New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm On an old videotape, I have found a copy of the March 14, 2002 game, sans player intros. Anyone know what Hanley Baxter's returning totals were for that day?
I do.

This is great seeing all of these S18 games getting knocked off.

Oh yeah, the answer. $44,202.
Thanks. I haven't had to do a game from an actual tape for a long time, and VLC player has spoiled me. Pausing a 15-year-old tape on an even-older VCR doesn't give me the clear screen-cap I'm used to. But I'm only 3 away from being caught up on the Daily Motion games, so I have to dig into the piles. I'm struggling with what to do with all these old VHS cassettes. It's hard to just throw them away, but there's nothing else to do with them. I wish I had decent equipment to dub some of the stuff and put it on YouTube, not full games, necessarily, but segments of things or interesting commercials, but I have neither that, nor the time right now. But I can get Simpsons elsewhere, I can get MST3K elsewhere. Still, what if some day I wish I had them?

Also on this tape was the final round of a George Grey Weakest Link, which was interesting to watch. I didn't much care for the main game, but I loved the head-to-head trivia challenge of the finals.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:05 pmAlso on this tape was the final round of a George Grey Weakest Link, which was interesting to watch. I didn't much care for the main game, but I loved the head-to-head trivia challenge of the finals.
I still don't get the appeal of TWL. "Sure, let's have the host spew vitriolic insults* at the contestants to make them feel like shit, and get them all riled up so they sabotage each other and never get anywhere close to the intended money goal."

*Yes, I'm aware George Gray hurled insults on Extreme Gong as well. Thankfully, I think he's redeemed himself as TPIR's current announcer.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Animfan1 has posted the December 30, 1986 and January 1, 1987 episodes on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Steve Brown played Harvey Barron & Ann Wheeler: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5705

pics of the guys (Ann posted previously)
Spoiler

MUSEUMS $100 has another for the OxCam withe the Ashmolean.

Ann gave each guy a handshake and a kiss after the match.

Harvey in the first round was a nightmare to archive and had me dreading each time he rang in. He shaped up in the DJ! round.

Yeah, writers, nice pinning in LIT $600 leaving it wide open for a player to pick a Burnett work.

Neil Goldschmidt the unknown guy in OREGONAIANS isn't related to Slowik, is he?

No music needed for the Audio DD.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:58 pm Animfan1 has posted the December 30, 1986 and January 1, 1987 episodes on Dailymotion:

Are they still there? I can't seem to find them.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Lore wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:46 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:58 pm Animfan1 has posted the December 30, 1986 and January 1, 1987 episodes on Dailymotion:

Are they still there? I can't seem to find them.
Jeff adjusted for the J-Archive dating. Check again.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Animfan1 has posted the January 2, 1987 (the correct airdate for Keith Bell game 1) episode on Dailymotion:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Linda Shewey played Ira Levine & Lance King: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5706

Player pics
Spoiler
He could not look more like banker Ira Levine if he tried.

Take a look at NURSERY RHYMES $500 as Alex was not letting Lance piggyback off the previous misses with a short cut.

THE INSTRUMENT PLAYED: Woody Allen, Jimmy Dorsey, & Artie Shaw (4/30 game)

IF ANYONE ASKS:Of Tommy Dorsey or Jimmy Dorsey, the one who played sax (4/29 game)

I did not know what to do with Alex's long-winded clarification about Dorsey playing one instrument in the game I archived and Dorsey playing a different instrument in the previous game's clue. It was something about the bandleader commonly playing both.

The less than a minute to go warning at clue 17 was crazy and I would blame it most on the category switching as the Audio DD did not take up that much time. I knew the fort's name in 2017 and I would have known it 30 years ago as well. What a dumb show! Larry Storch (94) & Ken Berry (83) are both still around.

I went with 2 words each for the correct responses in the FJ! round, but it was really hard to be sure with clear spacing, but not too wide of a gap to have also been one word.

