-801=5599
Barbara Fox: 1800-1800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Delta (Peter – Southwest Delta) (Jeremy – TWA) (Barbara – American Airlines)

Daily Doubles
Peter: 2400-2400
Peter: 4200-4200
Peter: 7200-4800

Coryats
Peter: 15000
Jeremy: 6400
Barbara: 1800

Combined: 23,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was quite the rollercoaster ride for Peter with 3 missed DDs including a phrasing lapse. mbclev will sleep better knowing it did not cost Peter the game.

Jeremy on the other hand will have nightmares of clue 30 of the DJ! round when he turned a scoreboard of:
3600 & 7200
into
3600 & 6400 with his hurricane miss

My reaction to this game producing a repeat champ was thinking of this clip:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

Like Peter I also had an initial misstep on the FJ! clue as I had the cities for the stops as “Eastern” of Texas. Fortunately, I had plenty of time to realize the different geographic importance of those cities.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Candidates in the pool - be gracious when you watch today's game. That was a total train wreck. Yes, those final scores are correct and for the most part they cleared the boards too.
Oh Peter - calm down. Jeremy showed the difference between playing at home vs. actual studio - negs do cost the game.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:58 am
Like Peter I also had an initial misstep on the FJ! clue as I had the cities for the stops as “Eastern” of Texas. Fortunately, I had plenty of time to realize the different geographic importance of those cities.
I was thinking international airlines off the category, but with the clue - I took the Southwest detour to the actual answer. Today it clicked, another day might not. I also thought Alex gave away the answer little early with his comments (after the think music). He normally leaves a little suspense.
doihavetoreally

Jeremy on the other hand will have nightmares of clue 30 of the DJ! round when he turned a scoreboard of:
3600 & 7200
into
Didn't Peter give a wrong response to fall to 3600 in the first place? Peter dodged a game today. He did everything to lose the game.
Last edited by doihavetoreally on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

doihavetoreally wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:15 pm
3600 & 7200
into
Didn't Peter gave a wrong response to fall to 3600 in the first place? Peter dodged a game today. He did everything to lose the game.
All three players missed it. After clue 29 it was:
Peter: 4400
Jeremy: 7200
Barbara (long-winded story teller): 2600

Peter missed first. It would be cool if he did it on purpose to try to set up the possible tie scenario. Jeremy missed second to lose his tie-lock and Barbara had the third incorrect guess.
doihavetoreally

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:38 pm
Barbara (long-winded story teller): 2600
Why did you have to do that? Who'll clean my computer now? :)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:58 am That was quite the rollercoaster ride for Peter with 3 missed DDs including a phrasing lapse. mbclev will sleep better knowing it did not cost Peter the game.

3600 & 7200
into

My reaction to this game producing a repeat champ was thinking of this clip:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... sp=sharing

So what is the geographic importance of those cities to get to the correct response? (I almost found myself saying, "it could be any airline!").

Edited to add: Ok, I got it with a little research although Vicksburg seems to be on the only one of the listed cities that actually falls within the Mississippi Delta, so it still seems like a pretty tenuous connection, at least in terms of expecting people to know it or figure it out.
Last edited by Elijah Baley on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Random question regarding the "what century" category: I have a bad habit of reflexively phrasing the first question in these categories like "the 1700's" rather than "the 18th century". Does anyone know if this would be ruled wrong automatically? Or asked to clarify?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The number of people who got three DDs wrong, two of them TDDs, and still won has to be pretty small.

My first thought on FJ was Southwest, but that was too long ago for them. I then thought of Southern, a long defunct airline, but that would be too obscure. I came up with Delta as it seemed to fit, but wasn't sure since I associate them with Atlanta. But not leaving it blank proved the right thing to do.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MasterCone wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 pm Random question regarding the "what century" category: I have a bad habit of reflexively phrasing the first question in these categories like "the 1700's" rather than "the 18th century". Does anyone know if this would be ruled wrong automatically? Or asked to clarify?
Considering that they're asking for a century and nothing but a century, I'd be very surprised if anything but "the 18th [century]" was accepted.

I had similar thought process of Peter, initially thinking Southwest because it's based out of Dallas (correct?) The change to Delta, though, didn't come until after Alex pointed out where those cities were located. (I didn't know that's where they were located, only that they are on the southern reaches of the Mississippi.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Peter and Barbara were both very... interesting.

I didn't recognize Marx's face in Puzzlers for $400. And the picture in $1,000 was way too busy for me to process "lab".

WLT "attorney general" at $200? That whole category was completely impenetrable to me.

4/5 in Musical "Al"s (precalled Weird Al), all but Lily Allen. I know the name and some of her songs, but blah blah blah faceblindness.

WLT "English" at $400? That wasn't even close to a cognate.

Lach Trash: Yardbird

No guess on FJ! I saw no way to puzzle this one out at all.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

A little bit of a sloppy game, but fun to watch. Thanks to the players, I learned two famous people who i didn't know were Juniors (Vonnegut + Roberts)

I saw Dallas and went straight to Southwest, and although the rest of the clue gave me some pause, delta would not have come to me in a long while.

Alex had some pretty good burns on the players tonight.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm WLT "English" at $400? That wasn't even close to a cognate.
The only language you are pretty much guaranteed to speak if you are watching Jeopardy.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

I fell for the Southwest trap. Very tricky wording in the clue, using Dallas as the anchor city, since that's where Southwest is based. I would have no sense of when any of the "legacy" airlines (Southwest qualifies as one, no?) were created so the year didn't help.

Ironic since I pre-called Delta as they are my preferred airline :P
Leander

Post by Leander »

I knew it couldn't be Southwest, which I knew was founded too recently, but fell into the American trap since I associate Delta with Atlanta.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: 18,400
28 R, 4 W
FJ!: :( (I had American based on the Dallas part of the clue, their hub is DFW)

I'm surprised they didn't take "golden lab" for "yellow lab". While the breed is "yellow", I've heard "golden" enough times to where it ought to count, especially in a pictorial category like that.

Shame about the phrasing neg on the DD. If he had said "Would that be..." instead of "That would be...", TPTB would take it, no?

All in all, this was a WEIRD game.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

According to The Other Wiki, Southwest was founded in 1967, but did not start flying until 1971.

Never would have guessed Delta in a million millennia.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:15 pm According to The Other Wiki, Southwest was founded in 1967, but did not start flying until 1971.

Never would have guessed Delta in a million millennia.
Instaget here, based on the general area of the cities.

Yeah, Southwest was much later - also, for a while, they ONLY flew in Texas, so as to avoid being interstate commence. I read that in their in-flight magazine. :)