Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by boson »

2nd best season ever, but flirting with (oh, who's kidding who: getting to 2nd base with) relegation despite that.

I'm not optimistic about today... Hoping the LL gods frown on this relegation affair.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woof wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:18 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 am
teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am People have been complaining that this season was harder than usual, but I guess it's harder in my favor, because I've already beaten my personal record for TMP and am currently 3 shy on TCA.
Same here. I set a new TCA record on MD 24. I'll need three match points on MD 25 to set a new personal best in TMP.
In this season, arguably my most successful since my Rookie season, I have a totally unremarkable TMP and TCA, a subpar DE and a normal CAA... yet I am in second place for a Maso (behind ElendilPickle) and tied in TMP for the lead in my Rundle. I have that feeling that I sometimes get when waiting for a train to go: seeing a train next to ours start to move, yet feeling as if my own was moving :mrgreen:
:shock: I had not noticed that!
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

This was my second best season as far as TCA goes. I stunk at defense though.

While researching this, I saw that my TCA was at its best for the season that I got relegated. I remember that I felt horrible then.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

clprez wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:55 pm While researching this, I saw that my TCA was at its best for the season that I got relegated. I remember that I felt horrible then.
That was me, too. I had my best TCA (97) and by far my best DE (.770) the one season I was in B Pac.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I finished alternating losses and ties over the final 6 MD...and finished 5th in my rundle with a 12-6-7 record and missed promotion to D rundle by 1 point. Set record highs for total correct answers and correct answer percentage in a season, defensive efficiency and ties in a season.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Made it back to D with my best ever TCA
Total game show career losings = $171,522
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Ended up in 3rd, by far my best result in an A rundle. Tied on points but 1 MPD behind 2nd, and one point but 9 MPD behind 1st.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Not relegated! I lost, as expected, but the Llama trailing me lost as well.

I knew the tv show wasn't Quantico, but couldn't come up with the generic name so I went with it anyhow. No chance on the movie question.

I've got several LL points by knowing the least bit of Indian geography - worth a quick study!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

On MD16, I was in the final spot for promotion to A. 9 straight losses later, I finish in the spot above relegation. Given I had no business being promoted in the first place, I will accept my fate and move on.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I ended the season with a bizarre 4(2)-4(2) tie. My opponent's third worst category was film but knew La La Land, and then gave me a 3 for pitching wedge.

Despite the fact that this season felt harder and I fought to stave off relegation the entire time I still ended up with a slightly above average TCA.
Tabby
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tabby »

Finished my rookie season - and had a blast. I'm ecstatic to be promoted to C next round, but really have to work on defense.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I finished 13-12 in Laguna D, but at least I was the only person that played all of the matches without having (or wearing) a tie. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

After a poor rookie season (mostly because of my .500 DE), I managed to win the last needed match and get promoted from E to D, finishing in the top 12 for DE for my E rundle :)

Now, I gotta see if I can stay in D next season.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The question yesterday that had me completely stymied was the one about the Financial Times. If you asked me if the Financial Times was a thing I'm pretty sure I'd say "yes," but other than that I don't know anything about it. I can't believe 48% got that one right. My opponent seemed to think it was a gimme and assigned that one zero points for defense! I ended up winning the match 8(4)-4(4). I missed that one and La La Land.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

blew my match by answering "Gosling and Stone" instead of La La Land. So dumb.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

Heading back down to D Horizon D next year after failing to earn the single point that would have saved me in any of my last three games. I guess this season just wasn't meant to be - I lost on Friday to someone who was 2-35 on classical music beforehand but knew Fleming. Ah well.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LL73, MD25, a cautionary tale: So I read the film question, instantly thought La La Land, talked myself out of it and submitted NO ANSWER

don't let it happen to you!

OTOH, it really made no difference at all. Happily, I finished my second season in lucky 13th place, well above the relegation zone - even with the second lowest TCA. Pulling 3rd highest DE goes a long way :P

Fun times!
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

My Rookie season ended by drinking a beer and finishing at the top of my rookie rundle. Thanks again to badgerfellow for the referral!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Troydozzy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:04 pm My Rookie season ended by drinking a beer and finishing at the top of my rookie rundle. Thanks again to badgerfellow for the referral!
You're welcome and congrats! Looks like you may have gotten the Battlefield promotion to A. Watching the race between you and my other referral was entertaining this season, to say the least.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I started the season running noticeably higher than usual on TCA, but (unsurprisingly) reverted to a total slightly higher than is typical for me. I guess that's good considering that my best eight categories were all underrepresented compared to what had been usual and my worst three categories were all overrepresented.

I ended the season with a strange 3(1)-0(0) win (I don't watch Criminal Minds, but I have watched enough CBS procedurals to have a pretty good idea of which ones are still running and roughly what they're about). If I had managed to win MD24 (which I lost 2(3)-3(2)) either by pulling Zoot Suit (which I had given as a wrong answer instead of bikini on MD22!) or giving my opponent 1 instead of 3 for Renee Fleming, I'd be getting promoted to B instead of being 8th out of 18. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

The oddest thing about my stats this season is that I was much higher than usual on both 3-pointers and MCWA.