The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 pm If you don't know the history of popes, you don't know about skipped regnal numbers, and you Occam's razor your way to the one that doesn't render either of the other two impossible. It's farther down on the board because hey, moon logic.
Or even if you don't know about skipped numbers, you still expect a trap, and thus think that VI is the wrong answer.
Two [edit: three] pages ago you had no idea how logic could be applied to that clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm still always expecting some kind of trap or catch.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Now you're just making excuses. There's a huge difference between "there's no logic to this" and ""this is the red herring answer".

Stop thinking so much. Keep it simple and see where it gets you.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

BobF wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:48 am
What language was the clue written in? If they wrote "Si tu parle French, (et tu le parle) tu parle cet langue" on a French version of Jeopardy!, you can be sure the correct question is "What is French?" "Quel est Francais?" Qu'est-ce que Français?
FTFY
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:56 pm
What language was the clue written in? If they wrote "Si tu parle French, (et tu le parle) tu parle cet langue" on a French version of Jeopardy!, you can be sure the correct question is "What is French?" "Quel est Francais?" Qu'est-ce que Français?
FTFY
Wouldn't it be "Qu'est-ce que c'est Francais?"
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

While that is more technically correct, in any episodes of Jéopardy! from Québec that I've ever watched the contestants omit the "c'est".
BobF

Post by BobF »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:09 pm
NoWhammies10 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:56 pm
FTFY
Wouldn't it be "Qu'est-ce que c'est Francais?"
Okay. Haven't had a conversation in French in 25 years, and that was, surprisingly, in Sweden.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 pm Can't say I've heard of Rob Lowe before.
Parks and Recreation didn't help?
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 pm WLT lamb at $200? That was my only miss in the category.
The curvy bone, that's a distinctive feature of a lamb chop
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:38 pmThe curvy bone, that's a distinctive feature of a lamb chop
Which you would know only if you've ever seen a lambchop before.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:17 am
Wheatley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:38 pmThe curvy bone, that's a distinctive feature of a lamb chop
Which you would know only if you've ever seen a lambchop before.
The show rewards you for knowing things. If you don't know things, you don't get rewarded. I didn't recognize that as lamb either, but I didn't go on a message board and complain about it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Again with the fancy-schmancy foods. I've checked every butcher and grocery store within an hour of me, and not a single one of them has lamb.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 am Again with the fancy-schmancy foods. I've checked every butcher and grocery store within an hour of me, and not a single one of them has lamb.
Didn't look too hard then. (Or, more likely, didn't Google well enough.)

Never had lamb here, didn't recognize it as lamb, but figured lamb was an Easter thing based on the connotations of lamb and easter (people who don't live in backwoods Michigan often see easter scenes with cute little chicks and ducks and lambs on them, not to mention the nickname "lamb of God" for Jesus, who the holiday is about).

For someone who says he wants to try, you don't look like your'e trying to me.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 am Never had lamb here, didn't recognize it as lamb, but figured lamb was an Easter thing based on the connotations of lamb and easter (people who don't live in backwoods Michigan often see easter scenes with cute little chicks and ducks and lambs on them, not to mention the nickname "lamb of God" for Jesus, who the holiday is about).

For someone who says he wants to try, you don't look like your'e trying to me.
I didn't associate lamb at all because "blah blah blah meat eaten at Easter" pavlov'd to ham for me, and that didn't look like a ham, so I was stuck.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got lamb from an early episode of M*A*S*H.

In the episode, the unit had treated a Greek unit so the Greeks gave them a lamb as a thank you present. (I'm not really sure why a military unit in Korea would have a lamb handy, but I digress). So the MASH (or should I say field hospital) gang decides to kill it and eat it. (I doubt a small lamb would feed everyone in the unit. But I guess as long as the half-dozen or so main characters got to feed their fat faces, they didn't really give a damn about anyone else. But again, I digress). But Radar foiled their plans by shipping the lamb to his family farm in Iowa. (Which would seem to violate a lot of custom laws about shipping live animals into the country, but once again, I digress).

Anyway, while they were waiting for the right time to slay the lamb, they had a scene where they were talking about eating it. Trapper mentioned he lived next door to a family when he was a kid that would roast a lamb every Easter. That is how I made the Easter connection and got this one.

Other than that, I have never heard of eating lamb at Easter. Yes, I've seen pictures of Jesus with baby animals, but I don't think of them getting eaten. We have always had ham or turkey if we were doing a big meal, never lamb.

I don't think I've ever eaten lamb. I have heard of people having a "leg of lamb". I agree it was a bit hard for the top row. If they'd had thrown in a bit about it being served with mint jelly, that would have made it easier.

I did not get Rob Lowe. I have heard of him, but I don't think I've ever seen anything he was in, never watched The West Wing.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:07 am I did not get Rob Lowe. I have heard of him, but I don't think I've ever seen anything he was in, never watched The West Wing.
What about those DirecTV commercials? That's pretty much the only place I know him from, other than an Austin Powers deleted scene.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:12 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:07 am I did not get Rob Lowe. I have heard of him, but I don't think I've ever seen anything he was in, never watched The West Wing.
What about those DirecTV commercials? That's pretty much the only place I know him from, other than an Austin Powers deleted scene.
Yes, I've seen those. I just didn't make the connection.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:07 am I got lamb from an early episode of M*A*S*H.

I don't think I've ever eaten lamb. I have heard of people having a "leg of lamb". I agree it was a bit hard for the top row. If they'd had thrown in a bit about it being served with mint jelly, that would have made it easier.

I did not get Rob Lowe. I have heard of him, but I don't think I've ever seen anything he was in, never watched The West Wing.
There is an American West narrative that cattle ranchers hated sheep because they ruin the pastures by eating the grass to the nub and killing it (as opposed to cows, I assume). So Scottish immigrants and their sheep were harassed and even killed if you believe some of the Westerns.

So, as a result only a few of us Midwesterners or Southerners have ever eaten lamb, and the reason I never will is in the spoiler. Don't read it if you ever want to eat lamb, you can't un-read it :!:
Spoiler
(It's supposed to be the meat that tastes the most like human :twisted:
On the other hand, when people mock us hillbillies for eating possum,
we just say we don't like it because it tastes too much like cat :lol:

I've heard of Rob Lowe only because of some controversy with a young girl and a video camera but I'm terrible at celebrity face recognition anyway. I wouldn't even recognize Alex Trebek if I saw him at the hardware store in a t-shirt.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In 1964 he embraced Sunni Islam & changed his name (again) to El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz

Malcolm X's wife was Betty Shabazz. Malcolm Little changed his name to Malcolm X. 1964 black Islam man go for Malcolm X in the top box.

Previous Malcolm X hits for this season:

#7357, aired 2016-09-13 AFRICAN AMERICANS $200: In 1953 this Nation of Islam leader founded & was the minister of Boston Temple No. 11

#7461, aired 2017-02-06 NATIONAL MUSEUM OF AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY AND CULTURE $2000: (Alex delivers the clue from the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C.) The tape recorder was used by this man, whose ideas for black activism couldn't be contained by the Nation of Islam, leading to the sad correctness of his prediction in his autobiography that, "I, too, will die by violence"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 pm Columbus was neither Spanish nor Portuguese?
Italian.
NHO "The Crown" or "sanctuary city".
Not surprising from someone who can't give the Emmys or current events even a once over...
I hope you weren't expecting sympathy from that...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 pm WLT Malcolm X at $400?
If they ask for a Black Muslim in the 60's on a low-value question, it's probably Malcom X. "He changed his name AGAIN" was hinting that it's someone you know best by an assumed name, such as "Malcolm X."
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing