How does one study for Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: How does one study for Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Post by triviawayne »

ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 am
Wheatley wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 pm
ihavejeoprosy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:05 pm I am familiar with getting in shape for Jeopardy. There are enough areas of general knowledge that a player can know to target to develop a reasonable knowledge base in order to be competitive.
How then, does one prepare for Millionaire?

While Jeopardy involves general knowledge, millionaire is extremely specific.
How do you study for millionaire and how do you know what specific knowledge to focus on?
Would especially like to hear from people who have been on the show.
Thoughts?
Are there any restrictions for being on Millionaire if you've been on Jeopardy before?
No, just that there has to be a year between appearances. A number of us have been on both shows.
Read this and a weird thought crossed my mind...you appeared on more games of WWTBAM than Jeopardy. :P
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 am
ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 am
Wheatley wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 pm
ihavejeoprosy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:05 pm I am familiar with getting in shape for Jeopardy. There are enough areas of general knowledge that a player can know to target to develop a reasonable knowledge base in order to be competitive.
How then, does one prepare for Millionaire?

While Jeopardy involves general knowledge, millionaire is extremely specific.
How do you study for millionaire and how do you know what specific knowledge to focus on?
Would especially like to hear from people who have been on the show.
Thoughts?
Are there any restrictions for being on Millionaire if you've been on Jeopardy before?
No, just that there has to be a year between appearances. A number of us have been on both shows.
Read this and a weird thought crossed my mind...you appeared on more games of WWTBAM than Jeopardy. :P
Yes. Yes, I did. :)
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Bartleby »

I'm considering a trip to Las Vegas to audition for Millionaire, but I'm a little confused about the process. The listed audition dates on the Millionaire site (http://millionairetv.dadt.com/las-vegas-auditions/) have Las Vegas down for July 5th-8th, 12th-15th, and the 18th, but their ticket page (http://on-camera-audiences.com/shows/Wh ... illionaire) states:

"Everyone who attends a taping will have the opportunity to take the test and audition for a shot at playing for the $1 million prize this season!"

What is special about these dates versus auditioning at a taping? I'd appreciate it if anyone can make this less opaque.
I would prefer not to.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Bartleby wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 pm I'm considering a trip to Las Vegas to audition for Millionaire, but I'm a little confused about the process. The listed audition dates on the Millionaire site (http://millionairetv.dadt.com/las-vegas-auditions/) have Las Vegas down for July 5th-8th, 12th-15th, and the 18th, but their ticket page (http://on-camera-audiences.com/shows/Wh ... illionaire) states:

"Everyone who attends a taping will have the opportunity to take the test and audition for a shot at playing for the $1 million prize this season!"

What is special about these dates versus auditioning at a taping? I'd appreciate it if anyone can make this less opaque.
One is while you're there to see a taping, the other is strictly to audition, nothing more.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:29 pm One is while you're there to see a taping, the other is strictly to audition, nothing more.
Okay, I'm still somewhat puzzled why they would go to the trouble of having separate auditions in the same building on days when they have tapings scheduled.
I would prefer not to.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Bartleby wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:42 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:29 pm One is while you're there to see a taping, the other is strictly to audition, nothing more.
Okay, I'm still somewhat puzzled why they would go to the trouble of having separate auditions in the same building on days when they have tapings scheduled.
part of it is because they are there anyway, and the other part is to fill out the contestant pool.

During a taping, it's mostly people who are there that just want to see a tv show taped, or they're fans of the show with no expectations of getting on the show. In NYC, there might be three people who pass the test out of 150 at a taping; in Vegas, they might not get any. I've been in NYC when I was the only one who passed in the audience.

At an audition separate from a taping, it draws people who like trivia and feel they can pass the test and get on the show. About 15% of people in these auditions pass the test.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:11 am part of it is because they are there anyway, and the other part is to fill out the contestant pool.

During a taping, it's mostly people who are there that just want to see a tv show taped, or they're fans of the show with no expectations of getting on the show. In NYC, there might be three people who pass the test out of 150 at a taping; in Vegas, they might not get any. I've been in NYC when I was the only one who passed in the audience.

At an audition separate from a taping, it draws people who like trivia and feel they can pass the test and get on the show. About 15% of people in these auditions pass the test.
Thank you very much for the low down!
I would prefer not to.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

So, I just did the WWTBAM auditions in Nashville on Friday, and made it through to the contestant pool (my J! airdate was Nov 2016, so I'll have some time to sit and stew on it for a while, if they call me in at all).

It's weird for me, because it's been forever since I've actually watched Millionaire, since there's no local station in my markets that airs the show. Fortunately, there's a pretty good resource that has basically all of the most recent season on YouTube, so I've spent the weekend watching back episodes.

I think prep is tougher, but there are things that I think I can do to help get ready (since I know I've got at least 6 months before I could even think of getting a call). Obviously, pop culture things are important, as that's always a weak spot for me, so I need to get current on knowledge on movies, songs, artists, etc.

