Monday, June 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Monday, June 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

Any Oscar related category would be an automatic 0 bet from me.

(Yes, I would brush up on it in the unlikely event I actually got the call.)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:06 pm FJ!: :( (I put Drew Barrymore figuring the age was about right, she was young in E.T.; as soon as Trebek said "she had an in" I knew I was wrong)

FJ... just... yeah. Movie trivia not my strongest suit. Thought it was going to be an actor later famous, and the Barrymore family came to mind first. Perhaps that could be something for the poll?
Barrymore could be a poll choice if you round up some company with you that also had that guess.
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

At the beginning of the show I saw Brandon and thought, "Wait, this guy looks familiar."

I too was hoping to see a tiebreaker clue for $40K, still, after seeing how Brandon wagered...clap..........clap............clap.

It is the Brandon whose caption was "Peligro! Fan", right?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woot! I figured this FJ was too easy for Brandon to have a sole get. So even when he got it right, I didn't have much hope. Then Elisabeth missed it and I started imagining what Brandon must be going through waiting to be put out of his misery. Nice win, Brandon! You played well and looked like a cool cat doing it. You got beat on the buzzer but pulled out the facts at the crucial moment.

I forgot to mention this when you got the call, but when one Googles the phrase "Filthy John Quincy Adams," your post and my response are still the only two hits. I thought that would make a fun anecdote. But unless you're going to the TOC, it's too late for that. You seem like a guy who has more anecdotes than he knows what to do with anyway. Or maybe not. Alex did lead with the cow story. :D

Edited to add: Oh me of little faith. I forgot to mention the possibility that Brandon is still the current Jeopardy! champ and is gunning for KJ's record. In that case, he's probably desperate for new anecdotes, so... you're welcome, buddy.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

To be honest, this game could have gone either way. But, supposedly, I would imagine "The Godfather" would have gave away an instaget, but no...a SOLO GET?! I, myself wasn't born in the 70s, so yeah...if anything, this pretty much would stump anybody that wasn't even born when The Godfather was released.

This situation reminded me of the Rachel/Cecily/Scott scenario. One person with around $10,000, and two with around $20,000. I applaud Brandon for taking a chance and make it pay off, especially to add pressure, and the fact that he had more than 50 percent of Elisabeth and Pat's score. Elisabeth's bet didn't make any sense in any shape or form. Betting $1,601 would have assumed a safe bet for her, and only wagering 3/4ths of her wager is a weird choice when Pat went for the whole "shebang". Unnoticingly, did Pat or Elisabeth not watch The Godfather? Because they picked actresses that weren't even in the movie.

Elisabeth as well didn't know that being in a tie could have put herself in a losing position with her bet. I applaud Pat for being ballsy and take advantage of the tie situation by going all in, unfortunately, it didn't work. Brandon...what a killer. And an epic game to start the week...
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

how does one study for Oscars anyway? :?
Now for myself, I would've bet the minim to cover third place on an all-in correct. :geek:
FJ turned out to be cake... :o
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Yay I guessed FJ right.

I didn't know for sure what she won an Oscar for, or when she did, but I would have thought it was for directing. I know however that Kathryn Bigelow was the first female to win the Best Director Oscar sometime in the 2000s.

Knowing her dad is Francis Ford Coppola and that she herself later appeared in a more major role in Godfather III also helped.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can't say I've heard of Rob Lowe before.

I bit on the Oregon Trail negbait, and then bit again with Santa Fe. NHO Chisholm Trail.

People's Princesses was my only miss in Alliteration.

WLT lamb at $200? That was my only miss in the category.

Surprised myself by running the Instrumental Song Titles category. No idea where I pulled Mr. Tambourine Man or While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

NHO "tonic" in a musical sense.

Lach Trash: Odd Fellows, CB radio

Instaget FJ!
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Oh, how I wish Bill Murray had won his Oscar in Lost in Translation. Darn you, Sean Penn.

