Friday, June 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLANTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Made famous by a 1959 musical, the flower seen here graces a coin of this European country

Clint Thompson: 10400-1901=8499
Jon Eisenman: 12300+6000=18300 (New Champ)
Allan Ashley: 9300-0=9300

Correct response:
Spoiler
Austria (Clint – Germany) (Jon added “Hi Mom” with a smiley face) (Allan – the Switzerland)

Daily Doubles
Jon: 6600+500
Jon: 10300-2000
Allan: 7000+3500

Coryats
Clint: 10400
Jon: 14600
Allan: 7000

Combined: 32,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex came out ready to talk about Canada 150.

I was not surprised when he traded the jersey for a jacket after the first segment.

“IT’S” A MOVIE had me precalling the unforgettable It’s Alive as seeing that first run as an 11-year-old was a step up from the normal Disney fare.

Even when I am stumped on the FJ! clue I will try to work out some kind of logic for a guess. 1959 musical had me thinking a year away from Gigi. When I do crossword puzzles sometimes a 4-letter fill is that movie and other times it is a trap for another Leslie Caron (turns out it’s 1953) film, Lili.

From there I made the flower a lily, reminds me of fleur de lys, so I wrote France to avoid the blank page. It was an easy late solve after time when Alex said edelweiss. I needed the wording of the clue to be:

Made famous by a 1959 musical, the small and white, clean and bright flower seen here graces a coin of this European country

The wagers by the gentlemen have me wondering what kind of mind games were in place? Clint bet from second place to go to 12301 to cover leader Jon staying staying pat. Is PLANTS really that scary for three dudes? Allan sat on his 9300 and did nothing. Jon was 300 shy of covering Allan’s potential double up. Weird stuff.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Looking at the coin in the image again I now see "ZWEI" that I overlooked when playing the clue in real time. Ugh! That would have been enough to put the pieces together.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I associate edelweiss with Switzerland...I did notice the zwei and it fit the German part too.

OMG.. what a facepalm. As I am typing this, I just realized that Switzerland doesn't use Euro. Let me brood over that for the weekend.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Based on several contestants' comments about how difficult it is to see images on set, I wouldn't be surprised if that factored into the FJ misses. (And maybe it's time to either retire photo clues or get a better screen - is it 2017 or 1957??).

That said, this was an instaget from the text only! (The date may throw some folks who know the show/song only from the movie).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with Switzerland but changed to Austria right at the end. That gives me a 4/5 week, which makes yesterday's miss really hurt.

I agree video FJs suck. It was hard enough for me sitting 10 feet from a 45" TV.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Those DD and FJ wagers deserve to be mocked. Not saying I will do so however.....

Question for the cheezy one, today's game featured 3 men, something that in my opinion is becoming more and more rare. In the last 3 years let's say, how many shows have had 3 women compared to 3 men? I'm thinking 3 women has occurred at least twice as much as 3 men.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

6000? 6000!??!? But that...it didn't even cover...

!^%# this, I give up. Frankly I was still annoyed that he only bet 500 on that 1st round DD.

Plants? Christ...oh they just want the country? Whew. Lets see...'zwei'? That's German for two. 1950s musical + German + European...Sound of Music!!

Gott sei dank they didn't ask me to identify the plant, or I'd end up cursing under my breath every time I watch The Man in the High Castle. I'm sure I watched Sound of Music as a kid, but I remember nothing about it, and tbh I couldn't have told you what an edelweiss is until now. Not that I would've recognized it anyway, because I am terrible at identifying flowers; somehow, I've got to get better at that.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

In the "Eco" category, the DNA question, anyone else feel that Jon's "recombined" is not really a correct response? I've never heard this referred to as anything but recombinANT DNA. Or maybe I missed something in the wording
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

MasterCone wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:57 pm In the "Eco" category, the DNA question, anyone else feel that Jon's "recombined" is not really a correct response? I've never heard this referred to as anything but recombinANT DNA. Or maybe I missed something in the wording
I agree that recombinant is a better response, but recombinant DNA is...well...recombined, so you can't say it's really wrong. Just more of a layman's way of describing it, I suppose.

I did get FJ, by luck more than anything, but I'll take it, since it was the first one in a while that I've played while watching the show, as opposed to doing the NYT Clue of the Day in the morning (which today used the first DD of the show since FJ had a video/picture attached.) I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't think of the "Switzerland still uses the franc" angle mentioned previously, and I surely did not recognize the flower itself. But the "zwei" told me German language and I ended up going with Austria.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Golf wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:36 pm Question for the cheezy one, today's game featured 3 men, something that in my opinion is becoming more and more rare. In the last 3 years let's say, how many shows have had 3 women compared to 3 men? I'm thinking 3 women has occurred at least twice as much as 3 men.
Out of 180 regular-play games so far this season, there have been 10 with three women and 8 with three men. Last season had 7 games of each, and Season 31 had 5 with three women versus 10 with three men.

Over the last three seasons there have been 14 tournament games with three men and 0 with three women.
Golf

Post by Golf »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:28 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:36 pm Question for the cheezy one, today's game featured 3 men, something that in my opinion is becoming more and more rare. In the last 3 years let's say, how many shows have had 3 women compared to 3 men? I'm thinking 3 women has occurred at least twice as much as 3 men.
Out of 180 regular-play games so far this season, there have been 10 with three women and 8 with three men. Last season had 7 games of each, and Season 31 had 5 with three women versus 10 with three men.

Over the last three seasons there have been 14 tournament games with three men and 0 with three women.
Thanks for the info! Also glad to see my opinion/observation was wrong in this case.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: The wagers by the gentlemen have me wondering what kind of mind games were in place? Clint bet from second place to go to 12301 to cover leader Jon staying staying pat. Is PLANTS really that scary for three dudes? Allan sat on his 9300 and did nothing. Jon was 300 shy of covering Allan’s potential double up. Weird stuff.
My take: Jon was expecting Allan to bet 3000 (to tie his standing score) so in the event of those two getting it wrong, they are tied @ 6300. :?

Clint's wager did more to infuriate me though. If one of either the leader or 3rd place was going to wager zero, it was many more times likely to be 3rd place.
If he was that committed to bet Venusian, he should have wagered 1099.

Allan would have been better served to wager 5499 IMO.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm Based on several contestants' comments about how difficult it is to see images on set, I wouldn't be surprised if that factored into the FJ misses. (And maybe it's time to either retire photo clues or get a better screen - is it 2017 or 1957??).

That said, this was an instaget from the text only! (The date may throw some folks who know the show/song only from the movie).
Text only get here too. Actually -seeing- zwei on the coin nearly threw me.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ. Spent 27 seconds counting the petals... there are 10! Ach du Liebe! We got Switzerland, Germany and Austria, LOL! :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I picked up they were hinting "Sound of Music," but forgot that most of it took place in Austria and went "Switzerland." That was a particularly dumb miss for me, because I work at a bank and see international currency names on a daily basis, including "Swiss Frank."

Lach Trash: Disco Nap
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Friday, June 30, J!6 [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

OK, I got a beef with the J6 clue in State Anagrams.
The correct answer is:
Spoiler
WHAT IS A MINE
But the nearest state I can correlate with that is one that was used in the actual game, and it takes combining two words to get all the letters. :x
What am I missing?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Did anyone on the board get "NO GORE" in the allotted time period? That seems like a made up anagram answer.