The other big overriding thing that I noticed that I think would be seriously helpful is doing a refresher on language and words, and more particularly the roots of words. I've noticed a ton of questions in these games where having the knowledge of what the root of something meant could get you to an Instaget response. Latin and Greek roots seem to hit all of the time in this, and the knowledge of what the root is more or less all you need.

Example from one I just watched yesterday that seems on point for this assessment:

$50K: An extremely-rare disorder, trichophagia can make a person do what usually-inhuman act?
A: Grow horns
B: Lay an egg
C: Cough up a hairball
D: Hibernate for the Winter

I had never heard of or seen the term before, so without knowing something about either of the roots, it's a complete guess. I didn't immediately recognize the "tricho-" root, but "-phagia" was one that stood out to me as concerning eating/swallowing things. The only answer that had anything to do with that was C. It would certainly be unusual to cough up a hairball, but also not impossible (well, given my baldness, it'd be exceedingly tougher than average).

I think I'm spending a ton of time with lists of roots/etymology resources to prep. That, and Entertainment Weekly.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JLJ wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:23 am So, I just did the WWTBAM auditions in Nashville on Friday, and made it through to the contestant pool (my J! airdate was Nov 2016, so I'll have some time to sit and stew on it for a while, if they call me in at all).
Not trying to rain on your parade, but didn't they wrap up taping by September last year because of Chris Harrison's schedule? Is it any different this year?
BobF

Post by BobF »

JLJ wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:23 am It would certainly be unusual to cough up a hairball, but also not impossible (well, given my baldness, it'd be exceedingly tougher than average).
Also not to rain on your parade, but most of your hair is in closer proximity to your mouth than most of mine is to my mouth.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

JLJ wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:23 am So, I just did the WWTBAM auditions in Nashville on Friday, and made it through to the contestant pool (my J! airdate was Nov 2016, so I'll have some time to sit and stew on it for a while, if they call me in at all).

It's weird for me, because it's been forever since I've actually watched Millionaire, since there's no local station in my markets that airs the show. Fortunately, there's a pretty good resource that has basically all of the most recent season on YouTube, so I've spent the weekend watching back episodes.

I think prep is tougher, but there are things that I think I can do to help get ready (since I know I've got at least 6 months before I could even think of getting a call). Obviously, pop culture things are important, as that's always a weak spot for me, so I need to get current on knowledge on movies, songs, artists, etc.

The other big overriding thing that I noticed that I think would be seriously helpful is doing a refresher on language and words, and more particularly the roots of words. I've noticed a ton of questions in these games where having the knowledge of what the root of something meant could get you to an Instaget response. Latin and Greek roots seem to hit all of the time in this, and the knowledge of what the root is more or less all you need.

Example from one I just watched yesterday that seems on point for this assessment:

$50K: An extremely-rare disorder, trichophagia can make a person do what usually-inhuman act?
A: Grow horns
B: Lay an egg
C: Cough up a hairball
D: Hibernate for the Winter

I had never heard of or seen the term before, so without knowing something about either of the roots, it's a complete guess. I didn't immediately recognize the "tricho-" root, but "-phagia" was one that stood out to me as concerning eating/swallowing things. The only answer that had anything to do with that was C. It would certainly be unusual to cough up a hairball, but also not impossible (well, given my baldness, it'd be exceedingly tougher than average).

I think I'm spending a ton of time with lists of roots/etymology resources to prep. That, and Entertainment Weekly.
The WWTBAM rules state you won't get a call for the upcoming season as you are ineligible to receive such call within one year of your airdate of a NETWORK show (at least that's what it had last time I read the rules)...so since J isn't a network show, you might get that call anytime.

Taping ends in late August/early September, so there's about another six weeks or so of those phone calls for the staff to make; but if you are considered ineligible, you'll have to wait until next year (June at the earliest if the taping schedule remains the same) for that call.

You are absolutely correct about studying the root words, not only would it help for WWTBAM, but other trivia endeavors in general as that knowledge can often lead one to figure out a correct answer for something they don't have the knowledge of.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 pmThe WWTBAM rules state you won't get a call for the upcoming season as you are ineligible to receive such call within one year of your airdate of a NETWORK show (at least that's what it had last time I read the rules)...so since J isn't a network show, you might get that call anytime.
I'm fairly sure the one-year ban applies to J!. 2.D of the Official Rules says WWTBAM won't call you until a year after you've been on "any television game show exhibited on broadcast television." Maybe in the past it said "network television," but it doesn't now.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

RichmondJ wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:05 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 pmThe WWTBAM rules state you won't get a call for the upcoming season as you are ineligible to receive such call within one year of your airdate of a NETWORK show (at least that's what it had last time I read the rules)...so since J isn't a network show, you might get that call anytime.
I'm fairly sure the one-year ban applies to J!. 2.D of the Official Rules says WWTBAM won't call you until a year after you've been on "any television game show exhibited on broadcast television." Maybe in the past it said "network television," but it doesn't now.
Definitely said network in the past, I made the pool in October 2013, but couldn't get called until the 2014-15 season almost wrapped filming in September 2014.
JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 pm

The WWTBAM rules state you won't get a call for the upcoming season as you are ineligible to receive such call within one year of your airdate of a NETWORK show (at least that's what it had last time I read the rules)...so since J isn't a network show, you might get that call anytime.

