Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JayK33 »

Is Boeing 747 correct then? That's what I blurted out having absolutely no idea what to say. Call that the biggest fluke I've ever made.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:15 am Serious airplane buffs know the Air Force One nomenclature has been around since the Truman administration.
Serious airplane buffs also know that--technically--Air Force One is not really a specific airplane (or airplanes, there are two 747-400s currently outfitted as "Air Force One"), but rather the ATC call sign for the airplane that is carrying the President.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm still curious why a first lady would be christening a civilian aircraft. Are the 747's the ones with two aisles like I've seen in the movies, or is that some other plane? I've been on over 50 round-trip airplane flights in my life, and have never been on a plane with two aisles, so I thought that those two-aisle planes were always made up for Hollywood.
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:33 am I'm still curious why a first lady would be christening a civilian aircraft. Are the 747's the ones with two aisles like I've seen in the movies, or is that some other plane? I've been on over 50 round-trip airplane flights in my life, and have never been on a plane with two aisles, so I thought that those two-aisle planes were always made up for Hollywood.
Planes with two aisles do exist in real life! They are called wide-body aircraft. You can see detailed maps at seatguru.com (for example, Boeing 767, 2-3-2 seating arrangement, Airbus A330, 2-4-2 seating in economy class, and Airbus A380, 3-4-3 seating in economy class).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The city anagrams values were screwed up. Yonkers for $600 (albeit with the DD extra time to think it through) and then slam dunks of Mesa and Ames for $800 and $1000? I think not.

I'm amused by the mental image of Pat Nixon whacking a champagne bottle against a satellite. So much for building it in a clean room.

Made a brief stop at the Concorde, but there's no way a Concorde would be christened in the U.S. since it was strictly French and British. So 747 it must be. With a tip of the hat to Kirk's employer, it was considered a major technological achievement at the time, hence the First Lady christening it.

I'm not sure why Matthew didn't link to a 747 seating chart, but here's one:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Unite ... -400_B.php
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Yonkers, but it was a little tough. My first thought was Syracuse, but saw that wouldn't work.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:15 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sometimes people cry negbait wantonly, but if the clue had omitted Pat Nixon, I get 747 easily. Instead, I went for Air Force One, which was the sole reason for mentioning Pat Nixon. Just say "this plane debuted in 1970, or whatever". I didn't know when the "Air Force One" custom was established but knew it wasn't around since the Wright Brothers at least.
Basic outline knowledge of the JFK assasination should be enough to keep players from falling into that trap.
Serious airplane buffs know the Air Force One nomenclature has been around since the Truman administration.
Two able contestants missed it entirely, and one fell into "that trap". Trap = negbait, but arguably, as Alietr pointed out, the FLOTUS reference might have steered people out of the Concorde 'trap' which was almost a concurrent thing. I thought the AF1 convention had been around and at least applied to any random plane the POTUS was on. I thought maybe 1970 was the first time a dedicated, custom aircraft was designed and engineered complete with survival toys and nuclear footballs, and it easily could have been spun that way for the public's consumption.

It's fine if the clue is for aviation buffs, but Alex offered that there was multiple guessbait, and it's surprising that Concorde didn't come up. The satellite guess wasn't so bad, except for the category - but FJ categories are notoriously ambiguous (remember sports and politics?)

No whine me, but ask for an aircraft debut in 1970 and it's an instaget for me (thank you Leslie Nielsen), although the christening angle is still a new wrinkle. I've gotten screwed by a baptism and a christening in the last few days :P . What next, do they christen cars? bicycles? skateboards? I've still never seen a commercial plane with a name.

I didn't bite on SST because I remembered the ozone layer controversy in 1973 (from College Chemistry discussion). I did think the US was in the consortium originally and dropped out likely due to greedy Corporate motives (or the Government wouldn't subsidize and was worried about Military tech supremacy?). It really was a dumb idea and it's time won't ever come (political rant redacted).

Well played, J! writers. Good luck Jon, and nice sole solve.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BobF

Post by BobF »

cthulhu wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:19 am Knew that MTM had Type 1 diabetes, which is the autoimmune type (Type 2 is not an autoimmune disorder).
I knew she had it too, but I had no idea diabetes was an autoimmune disease. I wouldn't have been confident enough to ring in until the other two people missed it. So, I guess it's semi-Lach trash for me.

I also said Concorde. For some reason I thought 747s had been around longer. Then when the reveal came, I remembered the CCR song Travelin' Band from 1969 where he sang about flying on a 737. Too late for me.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:08 am The city anagrams values were screwed up. Yonkers for $600 (albeit with the DD extra time to think it through) and then slam dunks of Mesa and Ames for $800 and $1000? I think not.
I think they wanted to put Mesa and Ames together for obvious reasons and Ames is good at the $1000 space as it isn't as well known as the other cities in the category.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:24 am Is Boeing 747 correct then? That's what I blurted out having absolutely no idea what to say. Call that the biggest fluke I've ever made.
That's what I came up with too, knowing absolutely nothing about aircraft. I'm considering it correct.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:33 am I'm still curious why a first lady would be christening a civilian aircraft. Are the 747's the ones with two aisles like I've seen in the movies, or is that some other plane? I've been on over 50 round-trip airplane flights in my life, and have never been on a plane with two aisles, so I thought that those two-aisle planes were always made up for Hollywood.
747s are specifically the ones with the second floor bubble (they have two aisles as well, but that wouldn't uniquely identify them). Snakes on a Plane, Inception, Air Force One. That one. And yes, Boeing 747 is acceptable.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

