Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY TRANSPORTATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first of these to enter service was christened by First Lady Pat Nixon at Dulles International Airport on January 15, 1970

Jon Eisenman: 13400+13400=26800 (2x = $45,100)
Trevor Schultz: 24600-2400=22200
Emily Campbell: 6000-3999=2001

Correct response:
Spoiler
747 (Trevor – Air Force One) (Emily – a satellite)

Daily Doubles
Jon: 0+600
Jon: 6400-1000
Trevor: 9400+4000

Coryats
Jon: 14400
Trevor: 21800
Emily: 6000

Combined: 42,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jon jumped out to a 3200 lead thanks to getting the first six clues including running COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES. Jon’s advantage as the returning champ started to decrease after that as the challengers became more familiar with the buzzer timing.

Trevor put a lot of space between himself and Jon while leaving Emily in a distant third. The wager on DD3 was 9400+4000 (Trevor’s lead) and it was not enough to prevent the runaway.

Trevor had a chance to make that extra needed for the lock with a close but no cigar in THIRD PARTY PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES being the difference. Prohibition vs. Prohibitionist was 2400 less for Trevor and that saved the day for Jon.

Ross Perot has been hit the previous 2 times a clue has asked for him. Today’s game better be a fluke with the stumper as I don’t want to be at the point with common things from the 1990s now too far back for the players. It’s already happened way too many times with 1980s things.

For the FJ! clue I went with SST Concorde as my response as I thought perhaps it was in the neighborhood timewise. A plane in the 700 range occurred to me, but as I had at least five in the mental mix I did not like my odds of landing on the right one, so did not try.

My sympathy to those who try a 700s plane and guess the wrong one.

The one guess I knew to avoid was Air Force One as I remember seeing Eisenhower’s pilot on a rerun of What My Line? I like to watch on BUZZR.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

+1 for Concorde.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Almost said Concorde too, but it had to be a US company with a first lady christening the plane. 747 it is. I'll take it!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Jumbo jet here. :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Love in the Time of Cholera for 2k when spotted 'love' and the author? No...just, go sit in the corner, J! writers.

I was screaming "TRUE DAILY DOUBLE!!!" when Jon hit that anagram DD...good thing he didn't listen to me! Though he really should've gotten Yonkers. I might be a bit biased :lol:

Knowing almost nothing about MTM, I think I would've guessed about 7 or 8 more diseases given enough time before I ever got to diabetes, with only 'autoimmune' as a hint. Heh.

Instaget FJ, though it was mostly a lucky guess.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $14,800 :evil:
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

I said "type 2 diabetes" for that clue, even though MTM raised money for juvenile. Judges?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget remembered it! Helps to be old... Did not even consider "Air Force One" b/c this clue specified 'first to be commissioned' and there was already an AF1 707, JFK flew on it and LBJ was sworn in on it at Love Field by Sarah Hughes, using JFK's cockpit Catholic Missal in lieu of a Bible.

LT: To Sir with Love (Poitier); U-joint; Johnny Blaze (they keep asking about him!) :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,000
49 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Yonkers (DD); To Sir, with Love; X; (Prohibition Party); H. Ross Perot; Johnny Blaze

Lost the coin flip between Concorde and 747.

Love in the Time of Cholera also came up as a bottom-box response in the Saturday J! episode I watched immediately before this one.
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:34 pm I was screaming "TRUE DAILY DOUBLE!!!" when Jon hit that anagram DD...good thing he didn't listen to me! Though he really should've gotten Yonkers. I might be a bit biased :lol:
There aren't many better times to go TDD than in a U.S. cities anagrams category where you know they're going to spot you the state.

Also, can we talk about only wagering $600 when you hit the DD on the first clue of the game? Live a little, for crying out loud.
NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:00 pm I said "type 2 diabetes" for that clue, even though MTM raised money for juvenile. Judges?
The clue said "this autoimmune disorder with which she'd been diagnosed at 33." MTM had Type 1 diabeetus, so that's gotta be a neg.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:19 pm There aren't many better times to go TDD than in a U.S. cities anagrams category where you know they're going to spot you the state.