Knowing, however, that LIT was Sofia Coppola's Oscar win + director of Godfather being Francis Ford Coppola made this final an Instaget for me before Alex finished reading the clue.

Congratulations Brandon!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Way to go Brandon!!! Keep it going! You looked calm and composed up there, it must be the cow's serene influence.

I almost messed up with Jodie Foster for FJ, but I was able to get Sofia Coppola before time was up. 32k Coryat, with two bad $2k negs.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:00 pm how does one study for Oscars anyway? :?
You could try the Stanislavski method, but some people find the results a bit artificial.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Woohoo! Way to go, Brandon ! :D
davey

Post by davey »

Congratulations, Brandon! A very poised performance.
I would never have remembered that SC has an Oscar but her being in The Godfather is familiar...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Allow me to add my congrats, Brandon!

Zero chance at FJ for me. Made sense in hindsight, but I glanced at the clue, thought, "How the hell should I know?" and then went into the kitchen to get a soda for the rest of the music.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

That was a really good game.

I missed Sofia Coppola. I knew her name but for some reason thought she had a different name. I figured it was going to be one of Francis Ford Coppola's relatives since there wasn't anything else in the clue to tease it out. I even knew the name "Sofia" but couldn't actually grab the name. I had memorized the list of winners for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor/Actress and Supporting Actor/Actress and that didn't help me get Sofia Coppola.

I learned the phrase and origin of "Pleased as Punch", was reminded that Jackie Gleason played Ralph Kramden, learned that Garibaldi was active in 1867, was reminded of "figgy pudding", learned Ellen Page's name, and learned that Audubon is preceded by John James.

I wonder if the contestants knew that "Being and Nothingness" wasn't "Nausea" or if they couldn't pull "Nausea". Well done by all three not to ring in though.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Congratulations, Brandon!!!! I had forgotten you were going to be on until I saw you pop up on my TV.

I thought you were a movie guy so I was not surprised you got FJ. I was about five when the movie came out and I've never seen it, but I got it quickly. I didn't know she had won an Oscar, but there was nobody else I could think of.

Alex started out the interview saying something about travel so I thought he'd talk about your mission trip. The cow story was....odd.

Retro good luck tomorrow.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 pm Can't say I've heard of Rob Lowe before.
I don't know why, but this one galls me more than most of the things you claim not to have heard of. The man has been a world-famous actor for 30 years. He's been on numerous hit TV shows and been nominated for Emmys. He danced with Snow White at the Oscars for Pete's sake! Everyone knows Rob Lowe. They showed you a picture. If you walked down the street with a picture of Rob Lowe and asked people if they knew who he was, a staggeringly high percentage of Americans would be able to identify him.

Sorry, I just can't imagine it's possible that you've never heard of Rob Lowe.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jev15 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 pm Can't say I've heard of Rob Lowe before.
I don't know why, but this one galls me more than most of the things you claim not to have heard of. The man has been a world-famous actor for 30 years. He's been on numerous hit TV shows and been nominated for Emmys. He danced with Snow White at the Oscars for Pete's sake! Everyone knows Rob Lowe. They showed you a picture. If you walked down the street with a picture of Rob Lowe and asked people if they knew who he was, a staggeringly high percentage of Americans would be able to identify him.
I certainly don't recognize his face. He just looks like any other male actor of the past 30 years to me. Other than The West Wing, I recognize none of the works he was nominated for awards in.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:06 pm
Fell for the obvious negbait on "The Oregon Trail". Like come on, how were they not expecting someone to go for that?
I think meta-logic is fair game, by which I mean an answer being too obvious for the bottom row, or the converse - figuring out a top-row answer by the logic it's the only reasonable answer for a top-row clue.

Swing and a miss on FJ, I've got to study my Oscars because I feel like I'd get that question in an instant if I knew them better.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Congratulations on the win over two worthy competitors, Brandon!

Nice job staying focused and disciplined despite being behind and pulling off the win perfectly with a sole solve and excellent wager!

Looking forward to seeing you play again tomorrow, champ! :D
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago