Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dinghammer
No Relation

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dinghammer »

alamble wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm That College DD was proof that Occam's Razor doesn't work. "Well, alphabetically first. Must be an A college, right? Oh wait, there are no A colleges in California and oh wait time's up." For all I know, it could've been a G. Or a Q.
Actually, it was proof that Occam's Razor does work, as Berkeley is the home to the flagship campus of the University of California system and should be the first one that comes to mind when asked about it.
Santa Cruz, home of the Banana Slugs, is the first UC campus I always think of, so it took me a couple seconds to move on from that and through the As (no UC Alameda! (and yes, Berkeley is in Alameda County)), and by that time, Jon had answered.
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Wow...Jon completely went berserk on his bet after a poor haphazard bet from Friday. He didn't bet enough to cover from 3rd or 2nd when he became champ, and now he became a 2-time champ because of this?! It amazes me. I thought from watching those numbers, we were hoping for another 1-time champ, but...that ends with a solo get? Talk about rolling the odds. Jon is a balls-deep gutsy competitor and made it work.
Last edited by MTGcollegestudent on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:14 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm That College DD was proof that Occam's Razor doesn't work. "Well, alphabetically first. Must be an A college, right? Oh wait, there are no A colleges in California and oh wait time's up." For all I know, it could've been a G. Or a Q.
Actually, it was proof that Occam's Razor does work, as Berkeley is the home to the flagship campus of the University of California system and should be the first one that comes to mind when asked about it.
[citation needed]
No, not really.

I'm guessing 90% of those who got this one correct thought of Berkeley first and then tried to think if there was any "A" city with a UC to bump Berkeley from first alphabetically.
Bartleby wrote:the 717 didn't debut until 1999
True, but this one is a bit of a cheat. The 717 is really the MD-95, which is a DC-9 derivative. It was rebadged 717 after Boeing's merger with McDonnell Douglas.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:14 pm
[citation needed]
No, it's common knowledge.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My first thought was actually Anaheim. But that isn't in northern California and no other A cities came to mind so I settled on Berkeley.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Chalk me up as another one for the Concorde, but I was fairly certain 1970 was too early for that. I was a bit surprised that the 747 debuted that late.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Figured Pat Nixon wouldn't be there unless it was government-related.
So I guessed the first Amtrak train... :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:59 pm Figured Pat Nixon wouldn't be there unless it was government-related.
So I guessed the first Amtrak train... :roll:
Amtrak started in 1971, so you weren't too far off in your timeline.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

So are 747's and other two-aisle aircraft only for international flights these days, or do they do some domestic runs? I've flown from some fairly busy airports to others, like from Denver to LAX or Philadelphia to Miami or Washington National to Miami, but the fact that these planes are real fascinates me, and I was just curious what airports I'd have to fly to and from to be on one of these things. I don't have a passport.

And yes, I understand the extreme irony of someone from the Dayton area who is really familiar with military aircraft being a complete dunce when it comes to civilian aircraft.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm So are 747's and other two-aisle aircraft only for international flights these days, or do they do some domestic runs? I've flown from some fairly busy airports to others, like from Denver to LAX or Philadelphia to Miami or Washington National to Miami, but the fact that these planes are real fascinates me, and I was just curious what airports I'd have to fly to and from to be on one of these things. I don't have a passport.

And yes, I understand the extreme irony of someone from the Dayton area who is really familiar with military aircraft being a complete dunce when it comes to civilian aircraft.
Well, it's technically domestic... when I flew to Hawaii last year (Hawaiian Airlines), the LAX inbound and outbound legs were twin aisle Airbus A330s.

More domestically, the Denver-LAX (United) leg of my return from Baltimore trip is going to be on a 777.

That's it though...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Map (5), College (3), Health (2), Mary Tyler Moore (4), Make (3), "ALL" (1)
President (3), Letter (0), Underwater (3), Anagram (3), Marvel (2), "LOVE" (4)

Lach Trash: To Sir, with Love, Ross Perot

Since the 777 and 787 were more recent, I just assumed that it was around the time of the 747.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So since when do we christen planes?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:39 am So since when do we christen planes?
At least since January 15, 1970.
BobF

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:39 am So since when do we christen planes?
Since December 17, 1903.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:59 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:52 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:03 am I thought the AF1 convention had been around and at least applied to any random plane the POTUS was on.
You raise an interesting question; I'm not sure that any president has been on a non-military aircraft while in office and I don't know what the call would be in that case. But the "[service name] One" convention applies to any military aircraft POTUS is on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_One (Nixon is the only one to have flown with this call sign).
Very good info, thanks! We need to watch for that on FJ -- would make a great question.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:59 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:52 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:03 am I thought the AF1 convention had been around and at least applied to any random plane the POTUS was on.
You raise an interesting question; I'm not sure that any president has been on a non-military aircraft while in office and I don't know what the call would be in that case. But the "[service name] One" convention applies to any military aircraft POTUS is on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_One (Nixon is the only one to have flown with this call sign).
I'm surprised that Nixon is the only one to have done so, [best attempt at non partisan comments] I believe Trump had his own aircraft before he became President, and he doesn't strike me as the type to give up any more of the life he had before than he absolutely has to, you're saying he's never flown on his personal private jet since he was elected? [/best attempt at non partisan comments]
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:18 am I got Yonkers, but it was a little tough. My first thought was Syracuse, but saw that wouldn't work.
I grew up in Yonkers, so that one was a gimme. Had more trouble with San Diego

Took me far too long to come up with Love's Labours Lost - probably would've been negged!!

LT: X, Ross Perot (also shocked they missed it)

I got FJ on a guess, but I generally do poorly on anything relating to planes, trains or automobiles. Help!
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm guessing the Secret Service pretty much told him he wasn't allowed to take his own plane.

As for Nixon, he was in air at the moment Ford was being sworn in. I wonder what his call sign changed to?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 pm I'm guessing the Secret Service pretty much told him he wasn't allowed to take his own plane.

As for Nixon, he was in air at the moment Ford was being sworn in. I wonder what his call sign changed to?
According to protocol, once he ceased being president, Air Force One should have changed call signs to "SAM xxxx". As a practical matter, they may have retained the call sign until landing, but that would have assumed no need for Ford to be airborne simultaneously. As with Bush on 9/11, sometimes presidents take off with haste.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 pm I'm guessing the Secret Service pretty much told him he wasn't allowed to take his own plane.

According to protocol, once he ceased being president, Air Force One should have changed call signs to "SAM xxxx". As a practical matter, they may have retained the call sign until landing, but that would have assumed no need for Ford to be airborne simultaneously. As with Bush on 9/11, sometimes presidents take off with haste.
But wasn't Nixon already effectively out of office when he got in the plane, despite Ford not being sworn in? Nixon's presidency ended when his resignation was recieved by the Secretary of State (PS what makes the SoS the figure to receive such things?) at 11:35, Ford's swearing in was at 12:05, but Nixon left shortly after 9:00, was he still in the air 2 and a half hours later? (Take note that swearing in doesn't always mean that you're automatically president from that point, as those who like to debunk the David Chase Atkinson myth like to use in their arsenal (Although that makes me wonder about those eight presidents that succeeded their dead predecessors, was there an interregnum of a few hours?))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012