The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by BobF »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 pm Columbus was neither Spanish nor Portuguese?
Italian.
NHO "The Crown" or "sanctuary city".
Not surprising from someone who can't give the Emmys or current events even a once over...
I hope you weren't expecting sympathy from that...
Wheatley wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 pm WLT Malcolm X at $400?
If they ask for a Black Muslim in the 60's on a low-value question, it's probably Malcom X. "He changed his name AGAIN" was hinting that it's someone you know best by an assumed name, such as "Malcolm X."
Both of those super simple for people who grew up in New Jersey. Tons of Italian-Americans there (including me the first 30 years of my life) and they make a huge deal about Columbus Day - or at least did until it became extremely un-PC. And Malcolm X's widow Betty Shabazz lived in NJ and there's a school in Newark(?) named after him.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ON JULY 4TH $200: On July 4, 1966 Congress created a commission for this event, but it only lasted 8 years, not the full 10

1966+10=1976

Hmmm, big event on July 4th, 1976 that might need a commission? The Bicentennial. If you or anyone else got thrown by the 8 and worked on 1974 then good luck.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 am ON JULY 4TH $200: On July 4, 1966 Congress created a commission for this event, but it only lasted 8 years, not the full 10

1966+10=1976

Hmmm, big event on July 4th, 1976 that might need a commission? The Bicentennial. If you or anyone else got thrown by the 8 and worked on 1974 then good luck.

I got thrown by thinking what could've started on July 4, 1966 that would've ended up lasting only 8 years instead of 10.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 am ON JULY 4TH $200: On July 4, 1966 Congress created a commission for this event, but it only lasted 8 years, not the full 10

1966+10=1976

I got thrown by thinking what could've started on July 4, 1966 that would've ended up lasting only 8 years instead of 10.

When would it have ended if it had lasted ten years?
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

1966+10=1976

Why did you add 10? Seems like a random number to add there.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:54 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 am

1966+10=1976

When would it have ended if it had lasted ten years?
To me, spotting the 1966 and saying that the commission was created then had me coming up high and dry thinking of what big thing could've happened in 1966.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nlw44 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 pm The TOM on Boswell was the biography of Samuel Johnson. This bit of knowledge is classic Jeopardy stuff.
[citation needed]
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:38 pm
nlw44 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 pm The TOM on Boswell was the biography of Samuel Johnson. This bit of knowledge is classic Jeopardy stuff.
[citation needed]
http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:55 pm
[citation needed]
or this: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3 ... ll#p197566
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

[citation needed]
Thank you, Bamaman. But honestly, I would have thought that TPH could take the simple and obvious step to do the J! Archive search himself.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nlw44 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 pm
[citation needed]
Thank you, Bamaman. But honestly, I would have thought that TPH could take the simple and obvious step to do the J! Archive search himself.
You must be new here.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

[citation needed]
We already have a lmgtfy.com. Perhaps there could be a lmjastfy.com?
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm
[citation needed]
You must be new here.
Not at all. Usually I sigh to myself in exasperation and/or amazement, but just sometimes I can't keep myself from venting. Some years ago I replied to a typical TPH post with the tried and true, "Sometimes you just have to know stuff." The line has been used before and since, but it does no good so I try to rise above the fray. Obviously, not tonight.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I searched using "boswell" "diary" site:jboard.tv and got no results.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:36 pmWimbledon was pretty straightforward
[citation needed]
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:01 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:36 pmWimbledon was pretty straightforward
[citation needed]
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38313318

Any time there is a reference to tea you should assume it is about the UK. Unless it sounds like some kind of special asian tea which they would draw attention to. If they simply mention tea then you should think it has something to do with the UK. Or if the clue has something to do with the Boston tea party. Except for those special cases tea should be Pavlov for UK.

There aren't that many Jeopardy! significant sporting events in the UK. The article I linked above mentions the top events by attendance, 1) Wimbledon, 2) F1 British Grand Prix, 3) Royal Ascot horseracing, etc...

The two British sporting events you should definitely be aware of for Jeopardy! are probably Wimbledon and the British Open.

Wimbledon is one of the four grand slam events in tennis. The other three are the Australian Open, the French Open, and the US Open.

The British Open is one of the four majors in golf. The other three majors are the US Open, the Masters Tournament, and the PGA championship.

The format of tennis is a tournament bracket and so it has quarterfinals. As far as I know auto racing, horse racing, and golf do not have quarter final events.

So because the question gave you a sporting event and tea you should have been thinking of British sporting events and Wimbledon should have been one of the first few you thought of. When they gave you quarter-finals you should have been able to eliminate the others.

I didn't know that Wimbledon quarter-finalists received lifetime tea and tickets but the clue was really just asking you to name a big British sporting event with a few hints.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Tea had me waffling between UK and China. Sports + UK and sports + China had me coming up high and dry. Wimbeldon could be held on Mars for all I know.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

WLT "poor" at $200? That whole category was very YEKIOYD.
Actually, the category was the exact opposite of YEKIOYD. No one would be expected to know Confucius quotes. Instead, they expected people to deduce the opposite of rich, for example. At most, they expected you to know that Confucian thought honored ancestors, so "mother and father" were the people you're supposed to stay close to while they're alive.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:01 pm
[citation needed]
It would be impractical to give free tickets for life to an entire team, they'd quickly run out. so it's probably a solo or pairs sport. Golf doesn't have a tournament bracket, so what other sport could it be?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:12 am Tea had me waffling between UK and China. Sports + UK and sports + China had me coming up high and dry. Wimbeldon could be held on Mars for all I know.
Geez man, seriously? I'm not a big follower of Tennis, but even I know Wimbledon is held in England (on grass, also!). There was also a crappy motion picture about it a while back (but not TOO long ago).
Now swimming in the J! pool.