Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by cmp146 »

I lost to a 9(6) yet again, but a shout out to my dad for "pitching wedge" and "Criminal Minds". I have ended up smack in the middle of my rundle again: 13 out of 26. 103 TCA placing me near the bottom of the rundle for that statistic. Coincidentally, that is the same TCA as alietr, who is sitting directly above me in 12th. Good matches everyone from A Magnolia! See you next season (or perhaps in one of the mini leagues).
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

Congrats to dhkendall on his promotion next season. Since my record against him is 0-5-0, I won't miss him much.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:46 am The question yesterday that had me completely stymied was the one about the Financial Times. If you asked me if the Financial Times was a thing I'm pretty sure I'd say "yes," but other than that I don't know anything about it. I can't believe 48% got that one right. My opponent seemed to think it was a gimme and assigned that one zero points for defense! I ended up winning the match 8(4)-4(4). I missed that one and La La Land.
I'm with you on this. I breezed through the rest of the questions (surprising myself on the pop culture ones). The closest I came to getting Financial Times was briefly considering the Times of London. I ended up just putting down a random paper.

Regardless, after finally getting a TCA above 100 I'm off to A Frontier and am looking forward to many thrashings (received, not given).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I'm a bit shocked that I improved my QPct from .553 in LL72 to .667 in LL73, because it didn't feel like it (and I didn't improve my rank in B Alpine much -- from 18th up to 15th).

Fun fact: in each of my three seasons so far, I've scored 9(6) in exactly two match days.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Defense wins championships staves off relegation.
Sprinkles are for winners.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I'm the 26th least lucky LLama in season 73. Just slightly luckier than me are boardies GoldRF and MercerI.

It is nice to have an excuse!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:49 pm I'm the 26th least lucky LLama in season 73. Just slightly luckier than me are boardies GoldRF and MercerI.

Where do you see that?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:57 pm
boson wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:49 pm I'm the 26th least lucky LLama in season 73. Just slightly luckier than me are boardies GoldRF and MercerI.

Where do you see that?
https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php ... 57#p112499
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

After getting 113 TCA each season from LL70-LL72, I only got 112 TCA this time. #consistency
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

boson wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 am

Where do you see that?

Oh, cool! A statistic to prove what I already knew. Last 21 matches: 2-16-3, 110 CAA, 5.2+ avg/day. :roll:

Well, A Prairie won't have me to kick around anymore!

acthomas

Post by acthomas »

RandyG wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm
boson wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 am

Where do you see that?

Oh, cool! A statistic to prove what I already knew. Last 21 matches: 2-16-3, 110 CAA, 5.2+ avg/day. :roll:

Well, A Prairie won't have me to kick around anymore!

I feel you. I was the 4th-least lucky LLama in LL70 (5th least if you include a near-Pavano, which I don't want to) and I've been fighting to get re-promoted ever since.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

acthomas wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:05 pmI feel you. I was the 4th-least lucky LLama in LL70 (5th least if you include a near-Pavano, which I don't want to) and I've been fighting to get re-promoted ever since.
Out of curiosity, I just checked. 96 total correct answers in a season, and still relegated out of C? Ouch.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I'm 10th on that list. That said, I probably would have been relegated even with average luck this season.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

OK, so my career art % is .542, so how the hell did I end up 9th in the French Impressionists 1DS?

Doesn't hurt that the Musee d'Orsay is probably my favorite museum I've ever been to. I even remember taking a picture of a pointillist painting and remarking in my recap post on social media that it was by Signac and not Seurat. (Not the same one as in the quiz but the brushwork was very similar.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I was really looking forward to the Peanuts 1DS and it did not disappoint. That was the first (and it may be the last) time I ever went 12/12. There were thirty of us with perfect scores; check out the flag of the champ!
Since about half of A Horizon is moving to Olympic next season, I suspect there will be many battlefield promotions. I need to start mentally preparing now for B....
Hoping for a third lap
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

I only missed one in the Peanuts 1D, but still did pretty well. How I remembered Joe Shlabotnik, I don't know. :lol: Looking forward to finally being in B in LL74.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Well, my Travel ML got off with a bang, nearly bagging a Buckner win 5(2)-3(3). My poor opponent managed a maximally suboptimal defense against me.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I won 6(4) - 5(4) in Travel. The difference was me assigning 3 points to Turkmenistan (which my opponent missed) and her assigning 3 to Fossey (which I got). I think you may be able to guess which question she assigned me zero points on, even if she hasn't seen any of my posts on this board. :D (In fairness, a lot of people zero'd that question, which had the highest get rate of MD1 and an average defense of 0.9.)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:33 am I won 6(4) - 5(4) in Travel. The difference was me assigning 3 points to Turkmenistan (which my opponent missed) and her assigning 3 to Fossey (which I got). I think you may be able to guess which question she assigned me zero points on, even if she hasn't seen any of my posts on this board. :D (In fairness, a lot of people zero'd that question, which had the highest get rate of MD1 and an average defense of 0.9.)
I also got a 3 on Fossey, which baffled me given what I thought were the very clear hints in the clue (they also obviously didn't know that my pub trivia team for the past 7 months has been named Dian Fossey's Gorilla Army). They gave me a 2 on the train jingle, which makes sense unless you know how much time I've spent on SNCF platforms :mrgreen: And I had a RTFQ moment when I somehow read Galapagos for Rapa Nui and confidently answered Ecuador :roll:
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Got my first ever (?) 0(0) score on the Golden age of television first day. I may have had some other minileagues oh-fers, but haven't yet got one in the main course.

I'm hoping to learn something, to have this be a positive experience, but I'll settle for it being over quickly if that doesn't work.