Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:21 pm Jumbo jet here. :(
Strictly speaking, you weren't wrong. The 747 is often referred to as the first "jumbo jet," although that's not quite a term of art to the extent that "widebody" is. Your response might not have been considered specific enough by the judges. (However, given the wording of the clue, I think there's a strong argument they would have had to accept something along the lines of "widebody passenger jet.")

BTW, why was the question even raised above as to whether "Boeing 747" was acceptable? That's the make and model of the plane.
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm So are 747's and other two-aisle aircraft only for international flights these days, or do they do some domestic runs? I've flown from some fairly busy airports to others, like from Denver to LAX or Philadelphia to Miami or Washington National to Miami, but the fact that these planes are real fascinates me, and I was just curious what airports I'd have to fly to and from to be on one of these things. I don't have a passport.
It used to be much more common for widebodies like DC-10's and 747's to be deployed on domestic routes in the U.S., and not just those of transcontinental length (and you still see that a lot in some other countries). Now, even when you fly from one of NYC's airports to LAX for example, you'll usually get a single-aisle Boeing 737 or 757, or an Airbus 320, depending on the airline. Some airlines these days even use single-aisle Boeing 757's, or the new 737 MAX, for shorter transatlantic routes such as Newark to London. As mentioned by other commenters above, sometimes you'll still end up on a widebody for an intra-U.S. flight -- like when I was on a 777 from Atlanta to JFK one time last year. But the trend has long been towards smaller planes which allow for the airlines to operate more flights per day on a given route and/or fly with higher "load factors" (percentage of the seats that are full; operating with higher load factors is generally more profitable for the airlines. Flights in 2017 are much more likely to be completely full than was the case 2 or 3 decades ago.). And on many routes of about 3 hours flying time or less, you're stuck on even tinier "regional" jets which are single aisle, with the economy class seats in either a 1-2 or 2-2 configuration in each row, and a relatively small number of rows.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Assuming Boeing made the 747 in the answer, I would think they would take it.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:49 pm Assuming Boeing made the 747 in the answer, I would think they would take it.
Well, it wasn't made by McDonnell-Douglas. :) Boeing made the 747 in the answer, as well as somewhere north of 1,500 others so far. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 pm My first thought was actually Anaheim. But that isn't in northern California and no other A cities came to mind so I settled on Berkeley.
Plus, Anaheim's not really a UC kind of town. I could see a Cal State there.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:20 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 pm My first thought was actually Anaheim. But that isn't in northern California and no other A cities came to mind so I settled on Berkeley.
Simplest take: "Okay, they want alphabetically first, so it must be a California city beginning with A." #nope
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:17 pm (PS what makes the SoS the figure to receive such things?)
Federal law requires it (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/3/20), but why the SoS? I'd guess because he's #3 in Executive Branch rank after the Pres and VP.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:20 pm
Could, but the area's pretty well set. UC Irvine is down the road, Cal State Fullerton is up the road.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:38 pm As mentioned by other commenters above, sometimes you'll still end up on a widebody for an intra-U.S. flight -- like when I was on a 777 from Atlanta to JFK one time last year. But the trend has long been towards smaller planes which allow for the airlines to operate more flights per day on a given route and/or fly with higher "load factors" (percentage of the seats that are full; operating with higher load factors is generally more profitable for the airlines.
I imagine if you're flying between an airline's hubs, you've got good odds at getting a wide body. (E.g., Denver/LAX on United, I'm guessing Atlanta/JFK on Delta?)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:49 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:38 pm As mentioned by other commenters above, sometimes you'll still end up on a widebody for an intra-U.S. flight -- like when I was on a 777 from Atlanta to JFK one time last year. But the trend has long been towards smaller planes which allow for the airlines to operate more flights per day on a given route and/or fly with higher "load factors" (percentage of the seats that are full; operating with higher load factors is generally more profitable for the airlines.
I imagine if you're flying between an airline's hubs, you've got good odds at getting a wide body. (E.g., Denver/LAX on United, I'm guessing Atlanta/JFK on Delta?)
I had a wide body once (767) from SLC to MCO with Delta, so not always hubs.
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:17 pm But wasn't Nixon already effectively out of office when he got in the plane, despite Ford not being sworn in? Nixon's presidency ended when his resignation was recieved by the Secretary of State (PS what makes the SoS the figure to receive such things?) at 11:35, Ford's swearing in was at 12:05, but Nixon left shortly after 9:00, was he still in the air 2 and a half hours later? (Take note that swearing in doesn't always mean that you're automatically president from that point, as those who like to debunk the David Chase Atkinson myth like to use in their arsenal (Although that makes me wonder about those eight presidents that succeeded their dead predecessors, was there an interregnum of a few hours?))
According to The Nixon Resignation Quiz in The Washington Post, Ford became president at 11:35AM even though he wasn't sworn in until 28 minutes later. I imagine a lawyer would say that the Vice President becomes president at the moment of the former president's resignation or death, and has a legal obligation to take the oath of office as soon as practicable afterward.