Also, can we talk about only wagering $600 when you hit the DD on the first clue of the game? Live a little, for crying out loud.
I don't feel like talking about it, I'll roll around on the floor and laugh about it however. Really not sure which wager was worse, hard to judge when they are both negative numbers on a 0-x scale.

Exactly how many seconds does one have on a DD after Alex finishes reading the clue? When it's all said and done you've probably got around 15 seconds to figure out what is right in front of you. How in the hell can one wager only $1k in that situation?

This is how so many people attempt to play poker, and that's why poker will never die.

OK, maybe I did feel like talking about it. :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:35 pm Trevor had a chance to make that extra needed for the lock with a close but no cigar in THIRD PARTY PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES being the difference. Prohibition vs. Prohibitionist was 2400 less for Trevor and that saved the day for Jon.
Nope. The Prohibition clue was $800 for a $1600 swing. Not enough.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:35 pm Trevor had a chance to make that extra needed for the lock with a close but no cigar in THIRD PARTY PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES being the difference. Prohibition vs. Prohibitionist was 2400 less for Trevor and that saved the day for Jon.
Oh, one box off. Thanks.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:59 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:37 pm
Oh, one box off. Thanks.
That and a random guess at a MTM disease cost him a lock.

I might cut the guy some slack for the second DD bet if you don't like anagrams. But giving the state was a pretty huge hint. On a side note, the bottom two cities were only four letters long. Why not just hand people money?

But hitting a DD on the very first clue of the game should automatically be a $1000 bet.

I knew what Moore had but not the plane. Guessed SST.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

I said DC-10 for Final Jeopardy.

My first thought had been Concorde, but recently heard this radio segment mentioning that Concorde didn't make its first US landing until 1977 (although Wikipedia says service to Dulles began earlier, on May 24, 1976).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I work for Boeing so if I missed that FJ I'd never be able to show my face at work again! :D

My wife had a good quip regarding Emily's FJ guess of "satellite." She said: "Christen a satellite? What do they do, break a bottle of Tang over it?"
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Knew that MTM had Type 1 diabetes, which is the autoimmune type (Type 2 is not an autoimmune disorder).

Instaget FJ; unlike Kirk, I don't work for Boeing but am an aerospace engineer and airplane nut.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:35 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first of these to enter service was christened by First Lady Pat Nixon at Dulles International Airport on January 15, 1970
I feel bad for Trevor and I think the next contestants are getting a break from a potential juggernaut. Jon is steady but showed he could be outplayed.

Sometimes people cry negbait wantonly, but if the clue had omitted Pat Nixon, I get 747 easily. Instead, I went for Air Force One, which was the sole reason for mentioning Pat Nixon. Just say "this plane debuted in 1970, or whatever". I didn't know when the "Air Force One" custom was established but knew it wasn't around since the Wright Brothers at least.

I don't think Satellite was that dumb a guess. Many of them have names and I've never seen a commercial plane with a name (another reason to choose AF1). (on further reflection - It isn't exactly Transportation, however :lol:).

I didn't realize MTM had Type 1 diabetes diagnosed at age 33 and I assumed she had adult onset type 2 for her. (I didn't get this one, being thrown off by the 'auto-immune' TOM. My younger brother endured Type 1 as a juvenile and lived 49 years with it (to age 54), the longest and oldest survivor I've ever met. We never heard of it as an 'auto-immune' disease and I think that terminology came later as the expression became better known.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sometimes people cry negbait wantonly, but if the clue had omitted Pat Nixon, I get 747 easily. Instead, I went for Air Force One, which was the sole reason for mentioning Pat Nixon. Just say "this plane debuted in 1970, or whatever". I didn't know when the "Air Force One" custom was established but knew it wasn't around since the Wright Brothers at least.
Basic outline knowledge of the JFK assasination should be enough to keep players from falling into that trap.
Serious airplane buffs know the Air Force One nomenclature has been around since the Truman administration.