Linda died in 2011: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/gaines ... =150096292

That's 20 games I got in the Archive in June. I'll do more in July, but I'm going to take a week's sanity break (and give the neglected DVR some attention) surrounding the 4th and resume on July 10th.

I have not run out of games yet although I'm getting there as far as regular play goes.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 pm I have not run out of games yet although I'm getting there as far as regular play goes.
You've been doing amazing work, Mark. Thank you.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 pmTake a look at NURSERY RHYMES $500 as Alex was not letting Lance piggyback off the previous misses with a short cut.
I don't recognize $200, $400, or $500 at all. Clearly nursery rhymes are another hammerhouse for me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:42 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:11 pmTake a look at NURSERY RHYMES $500 as Alex was not letting Lance piggyback off the previous misses with a short cut.
I don't recognize $200, $400, or $500 at all. Clearly nursery rhymes are another hammerhouse for me.
The antonym of wheelhouse. I like it!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5691

Another December 1986 game with date issues, this is Eric Balaban vs. Maria Lasalvia-Seliga vs. Phyllis McDonald.

New to the Jeopardy canon this game: the game of snapdragon and the etymologies of "backlash" and "backlog", and Christian heavy metal band Stryper (in a clue, not as a response).

Didn't expect to be entering another Celebrity Sweepstakes reference so quickly, but Alex had a slip on the tongue when announcing the DD at CELEBRITY SECRETS for $500, so there you go.

Hat's off to whichever writer made the cleanliness/Godliness connection between Sherman Hemsley's TV roles. I enjoyed that.

Clue of the game will be SITCOMS for $1000, since we were talking about Lucille Ball's co-stars a month or so ago.
Lucille Ball's first choice to play Fred Mertz, he had to wait till "The Lucy Show" to co-star with her
Spoiler
Who is Gale Gordon?
The Speed Queen washer won by the 3rd place player is "like those used in coin-op laundries." Heck of a selling point there, guys. Though, to be fair, those things have to be heavy duty.

Final Jeopardy is the kind of puzzler they used to have all the time for FJ. These days it would earn "Was this a Kids Week clue" scorn. I liked it, though. Eric was quite firm that he'd changed it to the correct response, and I believe him.
1986-12-16_FJ.jpg
1986-12-16_FJ.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 12827 times
Have a good weekend.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That picture...yeesh. I think I would've ruled against him. I can't even convince myself that I kinda sorta halfway see where there might be an A or an R in that illegible mess. At best, it looks more like an M and either an E or two Ls to me. It's almost like a FJ Rorschach test.

And yeah, as a fan of both shows, I got a kick out of that Sherman Hemsley clue too.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Since people sometimes use this thread to discuss things related to old games:

In the seventh episode of the Netflix series GLOW, set in 1985, this episode is playing on a TV at one point.
Spoiler

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Thanks for posting the screencaps. :)
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

In regards to the just-posted game from 1986, can anyone explain this clue:

Spinal Pluck

I understand the "spinal" part, just not the "pluck"

Thanks!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JeuParti wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 am In regards to the just-posted game from 1986, can anyone explain this clue:

Spinal Pluck

I understand the "spinal" part, just not the "pluck"

Thanks!
Don't think pluck like pulling feathers.

PLUCK as a noun:
spirited and determined courage.
synonyms: courage, bravery, nerve, backbone, spine, daring, spirit, intrepidity, fearlessness, mettle, grit, true grit, determination, fortitude, resolve, stout-heartedness, dauntlessness, valor, heroism, audacity; More
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Maybe there should be a JeuParti Education Thread.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Animfan1 has posted the December 23, 1986 (the correct airdate for Frank Hughes game 5) episode on Dailymotion:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:59 am Animfan1 has posted the December 23, 1986 (the correct airdate for Frank Hughes game 5) episode on Dailymotion:

I removed three tags for the games leading to Frank's run that indicated may be a week earlier.