Taping ends in late August/early September, so there's about another six weeks or so of those phone calls for the staff to make; but if you are considered ineligible, you'll have to wait until next year (June at the earliest if the taping schedule remains the same) for that call.

You are absolutely correct about studying the root words, not only would it help for WWTBAM, but other trivia endeavors in general as that knowledge can often lead one to figure out a correct answer for something they don't have the knowledge of.
No parade rainout for me. I was fully expecting that it would be a long time before they would actually call me (again, if they do), simply because it's still five months until my 12 month blackout is over. I figured (without actually knowing) that they probably taped around this time of the year, so if at all, I can probably be patient until this time next year. The contestant pool period is their current season plus two years, so I'll remain optimistic, assuming that they continue to record new shows.

I take it as some consolation that they seemed genuinely disappointed that my J! date was November 2016.

Plus, that gives me an extra 12 months to work on growing the beard. It should be absolutely magnificent in mid-2018.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!
bellbm
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by bellbm »

I tried out for WWTBAM in Vegas on Friday, I passed the test, and made it to the on camera audition. I didn't do so well when the asked me the on camera questions (very difficult, and hard to think through the question without seeing the questions and answers in front of me). But they said I had good energy and that's what matters.

For those who have qualified, how soon after the audition did you hear back? How did they contact you? Phone or email?

I don't live in Vegas, and they asked me how long I was there for (I was leaving that night). And they asked if I could come back in the next couple of weeks (I of course told them yes). Fingers crossed! I got the sense they were in desperate need of players, since they are filming so many shows in a short period of time.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

bellbm wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:53 am I tried out for WWTBAM in Vegas on Friday, I passed the test, and made it to the on camera audition. I didn't do so well when the asked me the on camera questions (very difficult, and hard to think through the question without seeing the questions and answers in front of me). But they said I had good energy and that's what matters.

For those who have qualified, how soon after the audition did you hear back? How did they contact you? Phone or email?

I don't live in Vegas, and they asked me how long I was there for (I was leaving that night). And they asked if I could come back in the next couple of weeks (I of course told them yes). Fingers crossed! I got the sense they were in desperate need of players, since they are filming so many shows in a short period of time.
How long it takes them to call all depends on timing. They are only filming for about eight weeks per year, I think they are wrapping up later this month. This means a long wait until they start making their calls for next season, and those calls would likely begin in June.

I gamed the system (of course) and got myself into the contestant pool twice. I auditioned in 2015 in New York, probably in the summer. That put me in the pool for getting the call in 2015 and 2016.

Last June (2016), while in the pool for the 2016 taping season, I went to Philly to audition and was placed in the pool for 2016 and 2017 (yeah, I was in the pool twice, like when you see two Marty McFly's at the mall near the end of BTTF).

They called me based on my Philly audition in late July. Then as I was making my plans to go, I got the call based on my 2015 NYC audition. I told them they must've made an error as I was already scheduled to tape the next week.

I don't think they ever figured it out.

So to answer how long it takes, well since you're in the pool for the current season in which you auditioned and the next season, it could take up until early to mid-August of 2018 before you hear anything.
bellbm
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by bellbm »

But do you get some official notification saying that you are in the contestant pool? Or does making it to the on camera audition mean you are in the contestant pool?
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

bellbm wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:51 pm But do you get some official notification saying that you are in the contestant pool? Or does making it to the on camera audition mean you are in the contestant pool?
I auditioned on June 13th 2016, received an email saying I was in the pool ~2 weeks after that. I got "the call" the first week in July and was scheduled to tape a month later (though they wanted me earlier). Once the ball started rolling, it didn't stop except for the 9 month waiting period between taping and airing.

I saw on the WWTBAM Bored that someone had either not received a pool email or it was filtered out and received a surprising phone call inviting them to tape, so don't give up hope if you don't see that email!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

bellbm wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:51 pm But do you get some official notification saying that you are in the contestant pool? Or does making it to the on camera audition mean you are in the contestant pool?
I received an email both times telling me I was in the contestant pool.
ohiomathtchr
Contributor

Post by ohiomathtchr »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:54 am Not trying to rain on your parade, but didn't they wrap up taping by September last year because of Chris Harrison's schedule? Is it any different this year?
Hi, long time reader, first time poster. (I don't know why I didn't register until now.)

I took the Millionaire test at TCONA this weekend. The interviewer asked about my availability through August 22, which is their final taping session for the season.
Maggie, call me.