BobF wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:13 am Then when the reveal came, I remembered the CCR song Travelin' Band from 1969 where he sang about flying on a 737. Too late for me.
Sequential numbering isn't necessarily a giveaway with the Boeing 7-7s. While they started with the 707 in 1958, and the 727 (1964), 737 (1968), and 747 (1970) were introduced consecutively, the 767 (1982) came out a year earlier than the 757 (1983) and the 717 didn't debut until 1999.
I would prefer not to.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:13 pm I might cut the guy some slack for the second DD bet if you don't like anagrams. But giving the state was a pretty huge hint.
Most contestants don't go straight for a category if they don't like it. (I would for strategic purposes that should be obvious but aren't to most) And even if they don't like the category then wager $5 instead of a useless round number.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Hit the DD on the first clue, and don't wager $1,000? Eh, whatever, he ran the category.

That College DD was proof that Occam's Razor doesn't work. "Well, alphabetically first. Must be an A college, right? Oh wait, there are no A colleges in California and oh wait time's up." For all I know, it could've been a G. Or a Q.

I had "Desert" on $800 but was stumped on how to BMS it.

"Allegation" is one of those words that I've heard, but couldn't tell you what it meant. My only miss in the category, too.

"Crystal radio"?!? Also my only miss in the category.

WLT Brooklyn at $200? That could be any of the five boroughs.

Ran Anagrammed Cities.

Letter for $400 was confusing as all hell. I can understand the TS too.

Interesting that they reversed "Prohibitionist" right away, instead of waiting for the start of FJ!

I've seen a few Marvel movies in my day, but I whiffed on "Avengers".

I kept forgetting the category on "Love", but I've NHO "Love Story" anyway.

No guess on FJ! I saw no way at all to figure this out.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:03 am I thought the AF1 convention had been around and at least applied to any random plane the POTUS was on.
You raise an interesting question; I'm not sure that any president has been on a non-military aircraft while in office and I don't know what the call would be in that case. But the "[service name] One" convention applies to any military aircraft POTUS is on.

To be pedantic, Air Force One is the call sign used by any USAF aircraft POTUS is aboard. If someone else is flying aboard one of the specially equipped planes, as occasionally happens, the call sign is SAM 123 (or some such number), the SAM standing for "Special Air Mission". But, the movies actually got one right when Harrison Ford is rescued at the end of the movie "Air Force One" when the aircraft commander of the C-130 advises "Liberty 24 is changing call sign, Liberty 24 is now Air Force One" (despite how inaccurate most of the rest of the movie was).

Other service names are substituted as needed. When POTUS choppers from the WH to Andrews AFB or to Camp David, the call sign for the helicopter is "Marine One." When G.W. Bush landed on the carrier Abraham Lincoln in an S-3 Viking for the infamous "mission accomplished" speech, the call sign for the aircraft was "Navy One."

Air Force One as a specific POTUS call sign has been around since early in the Eisenhower administration. But you're right, "Air Force One" is a call sign and not a specific airplane, though in common usage it has come to mean one of the specially-equipped aircraft designated for presidential use.

The USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH, has a great exhibit of a number of presidential aircraft, including FDR's, Truman's, and Eisenhower's, along with one of the 707s used by Kennedy through G.H.W. Bush (the other is at the Reagan Library) -- you can still see where they cut one of the bulkheads to make room for JFK's casket on the trip back to D.C. after the assassination.

Sorry -- didn't mean to go into lecture mode.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm That College DD was proof that Occam's Razor doesn't work. "Well, alphabetically first. Must be an A college, right? Oh wait, there are no A colleges in California and oh wait time's up." For all I know, it could've been a G. Or a Q.
Actually, it was proof that Occam's Razor does work, as Berkeley is the home to the flagship campus of the University of California system and should be the first one that comes to mind when asked about it.
WLT Brooklyn at $200? That could be any of the five boroughs.
Flatbush. Which is in Brooklyn.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:52 pm The USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH, has a great exhibit of a number of presidential aircraft, including FDR's, Truman's, and Eisenhower's, along with one of the 707s used by Kennedy through G.H.W. Bush (the other is at the Reagan Library) -- you can still see where they cut one of the bulkheads to make room for JFK's casket on the trip back to D.C. after the assassination.
Yeah, it's really close between the USAF Museum and Udvar-Hazy as my favorite, but the AF1 display was worth the visit alone.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:52 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:03 am I thought the AF1 convention had been around and at least applied to any random plane the POTUS was on.
You raise an interesting question; I'm not sure that any president has been on a non-military aircraft while in office and I don't know what the call would be in that case. But the "[service name] One" convention applies to any military aircraft POTUS is on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_One (Nixon is the only one to have flown with this call sign).
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Recalling when the 747 hit the skies, it was a very big thing then (literally and metaphorically), so it makes sense that it was "christened" like a ship.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alamble wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm That College DD was proof that Occam's Razor doesn't work. "Well, alphabetically first. Must be an A college, right? Oh wait, there are no A colleges in California and oh wait time's up." For all I know, it could've been a G. Or a Q.
Actually, it was proof that Occam's Razor does work, as Berkeley is the home to the flagship campus of the University of California system and should be the first one that comes to mind when asked about it.
[citation needed]