Friday, June 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Science (1), Parent (3), Political (4), TV (3), Woke (2), "ECO" (3)
"IT'S" Movie (4), 3 Letter, 3 Letter (4), Novel (2), Names (5), Anagram (1), Canada 150 (5)

Lach Trash: According to Jim, Christy Brown; Daily Double: low-key

After Alex said "Edelweiss", I knew what the musical was, and said Germany before changing it to Austria; during the 30 seconds, I had no idea.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 pm I picked up they were hinting "Sound of Music," but forgot that most of it took place in Austria and went "Switzerland." That was a particularly dumb miss for me, because I work at a bank and see international currency names on a daily basis, including "Swiss Frank."

Lach Trash: Disco Nap
Really, you see "Swiss Frank?"
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Friday, June 30, J!6 [SPOILERS]

Post by MattKnowles »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:36 am OK, I got a beef with the J6 clue in State Anagrams.
The correct answer is:
Spoiler
WHAT IS A MINE
But the nearest state I can correlate with that is one that was used in the actual game, and it takes combining two words to get all the letters. :x
What am I missing?
I don't think you're missing anything. A mine anagrams to Maine. I'm going to forget about that clue and instead remember that the clue writers write hundreds of great clues every week.

How many people picked up nominates as an anagram for Minnesota? That was gettable but seemed a bit tough.

I've never seen The Sound of Music. I definitely missed Final Jeopardy. I suppose I should watch it considering it comes up so frequently.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

OSXpert wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:40 am Did anyone on the board get "NO GORE" in the allotted time period? That seems like a made up anagram answer.
Concur.
That would have been tough to come up with in less than 30 seconds.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:08 am
Category 13 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:36 am OK, I got a beef with the J6 clue in State Anagrams.
The correct answer is:
Spoiler
WHAT IS A MINE
But the nearest state I can correlate with that is one that was used in the actual game, and it takes combining two words to get all the letters. :x
What am I missing?
I don't think you're missing anything. A mine anagrams to Maine.
Alright, I now realize that I've been misunderstanding that an anagram can be multiple words. It's still kind of peculiar that they repeated a state that appeared in the five game clues when they had 45 others to choose from.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:08 am How many people picked up nominates as an anagram for Minnesota? That was gettable but seemed a bit tough.
I got it from the clue, with maybe 65% confidence, and then while tossing the letters around in my head I just barely figured out the Minnesota anagram in time. Haut -> Utah (which I totally thought was spelled haute) and that Oregon...thing weren't happening.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $26,800
39 R/5 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: low-key (DD), haut
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:22 pm Looking at the coin in the image again I now see "ZWEI" that I overlooked when playing the clue in real time. Ugh! That would have been enough to put the pieces together.
That was the key for me: zwei --> German --> German flower from a '50s musical must be edelweiss --> didn't The Sound of Music take place in Austria? I should get around to seeing that movie one of these days.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:26 am Alright, I now realize that I've been misunderstanding that an anagram can be multiple words. It's still kind of peculiar that they repeated a state that appeared in the five game clues when they had 45 others to choose from.
Well, maybe not 45. Iowa and Ohio probably won't figure in, for example. But it does seem they could have avoided a repeat.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:56 am
Category 13 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:26 am Alright, I now realize that I've been misunderstanding that an anagram can be multiple words. It's still kind of peculiar that they repeated a state that appeared in the five game clues when they had 45 others to choose from.
Well, maybe not 45. Iowa and Ohio probably won't figure in, for example. But it does seem they could have avoided a repeat.
They'd probably also want to avoid the only Arkansas anagram I can think of that isn't extremely grammatically questionable.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I saw the "Zwei", thought Germany, but figured that would be way too easy for a FJ. Then the Von Trapps came to mind, remembered the flower and a song to be Edelweiss, and had to remember where the Von Trapps were from. Then I correctly guessed Austria.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:22 pm Looking at the coin in the image again I now see "ZWEI" that I overlooked when playing the clue in real time. Ugh! That would have been enough to put the pieces together.
That's what pointed me in the right direction. Germany ->Switzerland->Alps->musical->edelweiss. Then I realized it was Austrian, but it still worked.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bomtr wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:56 am
Wheatley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 pm I picked up they were hinting "Sound of Music," but forgot that most of it took place in Austria and went "Switzerland." That was a particularly dumb miss for me, because I work at a bank and see international currency names on a daily basis, including "Swiss Frank."

Lotsa counterfeits.

Add me to the instagets without the image.

"NO GORE" was totally bogus.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:42 am
MattKnowles wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:08 am How many people picked up nominates as an anagram for Minnesota? That was gettable but seemed a bit tough.
I got it from the clue, with maybe 65% confidence, and then while tossing the letters around in my head I just barely figured out the Minnesota anagram in time. Haut -> Utah (which I totally thought was spelled haute) and that Oregon...thing weren't happening.
It can be spelled either way, depending on the gender of the noun it's describing. La couture, feminine, so "haute." I forget what the clue said now, but I remember thinking they were being careful use the masculine form.

I too got NOMINATES purely from the clue, not the anagram, and had the impression that the contestant was also guessing based on that. This one was at least pretty specific, as opposed to NO GORE. That was pretty darned vague to figure out an anagram of a state for it in that amount of time. But then, I'm generally not very good with anagrams and was very happy to get 4/5 in the category.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wasn't a fan of the anagrams category, either. I came up with nominates, but spent too much time trying to figure out if it was actually an anagram before the player rang in. I also agree NO GORE was rather lame. Given that they had to repeat a state to do the J6, I'd say this is one category that should have ended up on the scrap heap.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

nlw44 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:08 am
It can be spelled either way, depending on the gender of the noun it's describing. La couture, feminine, so "haute." I forget what the clue said now, but I remember thinking they were being careful use the masculine form.
Monsieur Trebek surprised me with his pronunciation of the H in haut (ho!), but then he said it again with the H silent, or aspirated, as it should be

LT: The Good Fight (Thanks, EW!), haut, Memoirs of a Geisha, MDD: low key

Zwei Euro Cent and 1950s musical were enough to get me to the Sound of the Music, even though I've still never seen it

Clint stood out with another bright shirt/tie combination next to the challengers in corporate gray. Too bad we won't get to see Clint's third look
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I look at transnational records with the currency listed - "CHF" fir "Swiss Franc" is relatively common
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

OSXpert wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:40 am Did anyone on the board get "NO GORE" in the allotted time period? That seems like a made up anagram answer.
I got it just a moment before time ran out. So far it seems I'm the only one claiming to have done so.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I did get that one. Definitely not the Oregon one.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Hate anagrams. Hate, hate, hate.

On FJ, I thought musical-flower-1959..."The Sound of Music"...Austria! (Wait, double-check the clue wording, yes they're looking for the country not the flower name, Austria it is!)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I believe he's the Swiss Miss' boyfriend.