Of course if the president dies or resigns while the vice presidency is vacant, there would be an interregnum.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Also, Nixon was airborne at the time Ford took the oath; apparently 13 miles southwest of Jefferson City, Missouri. According to a book by Kenneth T. Walsh, the call sign of Nixon's plane changed at that moment to SAM 27000.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Mathew5000 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:20 am
dhkendall wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:17 pm But wasn't Nixon already effectively out of office when he got in the plane, despite Ford not being sworn in? Nixon's presidency ended when his resignation was recieved by the Secretary of State (PS what makes the SoS the figure to receive such things?) at 11:35, Ford's swearing in was at 12:05, but Nixon left shortly after 9:00, was he still in the air 2 and a half hours later? (Take note that swearing in doesn't always mean that you're automatically president from that point, as those who like to debunk the David Chase Atkinson myth like to use in their arsenal (Although that makes me wonder about those eight presidents that succeeded their dead predecessors, was there an interregnum of a few hours?))
According to The Nixon Resignation Quiz in The Washington Post, Ford became president at 11:35AM even though he wasn't sworn in until 28 minutes later. I imagine a lawyer would say that the Vice President becomes president at the moment of the former president's resignation or death, and has a legal obligation to take the oath of office as soon as practicable afterward.

Of course if the president dies or resigns while the vice presidency is vacant, there would be an interregnum.
Great quiz! Question 5 showed me why I thought Nixon was airborne at the time of succession -- in his speech the night before he said, "Therefore, I will resign the Presidency effective at noon tomorrow."

However, the actual text of the letter said "I hereby resign..." with no time given, making it effective immediately upon receipt.

I love this board.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:11 pm Great quiz! Question 5 showed me why I thought Nixon was airborne at the time of succession -- in his speech the night before he said, "Therefore, I will resign the Presidency effective at noon tomorrow."

However, the actual text of the letter said "I hereby resign..." with no time given, making it effective immediately upon receipt.
Yes, the letter itself can be viewed here, and does not mention any particular time. Strangely though, the Ford Presidential Library has an account setting out the text of the letter as follows: "I hereby resign the Office of President of the United States, effective twelve noon, Eastern Standard Time, on August 9, 1974." I assume this is just a mistake.

The NYT obituary of Colonel Ralph D. Abertazzie (pilot of Air Force One) indicates that the request for a call sign change was not made until Ford was sworn in. Maybe Colonel Abertazzie was unaware that the actual resignation took effect at 11:35 when the letter was delivered to Secretary Kissinger.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 pm I had a wide body once
Seriously guys? Do I have to do all he work around here? I'm on vacation in California. Surely SOMEBODY could've made the obligatory quip in my absence. I feel like I'm the only one who's... uh... pulling his own weight.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:07 am
Seriously guys? Do I have to do all he work around here? I'm on vacation in California. Surely SOMEBODY could've made the obligatory quip in my absence. I feel like I'm the only one who's... uh... pulling his own weight.
Maybe if you ever put down that double-dip ice cream cone ...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:38 pm BTW, why was the question even raised above as to whether "Boeing 747" was acceptable? That's the make and model of the plane.
I was confused by this, too. Not sure what people were thinking...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:41 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:07 am
Maybe if you ever put down that double-dip ice cream cone ...
I'm still giggling over this. You are a mischievous if benevolent deity.